How do the bars survive?

bumblebee

On 12/23/2019 at 12:56 PM, petesie said:

A bar is far from a goldmine, most of us get nothing from it; to me it serves several purposes.

• It keeps the teerak in employment and elevates her status amongst her social group
  • It provides a social/employment venue for friends and associates
  • Great place to meet like minded souls

I can relate to some of the above as I thought that an island beach massage business would be good for my teerak.  The business made money and they were going to sign a contract for the next high season even though she didn't like the landlord very much.

But then the landlord wanted a 50K deposit when standard on that island was just 20K. He was having problems with his wife the big deposit was a big red flag.  Though I think he was just the type of person who likes making demands as he enjoys throwing his weight around. Both him and his wife would be verbally abusive to his own staff so some of the staff said, "take this job and shove it".  Then once she left the island for the low season the landlord relented on the deposit  but as a trip back just to sign a contract was a huge hassle that she put it off

Anyway, once back in Pattaya, after a month or so at her Mum's place,  wifey really enjoyed working with her sister and cousin at the joint she is working at now.  Being with family is important to her.  And she prefers being an employee to being a boss. Good that she gave it a gos never try never know.  

Anyway with owning a business there are benefits other than the profit as you outline Petesie.  But for wifey, it just wasn't enough.

• Like 1

On 12/25/2019 at 9:36 AM, petesie said:

Your agenda is pretty transparent. This is a completely different forum which shouldn't be subject to personal inferences, historical differences or grievances. <_<

Good idea. Keep on moderating Pyongyang and stop posting here. :biggrin:

Back to bars : I have nothing to change to what I posted almost 5 years ago regarding bars and ladyboys in Thailand. There are places though where bar owners are honest and work hard without having the advantage of using a forum. I found great ladyboys in bars. I guess the crisis is lighter for honest people. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

I can relate to some of the above as I thought that an island beach massage business would be good for my teerak.  The business made money and they were going to sign a contract for the next high season even though she didn't like the landlord very much.

But then the landlord wanted a 50K deposit when standard on that island was just 20K. He was having problems with his wife the big deposit was a big red flag.  Though I think he was just the type of person who likes making demands as he enjoys throwing his weight around. Both him and his wife would be verbally abusive to his own staff so some of the staff said, "take this job and shove it".  Then once she left the island for the low season the landlord relented on the deposit  but as a trip back just to sign a contract was a huge hassle that she put it off

Anyway, once back in Pattaya, after a month or so at her Mum's place,  wifey really enjoyed working with her sister and cousin at the joint she is working at now.  Being with family is important to her.  And she prefers being an employee to being a boss. Good that she gave it a gos never try never know.  

Anyway with owning a business there are benefits other than the profit as you outline Petesie.  But for wifey, it just wasn't enough.

The massage shop is a great business for us and am so happy Dao is making good money for her and family with a little extra for my flights to Thailand,  I think way more profitable than a bar if you have the right landlord  (no key money ) and right location .

Good to hear your girl is doing well and enjoying her work Mr.P

• Like 1

8 hours ago, P&G said:

Good idea. Keep on moderating Pyongyang and stop posting here. :biggrin: Back to bars : I have nothing to change to what I posted almost 5 years ago regarding bars and ladyboys in Thailand. There are places though where bar owners are honest and work hard without having the advantage of using a forum. I found great ladyboys in bars. I guess the crisis is lighter for honest people. 

The forums are a tremendous source of information for everyone; you choose what you look at, take what you want and scroll on, it's there if you want it and ignore it if you don't. It does however allow anonymity to individuals whose distorted opinion/personal attacks may be questionable. I've nothing to hide, I've been a regular Patts visitor for 13 years, met a lot of great people along the way. 

Stop posting here...where on Earth did that personal vitriolic demand spring from and are you actually aware of what you said? You also question my honesty; a person you've never actually met or have previously known...really? Please do not respond to perpetuate your personal myth.

Back on topic...

