Coronavirus

seven

2 hours ago, BigTel said:

Scary stuff sure, but I did some more reading and its not necessarily deadly for most people.  Its a tough one for the already ill, weak and elderly sure, but a reasonable healthy person should be able to fight it with adequate care, I like to think.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2020 at 12:46 AM, ArchieBunker said:

I would take it.  The worst thing that will happen is they cancel the flight, hopefully with some advance notice.....Seriously doubt they you will make it to China then you will be forced to stay there.

I agree.  Go for it!  :yahoo:

The worst they can do as Arch says is to cancel the flight.  When you click through to the various offers, you'll see Air China, Kissandfly, Vayama etc.  I wonder if the flight was cancelled would ther ebe less of a hassle getting a refund through Air China or a 3rd party such as Kissnadfly?

I've always been a bit wary of the 3rd party sites thinking if there was some sort of problem with a booking that I'd rather deal directly with an airline.  But maybe with a cancellation refund, the 3rd party would want to protect their reputation and pressure the airline?  What do you guys think?

Talking about Skyscanner guys, if you use Skyscanner we really would appreciate it if you use our links.  If you click through to a Skyscanner deal, we earn a small commission whether or not you actually book a flight.  This helps defray the operating costs of LBR.  

Skyscanner Link

If you are using Agoda or Booking.com we would also appreciate it if you use our links.   Thanks!   :hi:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ArchieBunker said:

PD I thought if you used a credit card you would have protection in case the flight got canceled or the airline went under......

I would think you would have some protection and I'm sure people do.

But let's say you book a round trip ticket.  You get to your destination, in Sustra's case Bangkok.

Then the return flight gets cancelled.  What is the obligation of the airline?  Put you on another flight and if so when?  Refund approx half the price of the ticket and then you buy an expensive one way flight home?  I would think there are many ways it might be handled.

In a different case, I have a friend in Thailand now.  He is going home by way of China in a couple months but staying in China for a week or so just to see the place. He booked his flight using miles/points.   Last I spoke with him he probably wants to skip the China visit.  Unclear at this point if he can cancel the stay in China and get his Mies back.   

6 hours ago, ArchieBunker said:

I am thinking about/supposed to transit via Hong Kong in about three weeks.  Those plans are on hold and I can also go via Tokyo.....

I leave in about five weeks via HKG. I almost switched to a flight via NRT that would leave late this week and just get the hell out. But I was undecided and waited. A few hours later the flight (frequently flier miles) was no longer available. I would guess most of the east Asia airlines are getting cancellations so maybe more FF miles flights will open up. 

Australia has its 6th victim. They’ve sent him home and instructed him to not pass it on.....

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/coronavirus-case-confirmed-in-victoria-bringing-national-total-to-six-c-670864

The guy flew in from Wuhan and us Australia’s 6th coronavirus victim. He had the symptoms of a cold and has now been sent home with instructions not to pass it on to others in the house with him.

seems it’s not serious at all outside China. It’s just a variety of the flu. Like SARS, it’ll burn itself out. 

no locking down the city, airport or other places he’s been in. The restaurant he visited is a buffet style. Patrons are advised to see a doctor is they feel sick. Like him, just stay home. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, seven said:

Scary stuff sure, but I did some more reading and its not necessarily deadly for most people.  Its a tough one for the already ill, weak and elderly sure, but a reasonable healthy person should be able to fight it with adequate care, I like to think.

Your right Seven, here's a more upbeat bit from Professor Mark Harris  :drinks:

Professor Mark Harris, from the University of Leeds, said: 'Its true that the numbers... look scary. 

'One positive spin is that if we are only aware of five per cent of the total cases, the implication is that 95 per cent of cases have only resulted in either mild symptoms such that the infected people did not consider it serious enough to seek medical help, or indeed the virus may be causing an inapparent infection. 

