CULTURE CLASH-WHY INDIANS, RUSSIANS, AMERICANS, ETC. ACT THE WAY THEY DO IN PATTAYA

bumblebee

One of the topics many of us can relate to no doubt.

Example One: The wind-up. In some cultures, especially Australia and England, it is somewhat common to call people a “fucking cunt” as a friendly greeting or continually wind a person up with self jokes, insults, etc as a way of friendly banter. In other cultures, including a lot of America and Japan, this is NOT common. In fact, the word cunt is almost NEVER used in the states and most people tend not to wind each other up as much due to the lawsuit culture, threat of defamation of character, the public sensitivity issues, etc. This has taken me (And at times still taking) a lot of time to get used to. I’ve seen more than one fight here because someone is intending to simply give someone a friendly wind up and the other person takes it seriously and before you know it people come to blows. I personally don’t enjoy winding people or making fun of them but I understand why people do and to them, it is often a term of endearment vs. an actual insult. There are a lot of people here that will wind up others based on the country they are from. In most cases, it is harmless jokes and if I had one baht for every Donald Trump joke or comment over the last year I would be a rich man now.”

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I worked in factories in N.J. as a yute...the wind up was EXTREMELY common. In no way could I see it as endearment, they just loved fucking with ya. Frankly I always saw em as grown school yard bullies. Once, someone mistook pounds for gallons and the corn syrup tank overflowed, many of the guys manned the squeegees and Phil, a smiling but retarded janitor type guy was there too. The winders got him in the thick of it then swept his feet from under him landing him in about an inch of syrup on a concrete floor. They erupted in laughter as poor Phil struggled to try to get to hit feet.  All these years later anyone tries to wind me up I create distance fast, no time for it.

• Like 4

Here in Australia its normal to wind a mate up and no one takes offence by it . I was in a bar in bkk once and friendly banter  between me and another Aussie  ( we didn't know each other  ). After the other guy left with a cutie this German guy was in shock that we didn't get into a fight , I had to explain to him that is was all in fun ..He still didn't understand. 

Its just a cultural thing. 

• Like 2

On 11/4/2019 at 7:34 PM, stoolpusher said:

Here in Australia its normal to wind a mate up and no one takes offence by it .  

It's ok if it's between mates who know it's just a wind up. But not if it's being done online or against people you don't know and who won't know it's a wind up and not serious.

In London if you insult or wind up people who don't know you it is likely to lead to a fight, or worse.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Quietguy said:

It's ok if it's between mates who know it's just a wind up. But not if it's being done online or against people you don't know and who won't know it's a wind up and not serious.

That's it exactly, Quietguy. And even between mates it doesn't happen all the time; but when the words come out, as stoolpusher said, no one takes offence, because it's not meant that way, and both parties know it.

• Like 3

indeed, i confess that i could be seen as a wind-up merchant... it's really just my natural sense of humour [to me anyway] but i do try to be careful sometimes.. usually the British and Aussies understand, but Americans usually can't get it. Nowadays i try to think before i speak... so stoolpusher...tripped over your moustache recently?......:laugh:

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, blind boy grunt said:

indeed, i confess that i could be seen as a wind-up merchant... it's really just my natural sense of humour [to me anyway] but i do try to be careful sometimes.. usually the British and Aussies understand, but Americans usually can't get it. Nowadays i try to think before i speak... so stoolpusher...tripped over your moustache recently?......:laugh:

Yep all the time