Coronavirus

seven

India Could be Next Virus Hotspot With an ‘Avalanche’ of Cases

India could become the next global hotspot for virus cases, with experts warning containment measures that proved successful elsewhere in Asia may not work in the world’s second-most populous country.

Apart from its sheer size, India’s other challenge is the density of its population: 420 people live on each square kilometer (about 0.4 of a square mile), compared with 148 per square kilometer in China. Its cities are crammed with slums and low-income housing clusters where the living conditions are tight.

While South Korea was able to test even asymptomatic people, India’s population “makes it extremely difficult,” said Dr. K. Srinath Reddy, adjunct professor of epidemiology at the T.H. Chan School of Public Health at Harvard University and president of the New Delhi-based health think-tank Public Health Foundation of India.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/india-could-next-virus-hotspot-064016084.html

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Quietguy said:

UK PM and Education Minister have just announced closures of schools in England from Friday until further notice , following decisions by Scottish, Welsh and Northern Ireland regional governments to close schools earlier today.

It seems until September in Scotland but i would think that most will follow this route

Some facts: Average age of casualties in Italy. Men 79,5 years women 83,7 years. 48,5% of them had underlying diseases.

Angelo Borrelli is an Italian government official, who is serving as Head of the Civil Protection. 

He's on television live every night at 6 pm reporting.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rxpharm said:

An interesting Canadian Broadcasting Corporation story about the Russian COVID-19 situation.

Very. Of course the numbers coming from here are wrong.

Officially, Russia has just 114 confirmed coronavirus cases and no confirmed deaths.  

It's a remarkably small number for a country of 149 million people that shares land borders with 14 other countries, including a 4,200-kilometre boundary with China, where the coronavirus outbreak started.  

• Like 1

Here in Australia they have now set a limit for non essential indoor gatherings to 100 people which will affect larger restaurants, pubs and clubs.

Until 6 months ago my local pub was owned by a family group who have 6 or 7 pubs but has now been taken over by a large organisation that have 80 venues. The licensee has been retained and I asked him yesterday what will happen as the bar never has more than about 50 patrons at any one time. He said that he was awaiting a call from head office but likely the pub will close before Friday. Their reasoning that they are unable to keep patrons more than 1.5 metres away from each other especially in the restaurant with a family group and in the poker machine room where the machines are mostly lined up next to each other.

I advised him that they are mad to close the whole venue as they will lose 100% revenue and likely still have to pay full time staff for a while. My suggestion to him was to close the restaurant, move tables in the bar area and keep suggesting to patrons to remain at a distance from each other. In the poker machine room (aka engine room as it is the main income generator and gives the pub its $34 million value) just shut down every 2nd machine.

He did take my advice re poker machines and advised head office of 'his' plans so I will find out around 4pm after I walk to the pub to find out if its still open.

I am predicting the next shortage in Australia is going to be packaged beer!!!

• Like 1

all bars in Jomtien and [i assume pattaya] are now closed..  closed at 8 pm 18th. there are some, mainly restaurants that have the long bar bench fitting on the street still open, i guess because they can legally be called restaurants. One at the corner of soi whitehouse.

also i spoke with my ex-wife yesterday, who is head of microbiology in a famous London children's hospital, i asked her if she is wearing a mask.. 'No... total waste of time other than perhaps as a placebo' was her reply.' 

• Like 1

I'm in the health care field, and I haven't dealt with it personally yet. Hopefully don't.

But my neighbor is a ER nurse at a hospital.

I asked her what's the info they were given as health care workers. She replied..

It's highly contagious - Not Ebola airborne contagious but just a level below.

It spreads by a person coughing and the droplets containing the virus stay contagious for 3 days.

Most often it is spreading by touching something a lot of people use, like subway cars grab handles, bus doors, grab handlebars and then when people touch their face or mouth and it finds its way into the respiratory system.

First indicator is a dry cough.

She's seeing people with pre-existing conditions and the elderly come down it a lot. They young not so much.

