Coronavirus

seven

17 hours ago, globetrotter1 said:

I saw that at one of the Siam malls (Paragon I think) they had a security guard standing at the entrance checking everyones body temperature  who entered with an infrared thermomter

They have been doing this for a while now.  I was in BKK just over a week ago and they had been doing it the week before that....

14 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

Here In Pattaya it's pretty easy to buy gloves at most 7/11s.

Thats good news... dont leave home without them.... my China office sent 200 masks on DHL to London and they have gone astray as they were supposed to be delivered Thursday ... hmmmm , what a surprise .  Im not sure if they work anyway.. we will see if they turn up tomorrow

• Like 1

It's getting more serious here in uk. We are supposed to be about 2 weeks behind Italy. Letters and emails are being sent out to over 70s and people with underlying chronic illnesses, 1.5 million people. telling them to stay indoors for the next 12 weeks and they will be sent food parcels.

I've just ordered face mask. I know most of them are pretty useful in protecting the wearer, but might help to stop wearer spreading the virus.

I've ordered a 3M mask which is the one doctors are wearing in hospitals where they can get them. I'll probably order some latex gloves too.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2020 at 3:02 AM, Tomcat said:

Wear cheapo sandwich shop gloves is what ill be doing

Googling around these sandwich shop gloves are polyethylene. These are the cheapest and cheap enough to throwaway after one use.  They are the easiest to tear but it's not like it matters too much if they tear as you are not dealing with a chemical that is going to burn your skin off.  Latex is supposed to be more comfortable but costs more.  

There are reports that there was some panic buying today in Bangkok.  Perhaps what is helping Pattaya stores stay stocked is that most falangs are going home.  For me, Thailand is home but not for the guys who come 3-6 months every winter.  Was just at a 7/11 and the shelves are full.  

Not really sure the exact difference between polythene and polyethylene but the gloves in the store will be ployethylene.

They are selling them in London for $600 in Harley St.clinic. cost a few bucks ..   maybe im in the wrong business... i know where they are made

I could not see on Amazon or Ebay ...i think in China the public should be able to buy the thumb prick ones easy but im not sure, 

1 hour ago, Pdoggg said:

Googling around these sandwich shop gloves are polyethylene. These are the cheapest and cheap enough to throwaway after one use.  They are the easiest to tear but it's not like it matters too much if they tear as you are not dealing with a chemical that is going to burn your skin off.  Latex is supposed to be more comfortable but costs more.  

There are reports that there was some panic buying today in Bangkok.  Perhaps what is helping Pattaya stores stay stocked is that most falangs are going home.  For me, Thailand is home but not for the guys who come 3-6 months every winter.  Was just at a 7/11 and the shelves are full.  

Not really sure the exact difference between polythene and polyethylene but the gloves in the store will be ployethylene.

And don't forget to clean properly your phone...if you go out with it

Its incredible how this two week shutdown affects so many different people's lives .

The workers from the bars/ massage shops then it goes down the line , the bottle shop and delivery guys , the ice delivery,  people selling dresses, bags and shoes to the girls , the rooms the girls rented now empty,  the landlords aren't getting money to pay the mortgage and so on and so on. 

Ofcourse there are a few bars that aren't affected by this and that's the boys in brown owned establishments. 

I do hope it doesn't get extended like bkk , I was told today immigration at Jomtien was standing room only as many tourists have to extend the holiday Visa.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stoolpusher said:

Its incredible how this two week shutdown affects so many different people's lives .

The workers from the bars/ massage shops then it goes down the line , the bottle shop and delivery guys , the ice delivery,  people selling dresses, bags and shoes to the girls , the rooms the girls rented now empty,  the landlords aren't getting money to pay the mortgage and so on and so on. 

Ofcourse there are a few bars that aren't affected by this and that's the boys in brown owned establishments. 

I do hope it doesn't get extended like bkk , I was told today immigration at Jomtien was standing room only as many tourists have to extend the holiday Visa.

"And those who return home or leave the area will be arrested and imprisoned for 14 days because of violating and telling the infection to spread again.".....

I have this message regarding Pattaya...is it true?...can anybody confirm?

4 minutes ago, Quietguy said:

He's looking rough there! 

:biggrin: This guy is serious. 

We had our prime minister do the same last night. I guess the only difference is that ours is sane, wants the best for our citizens,  and I trust him.

Still a tad vague what qualifies as essential, in terms of work?

I supply packaging for the pharma and food industries therefore would class this as essential, as these items can't be sold without appropriate packaging, however is it still classed as essential. I would have said yes, but no clarity. What about plumbers, electrician and boiler repair engineers, are these essential. If your boiler breaks down and no heat for the house, then also yes, but no clarity.

And then on the more trial things, will supermarkets still be selling things like alcohol and cigarettes? I can get by without, especially the beer as don't really drink that much, but others, especially as bars are closed, may believe that having a beer or glass of wine at the weekend is an essential part of life. Especially our NHS workers, who will most certainly deserve a wind down glass of wine a tough shift. Again no real clarity on this. As for review in 3 weeks - my arse, this will be 3 months minimum.

On another note, I think I read somewhere the Mr.Trump is already considering returning to normal after 15 days, as one of his advisory "experts" reckons that the overall cost would be more damaging than the death toll if current measures prevailed. Can any of our American friends confirm this, or is it just whispers.

22 minutes ago, ciobha said:

On another note, I think I read somewhere the Mr.Trump is already considering returning to normal after 15 days, as one of his advisory "experts" reckons that the overall cost would be more damaging than the death toll if current measures prevailed. Can any of our American friends confirm this, or is it just whispers.

The Donald just had a press conference. He was talking about the future when things reopen. He said it would be sooner than a lot think but gave no date. But he says lots of stupid untrue things at these press conferences. 

He was again touting the malaria drug hydroxychloroquine along with azithromycin (generic Zithromax) taken at the same time as a possible help for the very sick. Doctor Fauci was not at the press conference. He usually steps in later and gives a more realistic view of whatever drug Doctor Trump says is going to be the next great thing. But Fauci was recently quoted  in an article saying in regard to Trump "I can't jump in front of the microphone and push him down." Reportedly Trump is growing a bit tired of Fauci. So we unfortunately maybe losing that voice of reason.

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-reportedly-getting-frustrated-dr-142831198.html

• Like 1

Yeah that pretty much sums up what I read. The truth is that if Trump does go ahead and reopen everything or most things well ahead of when it is safe to do so, other countries, including the UK will probably follow for fear of falling further behind in terms of their economy. Much as this lockdown/restrictions are pain in the ass, I am willing to go along for as long as it takes to make sure as many people as is possible can survive. There are going to be deaths, absolutely no doubt, but if they can be limited then that is good. Sadly some governments will view the old and sick as collateral damage and get back to business.

• Like 1