Pdoggg

Pope Francis Coming To Bangkok

Not the big deal like when he was visiting the Philippines, but the Pope is coming to the Big Mango next month!

The Catholic Bishops Conference of Thailand have released the itinerary for the Pope’s visit to Thailand next month, confirming that Pope Francis will meet separately with His Majesty the King, PM Prayut Chan-o-cha, as well as the Supreme Patriarch and head of the Buddhist faith in Thailand.

The Pope’s Bangkok visit will last three days, beginning when he touches down at Don Muang’s Military Air Terminal 2 on November 20.

If using Booking.com or Agoda please help support LBR and use our links.

Click Here For The Pattaya Hotel Guide and our Links

3 minutes ago, Pdoggg said:

Not the big deal like when he was visiting the Philippines, but the Pope is coming to the Big Mango next month!

This is a serious question. I am not religious at all, and I wonder how other people, Catholic or not, feel about this visit. 

I would really like to know.

• Like 1

Would the average Thai be even aware of who he is, besides someone somehow famous.  I worked in a school years ago in Bangkok which was founded by French catholic missionary monks, the admin there would be up for the visit I’d imagine.  They loved their ceremonies and prayers.  There as a huge statute of one of the founders in the main school yard, always reminded me of something from North Korea.

• Like 1

Ohhhh...now I understand...when I took my flight back to Rome 2 days ago on my Thai airways plane ( half empty ) 5 Thai nationality Catholic sisters were seated not too far from me.. I'm used to see many Philippines sisters..but never seen before Thai...maybe they were going to pick him up...was surprised to see them ( not surprised to see naked lbs anymore now...a sort of new first time in life )

• Like 4

8 hours ago, cobber32 said:

This is a serious question. I am not religious at all, and I wonder how other people, Catholic or not, feel about this visit. 

I would really like to know.

I am a recovering Catholic. I hate Christianity and actually think the “god” of all three Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity, and Islam) is a bloodthirsty demon responsible for untold human suffering for over two thousand years.  
So, FUCK THE POPE and his bullshit middle eastern religion. I hope the Thais are sensible and ignore the bastard and his noxious death cult. 

Ave Lucifer! Long live the horned gods!  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, cobber32 said:

I am not religious at all

Same same. Atheist forever.  

45 minutes ago, strocube said:

I hope the Thais are sensible and ignore the bastard and his noxious death cult.  

Ave Lucifer! Long live the horned gods! 

Tell us how you really feel , strocube:biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I am not a left footer and was Christened C of E ( Church of England Protestant) and proud to have been so.

Like has been said the Pope visiting Thailand will.have no way near the attention of what he had in the Philippines imho.

On a side note an Irish Traveller once asked me in my local boozer to kiss his Rosemary beads, I politely declined his request instead of telling him to shove them.up his arse, (now there could be an idea for a  sexual stimulate :crazy:)

I dont care too much for Religion tbh but I dont want to.be told what I can or cant do, e.g. I cant eat a meat and potato pie on a friday? ...fookin do one :biggrin:

• Like 2

I must admit I felt a little uneasy

When she bent down to tie the laces of my shoe

48 minutes ago, duke007 said:

I am not a left footer and was Christened C of E

Interesting that that is the term used to describe C.o.I. (Anglican) members here in Ireland.   There is an impressive Anglican Church in my home town, but I only entered it for the first time 2 years ago, there was no reason for me to enter before as it is usually closed.  There was a historical event taking place, hence my presence.  It was moving to see the actual alter where two of my gt gt grandparents married back in the 1870s.  

Like Seven I’m am atheist forever these days,  but I do appreciate the historical and architectural heritage associated with religious buildings.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your comments. Being an older bloke, I've given up worrying what others think of me, but it's interesting to see I'm not the only one with these views I have of life; religion in particular. 

And duke, I'll duck into town and have a big mac for you, seeing it's Friday.:biggrin:.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I was brought up as a Catholic, but lapsed at 15. I remember reading James Joyce's 'A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man' as part of my GCE O-level English course, and it resonated with me as the Catholic Church terrified me with the fear of terrible eternal punishment for even sexual thoughts - which just about every teenager will have.

I have regarded myself more as a Catholic as I get older - insurance maybe?!  Actually I think the Church of England has a more progressive attitude to sexuality which I prefer, but having been baptised as Catholic I will stick with it.

Karl Marx is often said to have called religion 'the opiate of the masses'. Actually he said 'Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people'. I agree with that. Religion does give people who have not much else the strength to go on. It's not just Christianity or the monotheistic religions. Buddhism too gives  even the poorest/lowest status Thais the hope of a rebirth to a better life and ultimately achieving Nirvana.

The Catholic Church (and others) does have many problems, including child abuse. But religions also do good things, an example being the Catholic run Pattaya Orphanage for abandoned deaf children.

Pope Francis has said that is not for him to judge gay or transgender people, which is an advance for the Catholic Church who used to condemn any non- heterosexual or extra-marital sexuality.

My view is that God or whatever created life and the Universe also created diverse sexualities, and ladyboys, and if he/she/whatever is a loving and forgiving entity will accept whatever we are. 

And I do eat fish on a Friday!  It's cod and chips tonight!  Better than a Big Mac!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Quietguy said:

The Catholic Church (and others) does have many problems, including child abuse. But religions also do good things, an example being the Catholic run Pattaya Orphanage for abandoned deaf children.

Pope Francis has said that is not for him to judge gay or transgender people, which is an advance for the Catholic Church who used to condemn any non- heterosexual or extra-marital sexuality.

My view is that God or whatever created life and the Universe also created diverse sexualities, and ladyboys, and if he/she/whatever is a loving and forgiving entity will accept whatever we are. 

And I do eat fish on a Friday!  It's cod and chips tonight!  Better than a Big Mac!

Thanks Quietguy, and you have made some good points in your post. All is not bad about religion, and acceptance of differing opinions is important, I think.

And you are right - fish n chips is probably better than a big mac; but eating meat on a Friday is not something I do deliberately to piss anyone off - it's not something I really think about, and many times in the army we had no choice anyway.

Back to the topic: I wish the Pope a safe trip.

• Like 2

Abstinence on Friday was originally to remember that Christ was crucified on Good Friday. Giving up meat was a sacrifice when meat was more of a luxury. Perhaps less so these days. Fish often costs as much as meat if not more now.

Friday was traditionally the day for fish and chips in England, even for people who weren't particularly religious. As is a roast on Sunday.

I don't care too much about the Church hierarchy and wouldn't be interested in a Papal visit, but I know it is important for many Catholics.

• Like 2

I would just like to add that despite my views about Christianity and the other Abrahamic religions, I have no issues with people who follow and believe in those doctrines, as long as they leave me, and people with dissenting and heretical ideas alone. I know plenty of Christians, Jews, (don’t really know any Muslims) from various denominations, whom I like, trust and respect. 

• Like 3

I am not religious. But if it brings others comfort, and they don't fuck with me too much, I'm OK with that. I rarely find bumper stickers funny but two trips ago when I was leaving for Thailand I saw one in a parking lot that said "Gods don't kill people, people with gods kill people". A slight twist on a gun bumper sticker.

In 1983 I found myself in the airport in Belize the day after the Pope was in the country for a day. I had no idea of his trip in those prehistoric non internet days. The barn of an airport was a total circus. I'm managed to maneuver my way to be one of the first people on the plan (open seating). But the mass of humanity was no fun. 

• Like 1