Farming and other cool stuff outside the Bar world.

stoolpusher

3 hours ago, JustSumGai said:

great stuff Stoolie...I've had a hard time getting info from my ladyboy farmer.  She's got 8 rai.  They usually harvest by hand, paying workers 3-400 baht a day, I've always suspected it was a money loser when it's all said and done, or very near.  If she can buy rice at 2000 baht a year for her small family use, I think she should just dig great holes in her fields and farm fish and  crawfish maybe.  THIS YEAR one of those Kubota mini harvesters showed up and she'll go that route I think. 

Tell me something, her fields look all BLOWN DOWN, like trashed by wind, yet yours are standing fine, just yellowed. What's up with that do ya know? Can't get an answer from Polly.

124586079_929336094261857_6288798197514464682_n.jpg

Depending on what rice she has ( Jasmine or sticky ) ,there is a slight colour difference when close to harvest time . The rice plant when it turns to seed ( harvest time ) gets very top heavy and the wind plays a big part to in making it fall down,  the Thai term is " rice sleeping " , about 50% of ours was sleeping. The yellowing is another indication that its ready for harvest and the Jasmine matures a little quicker than the sticky. 

When looking at costs if you have the money on the day it works out cheaper,quicker and less labour involved using the harvester and is easier for the machine to rake the sleeping rice than by hand .

Cutting by hand you still have to get someone with a  harvester or a mobile header to remove the rice from the stalk and they need to be paid as well .

We are helping hand cut today, and the owner will get a mobile header in .

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Responding to JSG previous question has prompted me to post a little more about the rice harvest process .

As with all grasses the color changes as the plant matures , as the seed ( in this case rice ) starts to form the plant is a healthy green and the seed is very soft inside the shell . Then the plant starts to die off turning a yellow then to brown in color , the seed firms up  and is then ready to harvest. In nature the seed would fall to the ground , germinate and the process starts all over again . With the rice being grown for food and sale , its a bit of a juggling act to get the timing just right . If the rice is cut to soon then the crop takes much longer to dry out before it can be stored or sold , if its left to long then it falls off the stalk and the crop is lost .

As for using a harvester or manual labor you have to look at the cost , time taken ( using both methods ) and lost product that then affects profits.

The average hand cutting team work in groups of at least 10 people at 3 to 400 baht per person per day cutting in JSG case 8 rai that would take at least a day and a half and its a general rule the farmer has to provide food and beverages for the team ( another cost ), then you still need a header or harvester to remove the rice from the plant at another cost . Using a harvester the same area costs about 4,000 baht , takes half a day and is cut , the seed separated from the stalk and is then loaded into bags or a trailer for sale or storage . So for me the harvester is the way to go .         

• Like 2

yeah, I'm glad that guy showed up.  Buying a harvester might be a good business move, as this is the first I've seen of one in her area.  Definitely glad this guy showed up. Polly works her ass off on that 8 rai all season, pulling weeds, replacing thinned out patches, etc. Then the harvest.  Probably jasmine, don't know.  Do they do half and half? she's got two 4 rai plots, could do sticky in one I spose.  NICE tractor Stoolie, jesus...big money big money...need a big long flatbed to transport the whole family :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JustSumGai said:

yeah, I'm glad that guy showed up.  Buying a harvester might be a good business move, as this is the first I've seen of one in her area.  Definitely glad this guy showed up. Polly works her ass off on that 8 rai all season, pulling weeds, replacing thinned out patches, etc. Then the harvest.  Probably jasmine, don't know.  Do they do half and half? she's got two 4 rai plots, could do sticky in one I spose.  NICE tractor Stoolie, jesus...big money big money...need a big long flatbed to transport the whole family :)

The only problem buying a harvester is that its only used for rice so only about 2 months of the year other times it just sits in the shed .

Yes most farms grow both Jasmine and sticky , the sticky takes a little longer to grow ( an extra couple of weeks. )

• Like 1

As a youngster, early 20s, I used to go home from the Big Smoke & do ploughing, disc harrow, through the night, propped up on what I suppose was meth pill (people were talking to me there but I never saw one of them ^_^). The plough had an outrider wheel which you were supposed to put your front wheel in as a guide the next time around. One night, near dawn I followed the outrider wheel track till I came to a dead tree trunk with the track running up and across it. Promptly veered around it and continued on. Would have been hell to pay if I'd got too involved with the tree. It was the drugs, yer lordship, I didn'tknow what was in them pills. Just to keep me awake, mind!

