Coronavirus

seven

It was Majid Nawaaz on LBC Radio who announced this.. dont take my word for it.. he is a well respected pillar of the community , a man of reason

of course it discriminates ... old, heavy smokers who live in extended families are certainly more likely to die for instance

• Like 1

why do you think the death rate in Italy is so high... older population , extended type family gatherings , heavy smoking .. so if you add in religious worship with your fellows in a crowded place your chances of biting the dust are a tad higher 

1 hour ago, Tomcat said:

Some Scientists have put the lower estimate at 45,000,000 in UK but of course its still a theory among others but  its getting more credence every day. In Wuhan there is speculation that 80% may have in fact have had it and so herd immunity was reached.

Again if you had 45M cases in the UK your medical system would have been overrun IMO.

It was on the national news (SKY) .. its not my theory.they wheeled out some expert.  ...  just 28 died in England today ..anyway the testing will reveal the true figure very soon

Im just making a comment . I have no political view attached. Like David Hume said , " you cant get an ought from an is "

3 minutes ago, Tomcat said:

It was on the national news .. its not my theory.

I'm sorry but that makes no sense. Even if 1% of COVID-19 patents needed hospitalization (which in reality is a way low number) the UK hospitals would have seen 450k patents. So the hospitals didn't notice this was happening? If they even saw 45k patients with similar symptoms would that no set off alarm bells?

1 hour ago, xyzzy said:

I'm sorry but that makes no sense. Even if 1% of COVID-19 patents needed hospitalization (which in reality is a way low number) the UK hospitals would have seen 450k patents. So the hospitals didn't notice this was happening? If they even saw 45k patients with similar symptoms would that no set off alarm bells?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oxmu2rwsnhi9j9c/Draft-COVID-19-Model (13).pdf?dl=0

Oxford University ... more than two-thirds of the UK may have already been infected with the coronavirus.

This i do believe is the basis texts of what i was alluding to .. of course it may be wrong

• Like 1

There would be no reason to bet. Even if the unpublished study is right, which I doubt, you could still be in the 50% that didn't have the virus and be at risk. I still find it ludicrous that 45M in the UK could have the virus without at least a serious mortality rate in the elderly or immune compromised.

I won't bet my house but how much would you like to wager?

23 minutes ago, Tomcat said:

hang on ... my point was that you dismissed what i said out of hand when its clearly not the case. I was making some observations on the current thinking

And I posted a response, that was printed today (that makes it current thinking), with information by doctors that disagree with the UNPUBLISHED study you mentioned.

Maybe I have this wrong. Have 50% had the virus and already recovered? Or do 50% have the virus and a large number will now get sick? If they have already recovered it makes absolutely no sense that there would not be a large number of deaths of the elderly and immune compromised. Perhaps COVID-19 can be cured with a stiff upper lip. Or there is some other UK magic that makes this virus less serious. If 50% have it now but aren't showing symptoms yet I misunderstood and wish the UK all the best luck as they will need it.

IMO that study will turn out to be seriously flawed. So I felt the need to point that out and not just let it go by as fact. So I post a rebuttal of that study that also consulted doctors. The study sounds like something Trump would say. If I turn out to be wrong I will apologize. Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong but IMO the virus facts just don't support the claim unless the UK has some miraculous way that people with COVOD-19 don't get sick.

I will stop now as there is no point in continuing. You made your point and I made mine. 

An open letter from a NYC ER doctor.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/new-york-city-coronavirus-healthcare-workers-trump-easter-183638991.html

Dear Mr. President,

I am an emergency medicine resident physician in one of the biggest hospital systems in New York City, the epicenter of the COVID-19 pandemic in the United States. In the past several weeks, I have taken care of countless patients with COVID-19 ― some who didn’t seem so sick and some blue in the face and gasping for air 70 times a minute. I have put my face inches from theirs and inserted breathing tubes into their trachea, putting myself and everyone else in the room at exponentially higher risk of contracting this disease. 

As I’ve sat in a room full of coughing patients for 60 hours a week, I have worried about my own safety now and in the coming months as this pandemic gets worse and our completely inadequate supply of personal protective equipment rapidly disappears. There is a major shortage of face masks, along with other supplies, across the country and without them, it can be next to impossible to keep health care workers safe and working to support the increasing number of patients who are arriving at our hospital and clinic doors.

I have sent some not-so-sick patients home and I have seen some patients die right in front of my eyes. I have spoken on the phone to the sobbing mother of a young man admitted to the intensive care unit, and told her, “No, you are not allowed to enter the hospital to see your critically ill son because we are not letting family members into the hospital during this pandemic.” To say that I have experienced countless heartbreaking moments over the past several weeks would be an understatement.

In the next couple of days or weeks, we will run out of hospital beds and ventilators. The number of critically ill COVID-19 patients who come to my hospital seems to double every day. If things continue this way, I will soon be forced to make decisions about who deserves a shot at life and who I will allow to die, and that is an unthinkable thing to have to consider, much less do. 

Tell me ― when there is only one ventilator available, should it go to the young nurse or the elderly woman with multiple comorbidities who has an advanced directive that says “do not intubate/do not resuscitate”? How about the single mother of three? Or the deeply respected emergency medicine attending doctor I worked with last week? How about the middle-aged man with some medical comorbidities and corny jokes who reminds me of my father ― or is my father? Or maybe the person in prison for rape? How about the person of color in jail for marijuana possession? How about a beloved and wealthy celebrity? How about the homeless person with alcohol use disorder who spits on my fellow medical professionals and me when we try to help? How about the homeless person who lives on my street corner and smiles at me every day and says “God bless you”? It’s not so easy choose, is it? 

If things continue this way, I will soon be forced to make decisions about who deserves a shot at life and who I will allow to die and that is an unthinkable thing to have to consider, much less do.