New may be still in her 20's but is fast becoming Mama to the girls. Their rent is due, visa runs, family crisis...she helps where she can. One girl asked for a loan to buy a new Burberry handbag...yon particular one was refused. B)

She also is a great Temple goer...her idea of a day out is visiting a new one so she'll bundle 4 girls in the truck and take them for a trip & a feed. She helps other bars out too, she understands the bureaucracy so freely gives out information & guidance when requested...and when they run short of beer/whisky a crate or bottle is there if required. 

There's always a few drop by's...one old gay fella drops in to do their eyebrows etc...10 baht a pop, I offered to pay one night and Farang Auto tax kicked in and was asked for 40...an older ladyboy called by and asked New if she could clean the bar. New realised her girls didn't like doing it so she was hired and the bar is tip top every day.

A refresh is needed as Newbar is getting a bit shabby...this will happen soon.

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, petesie said:

There's always a few drop by's...one old gay fella drops in to do their eyebrows etc...10 baht a pop, I offered to pay one night and Farang Auto tax kicked in and was asked for 40.

If you were wearing the shirt Quinn posted in the Christmas dinner thread you could just point to ขอราคาคนไทยได้ไหม which is a request not to pay the Farang Auto Tax.  :biggrin:

CC.jpg

53 minutes ago, petesie said:

an older ladyboy called by and asked New if she could clean the bar. New realised her girls didn't like doing it so she was hired and the bar is tip top every day.

Wifey has to come in early to clean the massage shop once a week.  1/7 comes in early on Monday, 1/7 on Tuesday etc.   But if they don't want to clean they can pay another girl 200 baht to clean.  

It seems New's kind heartedness goes a long way in building staff loyalty.  :biggrin:

My better half also loves taking trips to temples and sometimes does overnight retreats.

58 minutes ago, petesie said:

The forums are a tremendous source of information for everyone; you choose what you look at, take what you want and scroll on, it's there if you want it and ignore it if you don't. It does however allow anonymity to individuals whose distorted opinion/personal attacks may be questionable. I've nothing to hide, I've been a regular Patts visitor for 13 years, met a lot of great people along the way. 

Stop posting here...where on Earth did that personal vitriolic demand spring from and are you actually aware of what you said? You also question my honesty; a person you've never actually met or have previously known...really? Please do not respond to perpetuate your personal myth.

Back on topic...

New may be still in her 20's but is fast becoming Mama to the girls. Their rent is due, visa runs, family crisis...she helps where she can. One girl asked for a loan to buy a new Burberry handbag...yon particular one was refused. B)

She also is a great Temple goer...her idea of a day out is visiting a new one so she'll bundle 4 girls in the truck and take them for a trip & a feed. She helps other bars out too, she understands the bureaucracy so freely gives out information & guidance when requested...and when they run short of beer/whisky a crate or bottle is there if required. 

There's always a few drop by's...one old gay fella drops in to do their eyebrows etc...10 baht a pop, I offered to pay one night and Farang Auto tax kicked in and was asked for 40...an older ladyboy called by and asked New if she could clean the bar. New realised her girls didn't like doing it so she was hired and the bar is tip top every day.

A refresh is needed as Newbar is getting a bit shabby...this will happen soon.

I volunteer to be part of the refresh crew. When I say volunteer there is a limit. I would ask for free access to a LB of my choice whenever required.(at my age could be once a week). 

Paid airfare and lodgings also.

Not a lot to ask for, as in return you will have my expertise in directing otherwise unemployed LB's in the art of resoration. I am sure there are some whose talents go beyond bedroom activities?. If not I don't mind giving hands on training!. Equipment such as paint, brushes, rollers to be supplied of course. The other stuff such as condoms, lube etc.. should be on hand.

Please advise a startup date.

• Like 3

How Do The Girls Survive...

It's a different ballgame these days;

10 years ago they would be reliant on sitting at their bar hoping to catch someones eye for a few drinks and a take out. Barfines, Ladydrinks etc. were usually paid at the end of the month where discretionary cuts may be made for tardiness, behaviours and in some bars, quotas not achieved. This ensured that the bar could get a full months attendance out of them.

