International Phone Calls

Pdoggg

My inspiration for this thread comes from Petesie's pic in the New Bar thread.

The rather sad Thai lady looks like she just spent 10 baht a minute but her sponsor won't be sending money for her sick buffalo.

overseas.jpg

So how do you make overseas calls from Thailand?   Most of my calls to the USA are to toll free numbers such as 800 and 888 and are free for me on Skype perhaps since I initially opened the account in the States.

I also have Skype Out for the rare times that I must make an international call.

If you use your Thai phone and dial an international number in the normal manner it can get quite expensive but AIS has 003 service which has reasonable rates to some countries.  Rates to the USA just 3 baht a minute.  But rates to Ireland for example aren't very good.  You can check out the rates by clicking this link.

https://www.ais.co.th/003/en/rate.html

It's simple to use. Just dial 003 and then continue with the country code and phone number.

I assume DTAC and True have some sort of similar service.

Of course with friends you can just use Skype to Skype, Line, Whatsapp, Messenger etc.

Anyone have other good ways to call overseas?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sylvester said:

I use Skype and pay a very reasonable yearly fee for a dedicated phone number. I can make and receive calls from anywhere in the world with an Internet connection. I’ve been using it for about four years now and have no complaints. 

Can you receive texts?  My main reason for having this sort of service is to receive verification code texts.

I was looking into Google Voice but I think hey wanted to verify the account by texting an American number and I don't have one. 

3 minutes ago, Pdoggg said:

Can you receive texts?  My main reason for having this sort of service is to receive verification code texts.

I was looking into Google Voice but I think hey wanted to verify the account by texting an American number and I don't have one. 

No, unfortunately. That’s the only drawback.

• Like 1

I've used Magic Jack for MANY years. Can be  glitchy at time, scratchy noise or a bit of an echo, but most times when I ask someone they tell me it sounds like I'm local. They're up to something like $39 now, but the new ones you can plug right into yer internet router and leave there with a wire phone hooked to it.  Mostly I stick  it into the laptop and use the system mic and speaker. Has occurred to me many times this could be a money maker.  If a bargirl had one she might pick up some baht letting girls call "boyfriend" (sponsor) back home for free andn charge them what she thinks is best.  Only hitch to that is someone in the USA would have to set it up, pick a phone number...tho they do assign one at random if you like.  Not sure, but it might be possible to get into their system FROM LOS.