The brother in law went into town one day and came back with a Chamberlain Super 70, I think, cost as much as a Roller then. It would be dwarfed by the machinery used nowadays. He never let me near it, I had the old banger, a Canadian make I never heard of since, a Cockshutt? Then, round about this time of the year was harvesting. 35 - 40 plus degrees! Bagging wheat as it came out of the hopper (?) on the back of the tractor. Skin used to itch from the wheat dust but a bath in the Gill Gil bore tub afterwards made it right. Then off to the Golden Sheaf  for a few schooeys. Loved being a farmer for a while!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, stoolpusher said:

Hope you enjoy. 

I love pics,  the bottom one is just serene,  I enjoy learning and seeing the whole rice making process and love how it can be re grown from the end of the harvest with the dried out rice seeds, quite an amazing natural process.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BigTel said:

I love pics,  the bottom one is just serene,  I enjoy learning and seeing the whole rice making process and love how it can be re grown from the end of the harvest with the dried out rice seeds, quite an amazing natural process.

Thanks mate .

It fascinates me to and I am the one doing it , to speed the germination process up the rice is soaked in water for up to 48 hours before spreading. 

Hope you enjoy the rest of this thread, there are so many different things in Thailand away from the bar scene. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/11/2020 at 2:39 AM, JustSumGai said:

farm fish and  crawfish maybe

Seems as if the cold spell is a problem for both fish and fighting cocks!

NONG KHAI (NNT) - This week, Thailand can expect to face continuing cold weather. Some areas will even see very low temperatures, such as Nong Khai, where farm fish and cattle need extra care.

Today’s temperature in Nong Khai province was as low as 10 degrees Celsius. The temperature drop has had affects on fish in farms in the Mekong River, as they consume much less feed. Even more, smaller fish cannot tolerate the cold and more have died than usual. Fish farmers have to feed the fish with supplements and vitamins in order to keep them strong. In Hin Ngom sub-district alone there are over 50 farms which have been affected by the low temperatures.

Besides the fish, pets and other domestic animals also require more care. Owners of fighting cocks must put their birds in the sunlight or even light a fire to keep them warm and healthy.

2 hours ago, Jimmy Cargopants said:

Always good to have a look at this thread. As Nosher says it's a whole other side of Thailand. I call farming one of the honourable professions. It's honest labour, and actually produces something we all need. Much respect to the farmer - in TH or anywhere in the world...

Pretty cold in Nong Khai now I take it. 

Some mornings it has been below 14 and we are expecting a cold snap next week

• Like 1

Its 6 and a bit weeks since we started this rice field and it looks to be coming along just fine . About 6 rai of rice all up and to date we have put three 50 kg bags of fertilizer at 400 baht per bag + 500 baht for fuel for the pump keeping water up to the crop.

20210120_072757_resize_22.jpg

• Like 6

it is my girl's 29th tomorrow.

She asked me for a birthday present 7000 to buy Ducks she says they cost 135bht each and she wants a 100 but auntie will pay half

anyone know about Ducks in Thailand

She wants them to sell the eggs and to breed

she is also hoping to dig "big hole to make pond to breed fish and for the ducks" that will cost 20000 but she will raise that herself

Whatever happened to the sick Buffalo

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The Ducks duely arrived yesterday, 100 in number, so more added work for my girl. But she put the rubber to bed on Monday after 7 weeks of working nearly every night.

For those of you who do not realise, working on a Thai farm is gruelling labour. 7 dyas a week 52 weeks a year.

Many families will be pleased that the Ladyboy member has returned home and can take a lot of the manual labour off elderly parents shoulders.

While my girls family appreciated the money she sent - they really appreciate her return and she works bloody hard.

Of course they really appreciate that she has silly old friend who send a few bhts now and then.

They are suggesting I go live there so I can be looked after - must have ATM stamped to my forehead.

Well as the money has gone to the ducks and following me being a dick - my two favourites at Sweethearts will have to do without their odd drinks  for a while.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, annat555 said:

The Ducks duely arrived yesterday, 100 in number, so more added work for my girl. But she put the rubber to bed on Monday after 7 weeks of working nearly every night.

For those of you who do not realise, working on a Thai farm is gruelling labour. 7 dyas a week 52 weeks a year.

Many families will be pleased that the Ladyboy member has returned home and can take a lot of the manual labour off elderly parents shoulders.

While my girls family appreciated the money she sent - they really appreciate her return and she works bloody hard.

Of course they really appreciate that she has silly old friend who send a few bhts now and then.

They are suggesting I go live there so I can be looked after - must have ATM stamped to my forehead.

Well as the money has gone to the ducks and following me being a dick - my two favourites at Sweethearts will have to do without their odd drinks  for a while.

I thought the same when I moved here but completely the opposite and you will find the same Annat with your girls family . 

I said from the start I am not a rich man and have never been asked to help the family with out getting the money back in a specified time , everyone needs a hand out now and then  In my case I have got it back in full .

It will be a culture shock at first but it will work out in the long run , its way different living full time than staying a couple of weeks

• Like 3