• Like 1

The last two days I have been seeing all these lost souls wondering aimlessly in our soi looking for something to do other than sitting in a bar all day drinking,  surely they can  think of something to  pass the time . One guy stopped by the shop last night and complained how thirsty he was , he needed beer. That was the first night how will he last 14 days .....I think he has a drinking problem. :drinks:

well the safest place is not safe no more . some bush pilot flew in to Anchorage and was scand to have covid 19. then some ass hole in the south AK went to see friends in Oregon came back infected in a plane but was early no scans felt fine a week later he was checked and he has covid 19 so far 6 in AK .  this is will get real bad up here as underlying health problems up here is normal. 

• Like 3

Had a bit of a walkabout today, as I wanted to do some banking.  I took a big chunk of cash out of the bank to put in my safe to cover a few months expenses.   If CV were to spin out of control here could be a run on the banks. Likely? Not at all. But not completely impossible.

Restaurants are open so bars that double as restaurants remain open in Pattaya.

Up in Bangkok

Deputy Bangkok governor Pol Lt Gen Sophon Phuttipong said that eateries in metropolitan Bangkok were permitted to remain open over the next two weeks unless they sold alcohol, put on music and dance performances or karaoke.

It seems that inter-provincial movement is being discouraged.   I'm not exactly sure what the bus situation is.

Cambodia’s embassy in Thailand has advised all Cambodian citizens who are here now to remain here for the duration of the Covid-19 crisis to safeguard their homeland.

The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand now requires all air passengers, Thai and foreign, to show Covid-19-free health certificates and Covid-19 insurance before boarding their flights to Thailand.

When passengers check in, airlines must check whether they had visited Covid-19 epidemic areas in the previous 14 days.

Airlines must require passengers to present health certificates issued no more than 72 hours before the  flight departs. The certificates must guarantee that the passengers do not have Covid-19.

Airlines must also require that passengers have insurance covering Covid-19 treatment in Thailand, up to at least US$100,000.

Passengers who fail to present the required documents must not be allowed to board their flight to Thailand.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pdoggg said:

Had a bit of a walkabout today, as I wanted to do some banking.  I took a big chunk of cash out of the bank to put in my safe to cover a few months expenses.   If CV were to spin out of control here could be a run on the banks. Likely? Not at all. But not completely impossible.

Restaurants are open so bars that double as restaurants remain open in Pattaya.

Up in Bangkok

It seems that inter-provincial movement is being discouraged.   I'm not exactly sure what the bus situation is.

Smart move as thailand is a cash based society. In the states you can get by with credit cards, mobile banking but not in Thailand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ashoka said:

Smart move as thailand is a cash based society.

I haven't seen  cash in a month since I arrived home from Los, expect my baht I didn't spend.

I remember I noticed a bad smell in my safe and wallet  and tried to locate it, sure enough it was the baht bills and they weren't even that worn and old. Handling mototaxidrivers dirty 20 baht notes or the 10 baht songtaew coins is something I can do without now. 

All payments are via the phone or cardblip, no need to punch in a pincode anymore where 1000s of people a day did just that before the new credit card technology. So the digital, cashfree  age isn't all bad, is it.

I have a very dear friend in Thailand whos very anti digital payments, but I do hope hes not physically counting his baht bills very day.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, seven said:

I haven't seen  cash in a month since I arrived home from Los, expect my baht I didn't spend.

I remember I noticed a bad smell in my safe and wallet  and tried to locate it, sure enough it was the baht bills and they weren't even that worn and old. Handling mototaxidrivers dirty 20 baht notes or the 10 baht songtaew coins is something I can do without now. 

All payments are via the phone or cardblip, no need to punch in a pincode anymore where 1000s of people a day did just that before the new credit card technology. So the digital, cashfree  age isn't all bad, is it.

I have a very dear friend in Thailand whos very anti digital payments, but I do hope hes not physically counting his baht bills very day.

Not at all. I just wish more vendors here in NYC were ok with mobile payments and not just credit cards.

BTW I got a strange charge from a gum.co/cc recently and immediately disputed that. Not sure who they are, why they charged me.

• Like 1