• Like 2

It looks like it is not being taken serious here, you have the bus driver taking the people to quarantine with no protection on.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-7952271/Operation-Wuhan-airlift-LANDS-RAF-Brize-Norton.html

Where are their face masks? 83 Brits step off Wuhan airlift from the heart of the coronavirus outbreak after 12-hour flight - only to be met at RAF Brize Norton by medics and bus drivers with NO protective clothing on

• Like 1

You know, I had a three hour lay-over in Guangzhou on Dec 20th on my way to Vietnam. Had a 13 hour lay-over Jan 6 in Hong Kong on my return trip. 
I got the flu while I was in Vietnam. Was on me arse for three days with a cough and a bad fever. It was one of those where even your hair and teeth hurt. Fever was so high, there was talk of taking me to the hospital but I did not go. Not fun and it put a major damper on my trip. 
Crazy thought, but I’m wondering if I may have contracted this bug and then just got better.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, strocube said:

You know, I had a three hour lay-over in Guangzhou on Dec 20th on my way to Vietnam. Had a 13 hour lay-over Jan 6 in Hong Kong on my return trip. 
I got the flu while I was in Vietnam. Was on me arse for three days with a cough and a bad fever. It was one of those where even your hair and teeth hurt. Fever was so high, there was talk of taking me to the hospital but I did not go. Not fun and it put a major damper on my trip. 
Crazy thought, but I’m wondering if I may have contracted this bug and then just got better.

Who would know, strocube? I remember reading how crook you had been - maybe you're fitter than you thought, and your body fought it off. Whatever, I hope you keep well now.

• Upvote 1

Stop Touching Your Face

By Ed Cara on at

The new decade has brought along a SARS-like, pneumonia-causing coronavirus that’s already sickened at least 9,000 people and killed more than 200 worldwide. If you’re scared about threats like the Wuhan virus, then there’s one very easy thing you can start doing for the sake of your health and others – stop touching your face!

When we rub our faces all willy nilly, we can contaminate our bodies with the potentially dangerous germs picked up from surfaces our hands recently touched. These fomites – another name for infectious surfaces or objects – can carry invisible bits of poo and snot left behind by a person careless about their hand washing.

And while, yes, you’ve probably been told not to touch your face since you’re a kid, it’s apparently wisdom that is often forgotten (including by this author).

A small study in 2015 estimated that people touch their face on average 23 times an hour, with a little less than half of these touches involving the “mucosal” areas of our face, like our mouth, nose and eyes. Another study in 2013 found that people on public transit touch surfaces where germs could be located an average 3.3 times an hour, while also touching their mouths and noses an average of 3.6 times an hour. These parts of our face are incidentally the perfect conduit for countless germs, including the new coronavirus, to enter and infect the body.

Currently, the Wuhan virus isn’t something to fear for people living in most of the world, including the West– but diseases like the flu are definitely here. In what might be considered a mild season in the U.S. this year, the flu virus has already sickened more than 19 million people, hospitalised over 180,000, and killed upwards of 10,000. It’s not just flu, either. Here’s a very short list of other diseases spreadable through face touching that sicken huge numbers of people in the U.S. every single year:

Human nature being what it is, we can hardly expect people to stop touching their faces completely. But there’s plenty of good that can be done if we cut back on the habit and implement other ones, like frequent hand washing (with soap, for at least 20 seconds). A study in 2008 found, for instance, that people who reported rarely touching their faces were around 80 per cent less likely to contract the seasonal flu compared to those with the highest levels of face-touching – odds that only got better if they also washed their hands a lot.

And while a face mask is unlikely to do much on its own for preventing any disease, including the new coronavirus, wearing one might at least remind you to keeps your paws off your mug.

It’s a simple if mundane lesson to be learned, but one that will pay off no matter what happens with the Wuhan virus or any other emerging disease to come around, according to Robert Ambler, a former chief medical officer at the CDC and dean of New York Medical College’s School of Health Sciences and Practice.

“There’s a lot of things about [the new coronavirus] we don’t really know. Meanwhile, things we do know is that people who are sick should not come to work or school; they should stay home. And people generally should wash their hands frequently and avoid touching their faces,” Ambler told Gizmodo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alaskanbear said:

Stop Touching Your Face

By Ed Cara on at

The new decade has brought along a SARS-like, pneumonia-causing coronavirus that’s already sickened at least 9,000 people and killed more than 200 worldwide. If you’re scared about threats like the Wuhan virus, then there’s one very easy thing you can start doing for the sake of your health and others – stop touching your face!

When we rub our faces all willy nilly, we can contaminate our bodies with the potentially dangerous germs picked up from surfaces our hands recently touched. These fomites – another name for infectious surfaces or objects – can carry invisible bits of poo and snot left behind by a person careless about their hand washing.

And while, yes, you’ve probably been told not to touch your face since you’re a kid, it’s apparently wisdom that is often forgotten (including by this author).

