Coronavirus

seven

Coronavirus outbreak: doctor in Wuhan hospital dies as army medics flown in

Liang Wudong, 62, died after treating patients in Wuhan amid signs that health workers are overwhelmed by the outbreak

A doctor treating victims infected with the coronavirus in the Chinese city of Wuhan has died from the virus amid further signs that the local health system has been overwhelmed and that the outbreak is worsening.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/jan/25/coronavirus-outbreak-doctor-in-wuhan-hospital-dies-as-army-medics-flown-in

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cobber32 said:

Thanks for the link, mate. Frightening to think a country would cover up the extent of the situation as described in this article. Let's hope for the best possible outcome.

Your most welcome Cobber  :drinks: Yes it is frightening the cover up and as you say let's hope this can be controlled.

• Like 1

I went to a large pharmacy on Soi Buakhao and the lady behind the counter had a typical size breathing mask on. But it was more than a regular mask as it had some smallish device on the outside of the mask off center a bit. She usually never wears a mask. She confirmed she was worried about the  Coronavirus.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, xyzzy said:

The infected Chinese can still leave for Thailand today.

They can? Thats remarkable. I read they were isolating cities, checking people for symptoms. Amazing they would let infected people travel abroad.

Today several European countries advised against travelling to certain provinces in China. 

and

Public anger grows over coronavirus in Thailand, with eight cases of the illness

https://www.yahoo.com/news/public-anger-grows-over-coronavirus-123829864.html

The health minister in Thailand, the country with the most confirmed cases outside China of the new coronavirus, called an emergency meeting on Sunday with the transport and tourism ministries amid rising public discontent over the government's handling of the illness.

All but one of the eight cases in Thailand were tourists from Wuhan, the central Chinese city that is at the epicenter of the outbreak. One Thai national, who had visited Wuhan over the New Year, contracted the disease.

The government is scanning passengers arriving on flights from Guangzhou across five airports including the main Suvarnabhumi airport, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Don Muang and Krabi.

Major shopping malls in Thai tourist spots have introduced hygiene measures.

Mass transit operators including the Bangkok skytrain and subways are increasing the frequencies of wipedowns and spraying disinfectant in trains, the Transport Ministry said.

11 hours ago, seven said:

They can? Thats remarkable. I read they were isolating cities, checking people for symptoms. Amazing they would let infected people travel abroad.

The link Big Tel posted mentioned that China was stopping all outbound tour groups as of today (Monday). Kind of amazing really they waited that long. I guess in a week or so from today there will be no Chinese tour groups still in Pattaya and those damn big ass buses will be parked. I would guess the Chinese tourists that flew out in recent days were quite happy to go.

I read an interesting article on CNN.com yesterday written by a reporter that also was around for SARS. Unfortunately I can't find it today. It said SARS was often worse in newer well equipped hospitals. Apparently it perhaps had something to do with air conditioning trapping the virus inside the hospitals vs no A/C and having the windows open.

Kissing would seem the perfect vehicle for transmission. Bye bye GFE.

I'm actually considering going home. It would be nice if the Chinese could be depended on to tell the real facts so we knew what the hell is really going on.

• Like 2

A friend of a friend of mine has a friend (55555) who works in the kitchen at the Paragon Suites in Jomtien serving a couple of hundred meals a day to the Chinese visitors. The said friend has been told not to report for work for first 2 weeks in February - all bookings cancelled. 

• Like 3

On 1/27/2020 at 3:04 AM, Quinn said:

A friend of a friend of mine has a friend (55555) who works in the kitchen at the Paragon Suites in Jomtien serving a couple of hundred meals a day to the Chinese visitors. The said friend has been told not to report for work for first 2 weeks in February - all bookings cancelled. 

I have heard pretty much the same thing.  Know someone who works in a hotel where many of these touring Chinese stay.  Hotel occupancy went form 100% to 10% in four days.  Mass cancellations.  This just hit so staff will get paid in full at the end of the month.  Next month who knows?  Layoffs to come probably.  

The Thai economy hasnt been going great anyway.  This will hurt even more.  Dont know why the baht is so high.  The current "government" doesnt help as its totally inept.  You guys think we have problems in the West??  It pales in comparison.......just food for thought.

• Like 1