This past week, between 12-hour shifts working in the emergency department and the newly created COVID respiratory unit, I have done everything I can think of to stop that nightmare scenario from arriving. I have posted on social media begging my friends and family to stay home. I have signed countless petitions and contacted my local government pleading for more personal protective equipment and ventilators. If I learn of other things I can do, I will do those, too.

My governor, Andrew Cuomo, has tirelessly worked to obtain more personal protective equipment and ventilators. He has begged you to nationalize the effort to acquire medical supplies and you have denied him. He’s begged for citizens to stay home and, while some are listening, many are not and if they don’t, it will be disastrous. But there’s only so much the governor ― or any of us ― can do alone. At this point, there may be only so much we can do together. But we must try. 

On Tuesday you told Fox News you would “ love to have the country opened up and raring to go by Easter.” You said you chose Easter because, “you will have packed churches all over our country, I think it would be a beautiful time and it is just about the timeline that I think is right.” The thought of this makes me nauseous. If we do that, exponentially more people will get this disease, our hospital system will not have the capacity to handle it, and health care professionals like me will have to let countless people die while continuing to put our own lives ― and possibly the lives of the people we love ― at risk.  

When we run out of ventilators ― and we will if we lift the social distancing restrictions that are in place and this pandemic continues to spread as it already has ― I will not be ready to make these decisions about who deserves to live and who deserves to die. When those moments come, I do not know how I will be able to sleep at night. Will you? Now is not the time to let our guards down.

You have the power to be remembered as someone who did the right thing. I beg you to help me and other health care workers save countless lives ― possibly including our own ― so that we as a nation don’t have to suffer the unthinkable devastation looming on the horizon. I beg you to take this pandemic more seriously and I am begging you to do it now.

Sincerely, 

Rachel Sobolev, MD

• Like 2

4 hours ago, seven said:

Fastest spreading city in the world right now: New York

It's just a clusterfuck in the US especially NY. We started testing weeks if not a month or more too late. Hospitals still can't get simple supplies like face masks and other PPE. Although Governor Cuomo finally managed to get enough for NY for a few weeks. Many places are only testing people they think are sick because of lack of tests. Widespread testing is still mostly non existent. Certainly nothing like the touted South Korea method. So much for this super power.

One county in my state has a shelter in place order and working with a private company plans to test very person in that county. That should give an interesting snapshot of one county. The places hit in my state beside (now) the population areas are the counties with ski areas. I think they got it first. 

If I check the weather on my usual internet website before the weather they show the number of confirmed cases in my county. It is approaching 50 with no deaths reported. Good to hear there are no deaths as the first two cases in the county were in a seniors nursing home.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, xyzzy said:

It's just a clusterfuck in the US especially NY. We started testing weeks if not a month or more too late. Hospitals still can't get simple supplies like face masks and other PPE. Although Governor Cuomo finally managed to get enough for NY for a few weeks. Many places are only testing people they think are sick because of lack of tests. Widespread testing is still mostly non existent. Certainly nothing like the touted South Korea method. So much for this super power.

One county in my state has a shelter in place order and working with a private company plans to test very person in that county. That should give an interesting snapshot of one county. The places hit in my state beside (now) the population areas are the counties with ski areas. I think they got it first. 

If I check the weather on my usual internet website before the weather they show the number of confirmed cases in my county. It is approaching 50 with no deaths reported. Good to hear there are no deaths as the first two cases in the county were in a seniors nursing home.  

My fav ladyboy misses "mama noodles". But I've told her no because the shop is in the zone that's worst hit in NYC. I'm seeing pictures on websites saying Elmhurst hospital overwhelmed.. people waiting outside in long queues for treatment and the shop selling her mama noodles is just a block away.

I think she'll have to do with rice, omelette and som tam for a while. :(

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Quietguy said:

I did, and I was actually moved to tears by the show of support along my road.

My upstairs neighbour is a junior hospital doctor. 

Good on you mate, most of us here in the UK do appreciate the NHS, are very thankful for it and to those people who work for it, we are very very lucky indeed to have them imho :hi:

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, duke007 said:

Good on you mate, most of us here in the UK do appreciate the NHS, are very thankful for it and those who work for it, we are very very lucky indeed to have them imho :hi:

Americans would be quite fortunate to have a system similar the NHS.   With very few exceptions (Bernie, AOC, Pocahontas) politicians tell us that in the richest country in the history of our planet that Medicare For All would just be too expensive.    

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ashoka said:

I'm seeing pictures on websites saying Elmhurst hospital overwhelmed.

Elmhurst Hospital had 13 COVID-19 deaths yesterday. It was reported some passed away without ever being admitted because of lack of beds. I saw a report on TV that some guy with virus systems had been to the that hospital three days in a row, waited many hours each day, and still hasn't been able to get a test.

21 hours ago, xyzzy said:

. So I felt the need to point that out and not just let it go by as fact.

I will stop now as there is no point in continuing. You made your point and I made mine. 

Hey , better go to specsavers , i never even claimed this was a fact. These are guys are from Oxford Uni and probably left wing loonies and not Trump supporters

You keep posting this crap and i will respond ad infinitum

Fuck, UK and USA spreading like crazy now. USA now passed China if you want to believe their numbers. 

The number of novel coronavirus patients in Wuhan, the epicenter of China's virus outbreak, was manipulated in time for President Xi Jinping's visit last week, a local doctor told Kyodo News Thursday.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2020/03/b09b868ec468-breaking-news-wuhan-doctor-blows-whistle-on-manipulation-of-virus-patient-numbers.html

We've had that clapping for awhile now at 8 o'clock. I didn't know what it was at first but thought it was a crazy person on the balcony. Today was the first day here the numbers actually went down. 

• Like 2