Smartphone Data Plans 2019-2020 High Season

Pdoggg

We all have different needs when it comes to data plans.  My situation is that I have free wifi at my condo for two devices and primarily want to be connected when I'm away from home.   Also there are some situations where I might want to use my smartfone internet at home.

I think I will try an AIS plan that gives me 1GB a month at max speed for 1 month which automatically renews and if I use up the 1GB it continues at the extremely slow speed of 128 kbs.   The nice thing about the 128kb is that I won't get hit with exhorbitant fees if I go over the 1GB limit as described by 360 in the thread below.  There might also be situations when I'm out and about and just need to retrieve one message and the 128kbs per second might be enough or once I realize I've been throttled, I can add on a short term plan if I have the codes handy. Note that you can get 2GB a month for just 239 but it doesn't revert to 128kbs if you use up your 2GB.

Screen Shot 2562-10-15 at 11.50.56.png

In the past I've been using an unlimited plan but it seems in 2019 the price has gone up and unlimited does not mean unlimited anymore but rather there is a very high gigabyte allowance such as 20GB.   If you're on Youtube, Netflix, or Chaturbate frequently maybe you will burn through this data, I dunno.

There are also some plans with no restrictions unlimited AIS super wifi but have never used it.  Anyone ever use AIS super wifi? I don't really understand the concept.

I suppose some guys like auto renew and some like manual renew.  Guess a downside to auto renew is that if you forget to cancel you will drain your balance if you leave Thailand.

AIS has some sort of unlimited plans that gets throttled at 4Mbs or 6Mbs.   I think 4Mbs is good enough for streaming but I really don't know.   If you are upcountry and only have 3G but not 4G, I'm not even sure if you can exceed 4Mbs with 3G

Here are some AIS links:

http://www.ais.co.th/one-2-call/en/addon/nonstop.html

http://www.ais.co.th/one-2-call/en/addon/internet4g_continued.html

Some guys use Youtube for music but if you are only listening and not watching I guess Spotify is a better choice.    My Spotify account worked in Thailand and the Philippines stopped working in Cambodia so I switched to Soundcloud.   Anyone have any tips for Spotify?

Here's a link about how much data Youtube consumes:

https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhones/Guides/How-Much-Data-Does-YouTube-Use

Here is a link regarding bandwidth efficiency so you don't burn through your data:

https://www.howtogeek.com/201827/how-much-mobile-data-do-streaming-services-use-and-how-you-can-make-them-use-less/ 

How about True and DTAC?  Anyone have good plans with them?   Unless True or DTAC has clearly superior plans I'd be reluctant to switch from AIS though.

Thoughts?

19 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

My Spotify account worked in Thailand and the Philippines stopped working in Cambodia so I switched to Soundcloud.   Anyone have any tips for Spotify?

I use Spotify Free at the gym in Pattaya on my long winter trips. When I first started using it a message would pop up on the screen that faded away too fast to be read. My account was setup in the US and I finally figured out the message said if I was going to be out of the country for more than 14 days I needed to change my address on my Spotify account. I changed my address to Thailand but Spotify still stopped working after 14 days.

Two things that worked for me. #1 Uninstall the Spotify app and reinstall. This gave me a new 14 days but I had to repeat every two weeks. #2 Change address back to US, uninstall/reinstall app and use my VPN to pretend I am in the US. This seems to be a permanent solution but I have a VPN service that I can use on several devices and it has an Android app.

Is your Spotify address in Thailand? If so does it still not work when you are in Thailand? If not you might try the uninstall/reinstall and login FWIW.

When in Thailand I've been using an AIS plan for unlimited data @ 1 Mbps speed for 30 days for 300 baht. *777*7153#

I'll have to sort through the plans and see if there is anything I like better.   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, xyzzy said:

Is your Spotify address in Thailand? If so does it still not work when you are in Thailand?

On my laptop I was able to change my Spotify account from the Philippines to Thailand and it is working fine. :biggrin:  Haven't tried on my phone yet; think it is a different account and may have forgot my password or other sign up details.

Are there any significant advantages to a Premium plan?

11 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

Are there any significant advantages to a Premium plan?

You get no commercials, can build play lists and you get more song skips. At least that is what I think as I don't have premium. Spotify sends me an Email every month or so trying to get me to sign up for Premium. I would guess that email has all the details.

Here are the US plans: https://www.spotify.com/us/premium/?checkout=false#STOREFRONT-2

With free I get a couple of commercials maybe twice in the hour I spend at the gym. They are in English unlike yours that are in Thai and some are targeted to the geographical area where my VPN randomly connects in the US. I don't really want to make a playlist. Being an old fart I listen to the "Pure Rock and Roll" channel. They seldom play something I don't like/know but I skip a song on occasion. I think one is allowed six skips a day on free? They seem to change the songs up on a fairly regular basis so the variety is good.     

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Went to Central today and visited the AIS store and the True store.  AIS has moved from the basement to Level 3.  True is faces 2nd Road on the ground floor next to True Coffee. 