Some of the more savvy ones snared their sponsors early, clever ones would play the game while the airheads would soon destroy any element of trust previously earned and swiftly lose their monthly allowance. One Ezy bar girl had 3 European fellas all sending her 1k Euro pm and still was in the bar every night looking for more.

Some of the girls from those days are still around; a few have steady relationships which maintain them, a few have bars as their source of income, some have found regular jobs and others drift into the massage parlours or return to the village; sadly a few were lost along the way.

• Like 3

How Do The Girls Survive...

10 years on...

The girls are a different generation, more intelligent and savvy to what's around them. They have grasped all technology has to offer and use it to their advantage. All the social media is at their fingertips on the latest smartphone. However...they have to earn their spurs on the way up.

Some use the bars to promote themselves and their availability...no longer interested in being salaried much preferring to turn up when it suits them. They quickly realise that Thai Friendly is not always a great deal unless you have an idea who is on the other end of the Line...:blink:

Being available in a bar gives them first hand knowledge of the fellas and build their  'cussamer' base; occasionally a sponsor will fall out of the tree but a realistic figure to maintain them is far higher than it used to be; a pretty girl with some sense will be making money from barfines, ST's, LT's and a regular amount from LD's, tips, if they're in a good spot.

I would put a figure of 3k per day as an average earn for a pretty girl; more if she's manage to pick up a sponsor. B)

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, petesie said:

Some of the girls from those days are still around; a few have steady relationships which maintain them, a few have bars as their source of income, some have found regular jobs and others drift into the massage parlours or return to the village; sadly a few were lost along the way.

It’s interesting, and a tad sad at times, to see some of those still around today.  Sonya has probably done the best for herself with her photography business.  But to see girls like Jen in La Bamba, Keaw (Ezy and Famous) now in Baby Boom, and Alis, the legendary Alis propping up a counter in Delirious bar makes one wonder how they never broke away from it all after so many years.  Each has a background story no doubt.

• Like 1

Was having this same chat with Dixon last night, Sonya has to be one of the biggest Pattaya success stories in re-skilling to set herself up for the next phase of her life. She’s quickly become the go to photographer for social events in the scene and has even been summoned to Bangkok for a few. I also think the girls are more open with their poses when she is behind the shutter.

• Like 4

Start of this year I culled most of the active LBs on my social media because their daily feeds start to get tedious, they post a pic “I’m lonely” and every basement wanker from Atlanta to Timbuktu writes nonsense in the comments.

The only ones I still follow are ones that have got out, and stayed out....Atom formerly of Sensations, now married and living in Canada. Wey/Helen formerly of Ezy and Fantasy Lounge, now married and living in Brighton. 

• Like 3

Back to bars and their business. Instead on focusing on a fistful of small egos, I'd like to point out I visited recently bars where ladyboys and business owners don't worry about their future and don't complain it's too quiet or money is not coming in. As luck would have it, customers are not mistaken for mugs and the atmosphere is very relaxed.

Why focus on those bars whose boss / actual owner communicate they work hard or too much ? I prefer the boss I flirted with (a sexy ladyboy) to replace my favorite (working in her business) when she had a day off. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, petesie said:

Despite the village still searching for him he continues on his personal tirade completely missing the point including the title of the thread.

petesie, please stop this stuff over here, don't you get enough of that over at your place(?).

• Like 3

On 12/28/2019 at 12:13 PM, petesie said:

Aye Davie, he’s the fella 

On 12/28/2019 at 12:24 PM, duke007 said:

:good: Pete 

I met up with him and Thompson Twins after the Man City v Brighton game last season, we had a few bevvies in the Centre of Manchester B)

Funnily enough Pete, Thompson Twins aka Onetruesaxon got in touch as he is staying in Town for two nights, so we are meeting up tonight in the City Centre of Manchester for a few sherberts ..... should be fun and we may even take in the 'Gay Village' :o

• Like 2