A small study in 2015 estimated that people touch their face on average 23 times an hour, with a little less than half of these touches involving the “mucosal” areas of our face, like our mouth, nose and eyes. Another study in 2013 found that people on public transit touch surfaces where germs could be located an average 3.3 times an hour, while also touching their mouths and noses an average of 3.6 times an hour. These parts of our face are incidentally the perfect conduit for countless germs, including the new coronavirus, to enter and infect the body.

Currently, the Wuhan virus isn’t something to fear for people living in most of the world, including the West– but diseases like the flu are definitely here. In what might be considered a mild season in the U.S. this year, the flu virus has already sickened more than 19 million people, hospitalised over 180,000, and killed upwards of 10,000. It’s not just flu, either. Here’s a very short list of other diseases spreadable through face touching that sicken huge numbers of people in the U.S. every single year:

Human nature being what it is, we can hardly expect people to stop touching their faces completely. But there’s plenty of good that can be done if we cut back on the habit and implement other ones, like frequent hand washing (with soap, for at least 20 seconds). A study in 2008 found, for instance, that people who reported rarely touching their faces were around 80 per cent less likely to contract the seasonal flu compared to those with the highest levels of face-touching – odds that only got better if they also washed their hands a lot.

And while a face mask is unlikely to do much on its own for preventing any disease, including the new coronavirus, wearing one might at least remind you to keeps your paws off your mug.

It’s a simple if mundane lesson to be learned, but one that will pay off no matter what happens with the Wuhan virus or any other emerging disease to come around, according to Robert Ambler, a former chief medical officer at the CDC and dean of New York Medical College’s School of Health Sciences and Practice.

“There’s a lot of things about [the new coronavirus] we don’t really know. Meanwhile, things we do know is that people who are sick should not come to work or school; they should stay home. And people generally should wash their hands frequently and avoid touching their faces,” Ambler told Gizmodo.

What about touching a LBs face???.

• Like 1

Its getting worse and probably 80,000 have the virus now IMO. The Factories in China are supposed to re open next week ... well good luck with that.

Its much much worse than being reported .... ,mark my words.  The global economy is in for a very rough ride  . 

• Like 1

Now the doctor who first reported about  it is gone.

WUHAN, China — More than 700 people have died. Tens of thousands are infected. Millions are living under lockdown, and the government has sought to silence complaints.

But what provoked an online revolt in China on Friday, the fiercest assault on the censors in almost a decade, began with the death of one man: the doctor who tried to warn others about the coronavirus.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/07/world/asia/china-coronavirus-doctor-death.html

• Like 2

3 hours ago, seven said:

WUHAN, China — More than 700 people have died. Tens of thousands are infected. Millions are living under lockdown, and the government has sought to silence complaints.

But what provoked an online revolt in China on Friday, the fiercest assault on the censors in almost a decade, began with the death of one man: the doctor who tried to warn others about the coronavirus.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/07/world/asia/china-coronavirus-doctor-death.html

I gave you a "like", seven, because of the link you posted. I feel for the doctor, whose only crime was telling what he'd found (and which came out, despite the censorship).I've become very cynical of late, so what any investigation into his life brings into the open  remains to be seen.  Thanks for posting mate.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, seven said:

4 hours ago, cobber32 said:

I gave you a "like", seven, because of the link you posted. I feel for the doctor, whose only crime was telling what he'd found (and which came out, despite the censorship).I've become very cynical of late, so what any investigation into his life brings into the open  remains to be seen.  Thanks for posting mate.

That sums up China in one ! with the way they tried to silence the Doctor who sadly has passed away, what a great loss the Doctor is as if His information had been acted on instead of suppressed then China and now the rest of us would not be in this situation right now.

4 hours ago, cobber32 said:

I feel for the doctor, whose only crime was telling what he'd found (and which came out, despite the censorship).I've become very cynical of late, so what any investigation into his life brings into the open  remains to be seen.  Thanks for posting mate.

Me too. Hes a hero, but now hes gone. 

2 minutes ago, BigTel said:

That sums up China in one ! with the way they tried to silence the Doctor who sadly has passed away, what a great loss the Doctor is as if His information had been acted on instead of suppressed then China and now the rest of us would not be in this situation right now.

Totally agree, Tel. It's shameful how they handled the early stages of this, not even sure they're doing it better now.

• Like 1