Bus... Swampy to Jomtien and back

duke007

I use that bus service when returning to bkk airport from Jomtien as tickets can be purchased 3 days before travel.

But you can't buy tickets in advance from airport to Jomtien. So if next bus is already fully booked you have to wait another two hours for the next bus after that.

I did do that last trip, as I couldn't check in to my accomodation before 2pm, so it was either wait in lobby for 2 hours, or wait in airport for 2 hours.

But next time I'll get taxi to Jomtien, and bus back to bkk when I leave. It is a good service.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Quietguy said:

I did do that last trip, as I couldn't check in to my accomodation before 2pm, so it was either wait in lobby for 2 hours, or wait in airport for 2 hours.

When we arrived in Swampy last November there was a bus leaving every 30 mins it seemed.  Has there been a change or does it depend on the time of year would you know?

• Like 1

During daytime running I believe the buses from Swampy alternate between the Jomtien bus and the Bell Bus service every hour, so it's two hours between your preferred bus. Being a Pattaya resident I prefer the Bell Bus as I get taken directly to my place of residence without hassle and all part of a single ticket. I noted last time (April 2019) that they now charge extra for additional baggage on their booking website.

If I just miss my preferred bus or am unable to get a ticket for the next one in reasonable time I will then consider taking a taxi. Depending what mood I'm in I may hover around to see if there is another single traveller in the same position as me in the hope that we could share. I don't mnd sharing a taxi.

Last time I returned from BKK to Pattaya using Nam's Taxi - Lady drivers. I'm in no hurry to use them or a service like that again unless my arrival time is outside normal travel hours. The female driver was a right miserable cunt and had an attitude because the flight had been delayed, which was hardly my fault.

• Like 2

Seems in this thread forum members have had different experiences with this bus as far as departure times.   My experience is more in line with BB's.   They sometimes add extra busses during busy times.  Of course a bus and a driver needs to be available at Swampy.

Here is the official schedule:

https://airportpattayabus.com/from-suvarnabhumi-airport/

My feelings are kind of the opposite of QG in that he seems to prefer the service going to the airport and I prefer the service coming from the airport.  I never know for sure what time my flight will arrive so it's difficult figuring what time to book the Bell Bus.  And if you have the wrong debit card sometimes Bell won't accept it. It's frustrating to get knocked back over such a small purchase.

OTOH, I am more concerned about timing, reliability, and making it easy when going to the airport.   So, I usually use the Bell Bus.    I don't want going to the airport to be stressful.  I'm more willing to put up with hassles when coming from the airport.

Also when coming from Jomtien the baht bus stops an easy 5 minute walk, 7 with luggage, from where I stay.  The reverse is not true as going there I'm packed like a sardine at the Pattaya Tai to Jomtien baht bus queue and my luggage becomes problematic.  

Note the last two busses of the day from the airport don't go to Jomtien. Instead the terminus is the North Pattaya Bus Station.

The Bell Bus in now 300 baht compared with the 140 (130 for Jomtien bus + 10 baht for the baht bus) but it's worth it to me when catching a plane.   

http://www.belltravelservice.com/shared-transfer/

Where should one get off the Jomtien Bus as they make a couple quick stops on Sukhumvit?  For most people, I recommend taking it all the way to Jomtien although there are a few stops on the wrong side of Sukhumvit. I used to stay at a place a minute's walk from Pattaya Tai and 3rd Road, so it was more convienent to get off at Sukhumvit and Pattaya Tai.  But using the Sukhumvit overpass in the rain with luggage blows.

Taxis?  Friend have had good experiences with PT (1000 to airport; 1100 from the airport).  

https://pttaxiservice.com/services-rates/

If flying at an inconvenient time an often overlooked alternative to taxis is staying at the Great Residence Hotel near the airport.   It's inexpensive, saves a night's lodging in Pattaya and offers 2 way reliable transport to the airport.   It's about a 7 minute drive.  Can generally be booked on Booking.com or Agoda but sometimes they have multiple options so you need to be careful to choose 2 Way Airport Transfer Included.  I've used it both when arriving late and departing early.

To Book Great Residence on Agoda Through Our Partner Site

Travelling to Bangkok for a quick one or two night trip?   I'll take the Jomtien Bus as I'm just taking a backpack.   At the airport I'll take the Airport Link to either Makkasan 35 baht or PhayaThai 45 baht.  If going to Nana best to get off at Phayathai and transfer to the BTS. If going to Soi Cowboy best to get off at Makkasan and transfer to the MRT.  If travelling to Bangkok City from Pattaya with luggage perhaps the door to door service of the Bell Bus plus two vans at 400 baht is better.   But just a backpack prefer the Jomtien Bus plus rail transport to avoid Bangkok traffic. 

https://www.bangkokairportonline.com/bangkok-airport-rail-link/

Waiting at the airport is not really a big deal for me.  I like to walk around the basement exchange booths in the basement, maybe go to the AIS counter to see if my Sims are still valid as I find it difficult to open my phone but for them it's a snap, maybe have a bite at the cafeteria near the bus ticket counter, take a dump, read my Kindle, the time goes by fairly quickly.

• Like 3

I would use the Bell Bus if I arrived earlier, I have a couple of times before. But the last services from airport are at 1600, then 1800.

My flight next trip arrives at 1545 (if on time). By the time I disembark and clear customs and immigration I will have missed the 1600 departure.

So again I would have to wait around in airport for 2 hours for the 1800 bus. I'd rather get a taxi. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bumblebee said:

When we arrived in Swampy last November there was a bus leaving every 30 mins it seemed.  Has there been a change or does it depend on the time of year would you know?

The leaflet I have says there is a bus leaving airport every 1 hour from 0700 - 2200.

But last trip in January this year I arrived at bkk at 0935, I got to the coach booking stand about 1020, so I had missed 1000 bus. The 1100 bus was already fully booked, so I had to buy a ticket for the 1200 bus.

It was still a busy period. If you arrive at a quieter time you might get the next bus. I believe sustra said he did. 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 10/28/2019 at 10:36 PM, Quietguy said:

I use that bus service when returning to bkk airport from Jomtien as tickets can be purchased 3 days before travel.

But you can't buy tickets in advance from airport to Jomtien. So if next bus is already fully booked you have to wait another two hours for the next bus after that.

The bus from Swampy to Jomtien and vice versa has resumed service.   There are four busses each way per day @ 9:00, 12:00, 15:00, and 18:00.   Price is 130 baht.   For many people the Jomtien station is much more convenient that the Pattaya North station as the Jomtien station is on an active baht bus route. There is also one bus per day from Swampy to Hua Hin.

The really good news is that for a 25 baht service fee you can book online in advance.

http://airportpattayabus.com/

• Like 2

On 10/29/2019 at 6:47 PM, duke007 said:

Just chatted to my buddy Stickyfingers who arrived in the Kingdom today with Qatar Airways and used this Swampy to Jomtien Bus service

He owns a Condo at VT2b in Jomtien so handy for him to save a few quid. :good:

He'd better not bag my seat by the pool - mind you most of the day only a couple of punters in.

• 9 months later...