Seems there is a price war, and this month has the best data add on plans that I've ever seen. However it's only good for Sim cards that are 7 days old or newer. I reckon one of the carriers started the promotion and the others felt compelled to follow suit.  

Both carriers have an unlimited data plan throttled at the extremely high 10Mbs for just 200 baht a baht. It is automatically renews every month for a year as long as you have at least 200 baht or more on your phone.  

For AIS the sign up code is *777*932# but your Sim must be 7 days or newer.

AIS Sims are 50 baht. You can so 20 baht top ups at the AIS store and some Family Marts. There are some Family Marts that will only do 50 baht minimums.

So you can buy a Sim for 50 baht and buy twelve 20 baht top ups.  So your Sim validity would be for 360 days. Then you dial *777*932# and you have unlimited internet at a speed that is pretty fast for a month. You then still have 40 baht credit.  Just top up some baht if you want to keep it going for another month. 

I believe this promotion includes free calls to any network so you can just dial instead of using Line. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

Took a look at this site. Seems useful for guys who want to extend their Sim's validity from abroad so they don't lose their number.

Yes Pdog , 

I even used it yesterday to topup my sim saves going to the Dtac store. The website will remind you when a top up is due 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/22/2019 at 5:17 PM, Pdoggg said:

Seems there is a price war, and this month has the best data add on plans that I've ever seen. However it's only good for Sim cards that are 7 days old or newer. I reckon one of the carriers started the promotion and the others felt compelled to follow suit.  

Both carriers have an unlimited data plan throttled at the extremely high 10Mbs for just 200 baht a baht. It is automatically renews every month for a year as long as you have at least 200 baht or more on your phone. 

My add on plan renewed at the end of the first month, quite happy because it is the best plan I have ever seen. :yahoo:

========================================================================

This month there is an add on data plan that is almost as good as last month.  The difference is that last month you also had unlimited free calling.    It's nice, but not essential, to make free calls since otherwise I could use Line which is pretty good for calling.  Texts are not free either but you can use Line. I believe these plans auto renew if you have ebough baht on your phone.

I will try to visit the AIS and True Service centers in Central and get the lowdown. These are official service centers and not a franchise operation such as in Tuk Com.

Here's an example of what you can get. Note it's only for new Sims that have been registered in the last 7 days.  But Sims only cost 50 baht.

Below are the plans for True, AIS, and DTAC.  But if you are near an official service center best to pop in.  Only for new Sims but IMO worth getting a new Sim for most guys.  This expires at the end of the month.

datatrue.jpg

dataais.jpgdatadtac.jpg

• Like 1

Dropped into the AIS and True service centers in Central Festival Pattaya today. True is on the ground floor near the 2nd road entrance. AIS has now moved and is now on the third floor.  (Edit: NOT 3rd Road as I had mistyped earlier)

These plans require a Sim that has been registered i the part 7 days.

You can buy a AIS sim at any Family Mart for 50 baht.  Then top it up with 200 baht and dial *777*968# and you have unlimited internet throttled at 10 Mbs which is fast enough for me.  

If you prefer True you can buy a True Sim for 49 baht at 7/11. Then top it up with 200 baht and the code is *999*9979#

Once you sign up these plans should auto renew as long as you have 200 baht in your account.  

This promotion ends at in three days.  I doubt if this price war will continue much longer.  Unlike the November promotion, you don't get free calls but it still is a great deal.

• Like 1

As said before about the plan I am on , my question is. 

Can I keep my number and upgrade to a Wi-Fi package with dtac ? , or do I need to change the lot . I am happy with dtac and recharge on line that saves me going to a dtac shop or  when away  ( as said before ) .

Just now, stoolpusher said:

Can I keep my number and upgrade to a Wi-Fi package with dtac ?

This is only for new Sims registered in the last 7 days.

If you want to stay with DTAC you would need to get a new Sim and a new number which is probably 50 baht.

I think you could get a new Sim with True or AIS and keep your old number.  And then do the 200 baht a month plan with True or AIS.   But I have never done this and would involve going to a True or AIS service center in order to exchange an existing number to another company's Sim.

Looking at the Recharge website, Recharge can be used with DTAC, AIS, and True.

This promotion ends on December 31st so you would need to buy a new Sim, top up so u have 200 baht credit, and then dial the code to get the plan.

12 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

I think you could get a new Sim with True or AIS and keep your old number.  And then do the 200 baht a month plan with True or AIS.   But I have never done this and would involve going to a True or AIS service center in order to exchange an existing number to another company's Sim.

I'm going to *guess* this promotion is to get new customers. The next time you check out the plans ask this question. Because I have perhaps incorrectly assumed I would need to change numbers. I might be at Tukcom tomorrow. AIS at Tukcom used to be packed with customers but these days, with other office options, in the early afternoon I haven't seen more than two customers at the counter.

6 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

I think if you want to keep the same number then u would have to switch carriers as unintuitive as that seems. So if currently with AIS you would need to need to have True register your number or vice versa. But dont know for sure.

No, you can get your number again from the same carrier - I did this with my True number to upgrade it to 4G capability. When I first bought it 3G was the maximum it was capable of, but I didn't want to change the same number I have had for years.

• Like 1