Coronavirus

seven

19 minutes ago, seven said:

Closing the schools would take away so many workers in healthcare who then have to be home with their kids since school  closed.

No not necessarily. In UK (and France I believe) healthcare workers and other 'key workers' can still send their kids to the schools where remaining teachers take care of them.

22 minutes ago, seven said:

Closing a society is completely wrong. It won't stop the virus.

It won't stop the virus but it will slow it's spread. If it spreads as quickly as present, doubling every couple of days, it will overwhelm any health service.

A total lockdown seems to have worked in Wuhan.

• Like 2

I think we need to wait a few weeks for some clarity on Wuhan.. Its early days yet and it could bounce back badly . No one has had  a vaccine yet and as it was total lockdown so how immune are all these people really . Heres hoping for the best...

• Like 2

some reports are coming out that suggest that 50% of the UK population may already have had this disease....it could be in Wuhan that many more have had it and that maybe it will burn itself out.. so many theories its all confusing . The new test coming on stream will show if you have  had Covid and not if you have it it now , a big difference

In think the Mardi Gras still went ahead , a Covid 19 party in all but name

6 minutes ago, Tomcat said:

some reports are coming out that suggest that 50% of the UK population may already have had this disease....it could be in Wuhan that many more have had it and that maybe it will burn itself out.. so many theories its all confusing . The new test coming on stream will show if you have  had Covid and not if you have it it now , a big difference

Yes there are some antibody tests that can tell if one already had the virus and recovered. Although considering they don't have enough regular COVID-19 tests that will probably be a way off for most. I heard something about that test that shows if you have COVID-19 or if you already had it. But not much lately. Who knows maybe by summer/fall they will have do-it-yourself home tests?  

It is actually a possibility to take the blood from those that have recovered and have antibodies, refine the blood and make something that will help the very sick. But it's so labor/machine intensive it doesn't seem much of a reasonable option. It got a little media play a week or two ago as being successful but not much since. So maybe the idea is no longer in favor or just too hard.

I'm not a doctor but I play one on the LB sites. I would think that if 50% of the UK population had the virus at some point the ICU/critical services would have been overrun long ago. At the very least they would have seen a steady stream of patients letting them know the virus was already on the loose. But since I'm not a doctor...   

3 hours ago, alaskanbear said:

Well china lifts the lock down do we take it at face value ?? OR and I hope I am wrong all the people that had the covid19 are at the bottom of a hole some place. Again I hope I am wrong about this horror movie. Alaska just hit 36 now couple days ago it was 12.

There's 2 ways to think about that.

When they say they locked down.. you can think they seriously locked everything down.. unlike here on the streets where everyone is still outside, blasting music like its a party and not caring.

The second thing is they were locked down over 50 days. That's 3.5 cycles of the virus running its course and hopefully no one spreading it to someone else other than the people they were locked down with.

BTW ever wonder why Trump won't use the defense production act and he wants to end this quarantine. This is exactly what conservatives have always wanted..

1. They get rich making states bid against each other for medical supplies.

2. Social security spending goes down as they think hopefully a lot of older peeps will die

3.  Those that live will be so in debt with medical bills.. they can use their newly placed judges to seize their wealth and property  in the name of debt collection.

Woohoo conservatives!

10 minutes ago, Ashoka said:

here's 2 ways to think about that.

When they say they locked down.. you can think they seriously locked everything down.. unlike here on the streets where everyone is still outside, blasting music like its a party and not caring.

The second thing is they were locked down over 50 days. That's 3.5 cycles of the virus running its course and hopefully no one spreading it to someone else other than the people they were locked down with.

Thanks Ashoka for the NYC update. Am curious what's going on in my old hometown. 

1 hour ago, Pdoggg said:

Thanks Ashoka for the NYC update. Am curious what's going on in my old hometown. 

Young people think they're immune.

Even some middle age people are like look at that retard who's got a mask and scarf to avoid coronavirus while getting food. Some people are so easily brainwashed by the main stream media.

The police sometimes do drivebys with loudspeakers blasting.. this is a health emergency.. go home, go indoors, but 20 mins later, they're back out on the streets partying.

Edit: LOL https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/24/health/kentucky-coronavirus-party-infection/index.html

A graph from the Financial Times indicates places where a lockdown was implemented early have seen a lower rate of increase in Covid-19. Of course that might change I suppose.

The US has one of the highest rates of increase, and the World Health Organisation says the US has the potential to become the epicentre of the virus.

Screenshot 2020-03-25 at 07.39.45 - Edited.png

Swedish PM warned over 'Russian roulette-style' Covid-19 strategy

Health experts ‘deeply concerned’ about Sweden’s response

Criticism is mounting in Sweden of the government’s approach to Covid-19, with academics warning that its strategy of building broad immunity while protecting at-risk groups – similar to that initially adopted by the UK – amounted to “Russian roulette” and could end in disaster.

The prime minister, Stefan Löfven, on Sunday night called on all Swedes to accept individual responsibility in stopping the rapid spread of the virus as the number of patients in intensive care in Stockholm continued to rise sharply.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/23/swedish-pm-warned-russian-roulette-covid-19-strategy-herd-immunity

• Like 2

19 hours ago, xyzzy said:

long ago. At the very least they would have seen a steady stream of patients letting them know the virus was already on the loose. But since I'm not a doctor...   

Some Scientists have put the lower estimate at 45,000,000 in UK but of course its still a theory among others but  its getting more credence every day. In Wuhan there is speculation that 80% may have in fact have had it and so herd immunity was reached.

It could be possible that for most there are in fact no symptoms... we will soon find out when the new tests are on stream which check if one had had it

Once they have this data in one supposes that will let them decide when to break the lockdown. I have a feeling that its will be sooner than we think

The Wheels of Industry must turn :blink: