Coronavirus

seven

3 hours ago, Annat said:

May be one day we can have a beer in a bar with lots of beautiful girly/boys around - well even us old ones can dream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Something that was so easy to do up to a few weeks ago now seems to be a distant dream for more than a few in the current climate.  But some day no doubt we can all meet up again in happier circumstances in the land that keeps drawing us back.

" You touch it , you just bought it "

Expect this message to come on stream in the next week.  If non essential shops dont get their act together with people handling goods and putting them back on the shelf

Even Supermarkets will put up these messages soon

Wear cheapo sandwich shop gloves is what ill be doing , i dont want to buy a pint of milk or a hammer and end up in the morgue...... i see clothes shops are closing already

• Like 2

Even public transport hand rails and so on are potential death traps....i suppose all the gloves will be sold by next week... panic buying

i see one woman in China  video on a train with a stick with a sucker on the end stuck to the train ceiling and she is holding on to it rather than the hand rail

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tomcat said:

Even public transport hand rails and so on are potential death traps....i suppose all the gloves will be sold by next week... panic buying

i see one woman in China  video on a train with a stick with a sucker on the end stuck to the train ceiling and she is holding on to it rather than the hand rail

That's only if you don't resist the urge to touch your face, mouth, etc., until after you wash your hands.

Your other point of if you touch it you bought it in grocery stores and other shops is much more pertinent.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tomcat said:

If you can find some buy hand sanitiser and carry it with you, applying regularly.

• Like 1

Had a thought this morning. I wonder if somebody I know gets the virus.

Just been chatting to a friend in Scotland. His son who works in France has had it for 2 weeks. Said his son who is in 20's goes skiing with his GF. When they meet people they know, there is a hugathon. All holding each other tightly. Seems to be the thing you do. Well it may be the cause of the infection. Dont think they will be doing that again for a while.

He has been lucky. Getting over it well. Only symptoms were a funny feeling in the nose, a slight headache, and no taste. There seems to be a variety of symptoms being reported though.

• Like 2

a pack of 16 medical quality latex gloves is around $2 here ...i wont go near a train or taxi without these now.. probably better than a mask. 

like RX said ...dont touch your face guys... its hard not to , perhaps thats why a mask is a good idea

To renew my weekly train ticket you have to touch the screen 16 times... ??   Also some new hand driers made by DYSON blow the air upwards....???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomcat said:

a pack of 16 medical quality latex gloves is around $2 here ...i wont go near a train or taxi without these now.. probably better than a mask. 

like RX said ...dont touch your face guys... its hard not to , perhaps thats why a mask is a good idea

To renew my weekly train ticket you have to touch the screen 16 times... ??   Also some new hand driers made by DYSON blow the air upwards....???

No need to get the medical quality latex gloves - any gloves will do as long as there is no break in it and they are the right size. If you want to wear a mask to avoid touching your face that is a good idea, as even the inexpensive dust masks will remind you - just remember they are not small enough to filter out the virus if someone coughs or sneezes near you.

Avoid touching your face is a difficult thing to do - but during this time it is a good habit to try and break. Also remember if you are wearing gloves and touch your face, that is still a risk of contracting the virus.

• Like 1

To Protect the Future, Hold China to Account

In the winter of 2002–2003, the deadly SARS coronavirus exploded out of China’s ‘wet-blood’ wildlife markets. SARS infected over 8,000 people worldwide and killed almost 800. Yet post-crisis, China laxly enforced bans on the offending markets, only to permit them to flourish soon thereafter. Today’s COVID-19 is the deadly and avoidable legacy of China’s recklessness.

Sadly, after COVID-19 began to spread, China exacerbated its wrongful conduct: first covering it up; then hindering others’ abilities to understand, halt, and mitigate the disease; and finally blaming its victims.

In a recent interview, National Security adviser Robert O’Brien suggested that China’s cover-up of the coronavirus outbreak delayed the global response by two months. Chinese authorities, he noted, actively suppressed doctors’ warnings.

COVID-19 stems from just such Chinese ‘wet-blood’ markets. While Beijing has praised them as protein sources, their unsanitary practices have long been identified as “perfect viral melting pots” for zoonotic diseases — diseases that jump from animals to man. In COVID-19’s wake, China shut down cities and shuttered the offending Wuhan markets — for now.

To expand her geo-political reach, China’s Belt and Road Initiative throws money at infrastructure projects from South Asia to the North Atlantic and from the South China Sea to Palau. National Bureau of Asian Research currently estimates BRI to cost around $1-1.3 trillion (USD). Over the past decades, China’s defense spending increased on average roughly 10 percent per year, a rate vastly exceeding any competitor. For a pittance of such expenditures, China could have avoided today’s pandemic and helped prevent future ones.

Internally, the CCP has spent millions viciously repressing multi-child families, Internet use, Muslim Uighurs, Hong Kong democrats, and the Dalai Lama’s Tibet, to name a few. Food stalls would be child play.

Once word got out, China then barred health experts from China, where they had hoped to study the disease and its spread.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/protect-future-hold-china-account-205431289.html

Agreed. They've gotten away with their shit way too long now. Close these fuckers down in Bkk too.

• Like 1

Thailand to close malls as coronavirus cases jump

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand announced it will close malls in the capital Bangkok as the country reported its largest daily increase in coronavirus infections on Saturday.

Malls, except for supermarkets, will be closed for 22 days beginning March 22 to April 12 in a bid to curb the outbreak of the coronavirus, Bangkok Governor Aswin Kwanmuang said in a statement.

Boxing stadiums, beauty salons and arcades were also included in the closure announcement.

Those found violating the order face up to one year in prison or a fine of up to 100,000 baht.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/thailand-reports-89-coronavirus-cases-045209605.html

• Like 1

6 hours ago, seven said:

To Protect the Future, Hold China to Account

In the winter of 2002–2003, the deadly SARS coronavirus exploded out of China’s ‘wet-blood’ wildlife markets. SARS infected over 8,000 people worldwide and killed almost 800. Yet post-crisis, China laxly enforced bans on the offending markets, only to permit them to flourish soon thereafter. Today’s COVID-19 is the deadly and avoidable legacy of China’s recklessness.

Sadly, after COVID-19 began to spread, China exacerbated its wrongful conduct: first covering it up; then hindering others’ abilities to understand, halt, and mitigate the disease; and finally blaming its victims.

In a recent interview, National Security adviser Robert O’Brien suggested that China’s cover-up of the coronavirus outbreak delayed the global response by two months. Chinese authorities, he noted, actively suppressed doctors’ warnings.

COVID-19 stems from just such Chinese ‘wet-blood’ markets. While Beijing has praised them as protein sources, their unsanitary practices have long been identified as “perfect viral melting pots” for zoonotic diseases — diseases that jump from animals to man. In COVID-19’s wake, China shut down cities and shuttered the offending Wuhan markets — for now.

To expand her geo-political reach, China’s Belt and Road Initiative throws money at infrastructure projects from South Asia to the North Atlantic and from the South China Sea to Palau. National Bureau of Asian Research currently estimates BRI to cost around $1-1.3 trillion (USD). Over the past decades, China’s defense spending increased on average roughly 10 percent per year, a rate vastly exceeding any competitor. For a pittance of such expenditures, China could have avoided today’s pandemic and helped prevent future ones.

Internally, the CCP has spent millions viciously repressing multi-child families, Internet use, Muslim Uighurs, Hong Kong democrats, and the Dalai Lama’s Tibet, to name a few. Food stalls would be child play.

Once word got out, China then barred health experts from China, where they had hoped to study the disease and its spread.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/protect-future-hold-china-account-205431289.html

Agreed. They've gotten away with their shit way too long now. Close these fuckers down in Bkk too.

I have to disagree with the article and the statement. This article is inaccurate and will make the next pandemic  worse. The statement that China does not cooperate with World Health authorities is wrong. China shared the genetic code results of the virus in the early days, so vaccine development started and in fact there have been human volunteers who have received it for testing already. That could not have happened this quickly without cooperation from China.

China has sent medical assistance to Italy to advise them how to deal with the surge of seriously ill patients they have, which is close to overwhelming their ICU capacity. They have sent N95 masks to France (who sent them supplies during the peak of the crisis in Japan).

Blaming a country for a pandemic will only reduce cooperation in the future. While you may think it is unlikely it isn't just countries like China where pandemics may originate. The next one could originate in North America, South America, Europe - cooperation is the only way to successfully combat pandemics.

This does not excuse China for its past and future actions of authoritarianism, but isolating it or trying to punish it would be a terrible mistake.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, rxpharm said:

I have to disagree with the article and the statement.

cooperation is the only way to successfully combat pandemics.

OK. And the wet markets? We don't have many of those here, you know.

Do you agree that covin-19 stems from animals transmitted to humans?

I'm friends with some hardcore animal rights activists and trust me, China does not have the best of reputations when it comes to this.

I can show you tons of undercover videos from these wet markets shot in China but I'll spare you.

I agree we have to co-operate to fight this, but surely you know how China covered up this mess in the beginning and the treatment of the whistleblowers/doctors/staff.  

• Like 1

Your the man rxpharm .

Is there anything on the market that comes close to treating the sick or is it just time and and in the lap of the gods ?.

I must say I got the 3rd degree yesterday here in Pattaya when I went to the pharmacy to restock my asthma meds ( puffers ) , no problem she was just doing her job and making sure I had the correct dose. 

Seven - I am not saying China did not make mistakes - and after this time it seems that China is finally getting strict with their wet markets. In a country that has such a big population protein was scarce, people use to eat anything to get the nutrition they needed.

Pretty hard habit to break after thousands of years. Also they did lose a significant amount of their pork production due to African Swine fever that wiped out almost 25% of their capacity recently 

stoolpusher - they are testing some anti-malarial drugs and other anti-virals to determine if there is an effective drug or combination, but this all takes time. I think they will come up with something but it will take several months before they know the results of the trials.

On 3/21/2020 at 3:30 AM, Tomcat said:

i suppose all the gloves will be sold by next week... panic buying

Here In Pattaya it's pretty easy to buy gloves at most 7/11s.

You can also order from Lazada, an Amazon type business that is quite popular in Thailand.  What's nice is if you want you can pay COD (cash on delivery).  There are other payment options as well.  They also make it easy for you to sign up.

Yesterday I ordered 500 (not sure pairs or pieces) but the vendor was in China so the delivery date is in April.

Today I ordered 300 pieces (150 pairs) from Thailand which should arrive in a few days.

The one's in the 7/11 are cheap enough but the online ones are so really cheap.

For my purposes, one use and throwaway, I doubt quality matters much.

If for some reason they are not delivered, since it is COD, I don't have to worry about refunds. I'll post a link but not really sure if my link will bring you to the product.

• Like 1

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2020/health/coronavirus-questions-answers/

How long does coronavirus stay “alive” on surfaces?

Up to three days, depending on the surface. According to a study funded by the US National Institutes of Health:

• The new coronavirus is viable up to 72 hours after being placed on stainless steel and plastic.
  • It was viable up to four hours after being placed on copper, and up to 24 hours after being put on cardboard.
  • In aerosols, it remained viable for three hours.