Thai Bank Branches In Cambodia

Pdoggg

Kasikorn has an office or branch in Cambodia.   It's right near a Cellcard service center where I sometimes go so a human can try to answer questions that I have about their various promotions.  I often go there soon after arrival to purchase a Sim even though Sims can be purchased elsewhere.   The tourist Sims sold at the airport are not the best deal for guys staying a few months.

I have never noticed the Kasikorn office. I doubt if it looks like atypical branch. But it is good to know that there are backups in case of an emergency.

https://kasikornbank.com/en/branch/Pages/overseas-branch2.aspx

If going from Suvaranaphumi to Cambodia your best bet for cost effective currency exchange is to exchange baht for USD $1 bills at the Super Rich Thailand or Value Plus in the basement of Swampy.   To juice your return even more, then once in Cambodia exchanage some USD $1 bills for Khmer Riel at a rate of about 4100 a dollar but in many bars and restaurants with menus in USD Khmer riel will be accepted at the informal exchange rate of 4000 riel per dollar which is effectively a 2.5% discount on every purchase.

The rate for buying USD $1 bills at the airport link is quite favorable. If after changing baht for $1 you could snap your fingers and magically transform 500 dollars of one dollar bills into 500 dollars of hundred dollar bills and then changed back to baht you'd make a profit. 

2nd best option for Americans is using the Fidelity or Schwab Visa card in an ATM as their is no foreign currency exchange and your ATM fee is rebated.

But good to know that this Kasikorn office could be helpful in an emergency.

Bangkok Bank also has a branch or office on Mao Tse Tung Boulevard in Phnom Penh.

maost.jpg

Bangkok Bank also has an office in Manila.  Note these offices are probably more geared to businesses but good to know they exist. 

• Like 1

On 12/16/2019 at 8:31 PM, blind boy grunt said:

is it easy to open a bank account in Cambodia?

At a Maybank branch in Phnom Penh, I was told one needed a 6 month visa and a work permit.  Don't know if this is a Maybank or a directive by the Cambodian Banking Commission if there is such a thing.

I don't have a Cambodian Bank account.  Cambodian Banks pay substantially higher interest than Thai banks or Western Banks probably because they are perceived to be riskier. Maybank is a Malaysian bank though. 

I have no idea about the Philippines.

It's not easy to open an account in Thiland with a tourist visa but I heard maybe at some Bangkok Bank branches if you go for their overpriced card and insurance scheme.