Pdoggg

Rugby World Cup

Host country Japan defeated the Ruskies in the Rugby World Cup opener.

I'll be rooting for Ireland.  :FourLeafClover:   All Irishmen are eligible for the team including those from the North.   The final game is on November 2nd, which is after Brexit Day.

Wonder if a hard Brexit could have implications regarding the Irish team in the 6 Nations? 

• Like 1

If using Booking.com or Agoda please help support LBR and use our links.

Click Here For The Pattaya Hotel Guide and our Links

I shall be rooting for England of course, then fellow British boys Wales, and if they don't do it then it has to be New Zealand 

God Save the Queen :good:

Screenshot_20190920-190546_1.jpg

• Like 2

I must admit I felt a little uneasy

When she bent down to tie the laces of my shoe

New Zealand are most people’s favorites, and if not them it will likely be England or South Africa.  If Ireland make it out of the group stages they will face either New Zealand or South Africa in the quarter finals.  A tricky match either way and if they can navigate it successfully then who knows, but that’s a big, big “if”. 

Shit times for the matches here, breakfast time kick offs in most cases.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, bumblebee said:

.  If Ireland make it out of the group stages they will face either New Zealand or South Africa in the quarter finals.  

To win all the marbles Ireland will probably have to beat both SA and NZ and then whoever is hot on the other side in the finals, most likely England. So it probably doesn't matter if they finish first or second in their relatively weak group so IMO their coach should make liberal use of the reserves in the group stage to minimize the risk of injuries to their best players.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

. So it probably doesn't matter if they finish first or second in their relatively weak group so IMO their coach should make liberal use of the reserves in the group stage to minimize the risk of injuries to their best players.

I’d guess that’s  what he may well do.  Use the big guns in the Scotland match tomorrow, then give the rest of the squad an outing in the following matches.

12 minute highlight video of the All Blacks vs South Africa.

Below is the entire game.

It's not easy to grab a a highlight or game video without finding out the result of the match.  If their are any games you are interested in, but a worried about finding out the result, just let me know and I'll post them.

• Like 2

• Like 1

For those in Great Britain :biggrin:

• Like 1

Fantastic result

81 min: It's all over! Australia 25 Wales 29

TELEMMGLPICT000211330052_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqpVlberWd9EgFPZtcLiMQfyf2A9a6I9YchsjMeADBa08.jpeg

• Like 3

• Like 3

Following Scotland’s 61-0 bonus point win over Russia on Wednesday, the Pool A qualification picture has become somewhat clearer. But that’s not to say it doesn’t remain extremely complicated!

As things stand, Ireland, Japan and Scotland can all still make it to the quarter-finals, in either first or second place, but the tournament hosts currently occupy the driving seat after three wins from three.

Japan have 14 points, Ireland are second on 11 while Scotland are in third on 10 points. Ireland meet Samoa on Saturday before Japan take on Scotland (weather-permitting) on Sunday.

If Ireland win with a bonus point

A bonus-point win for Ireland would guarantee them a place in the last eight, regardless of how Sunday’s match goes.

If Ireland win without a bonus point

A failure to get all five points leaves Ireland’s fate in the lap of the gods. Should they only reach 15 points, then it depends on how Japan get on against Scotland.

A win for Japan would see them top the group, with Ireland second. However, should Scotland win, it has the potential to get very messy indeed.

A win for Scotland with a bonus point would see Ireland top the group with Scotland in second. However, if Japan manage to pick up a losing bonus point, then all three teams finish on 15 points. In that scenario, Scotland would almost certainly have the best points difference (the Scots currently are +71, with Ireland on +52 and Japan on +46) and go through as pool winners.

image.png
The current Pool A table.

But as points difference is only used to determine top spot when three teams are level, Japan would take second place as head-to-head is used to decide second and third.

Still with us? Good. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that Japan could pick up two losing bonus points (one losing bonus, one for four tries), finishing on 16 points, leaving Ireland and Scotland tied for second on 15 points. In that case, Ireland would progress on the head-to-head record against Scotland.

• Like 1

The way Ireland have been playing hot and cold there is a feeling of inevitability about it all here now.  They have never advanced beyond the quarter finals ever, and with it now looking like it will be versus the All Blacks or if not then  South Africa, they will have to be on the top of their game, something they haven’t shown since 2018 to stand any chance of moving on.

England's game with France has been cancelled due to the threat of the Hurricane so it looks like they will be playing Australia in the Quarter-Final knock out stage.

The Scots are quite rightly kicking off if their game gets cancelled because it would mean them heading back home without the chance of progressing in the tournament. 

The Italians have already flown home (due to their game being cancelled)) which is a crying shame as it means their talisman and iconic Captain Sergio Parisse now misses playing his final International game against the All Blacks which would have been very fiitting.

20191010_192845.png

• Like 3

I dont follow rugby at all but I have to say this situation is an outrage.  How the hell do you NOT play games in a supposed esteem competition such as this?  I mean i know the rugby powers would like to spread world interest in the game so awarding the World Cup to Japan makes sense.  BUT it is the height of typhoon season.  They HAD to think of contingencies!  teams that have a chance of qualifying for the next round dont have that chance due to games being canceled???  you have to be kidding me!!!

rugby is such a physical game doesnt this give a big advantage to the teams that advance yet DO NOT have to play the extra pool game??  Couldnt they have had a plan in place where they move the games at the last minute?  I know it would be extremely tough but still.....

These guys make FIFA/UEFA look competent!!!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, ArchieBunker said:

this situation is an outrage.  How the hell do you NOT play games in a supposed esteem competition such as this?

Agree 100%.

Move the games anywhere. Doesn't even have to be a real stadium with fans.

Quite correct Archie and PD- my question would be if the Typhoon was to hit during the quarter finals, or semi finals, what would they do then? I guarantee they would find an alternative venue/date for the games.

• Like 2

THE QUARTERFINALS (ELITE 8)

SATURDAY 19 OCTOBER
SATURDAY19OCTOBER
14:15 YOUR TIME
16:15 JAPAN TIME
============================================

SATURDAY19OCTOBER
17:15 YOUR TIME
19:15 JAPAN TIME

===================================================================
SUNDAY 20 OCTOBER
SUNDAY20OCTOBER
14:15 YOUR TIME
16:15 JAPAN TIME
====================================

SUNDAY20OCTOBER
17:15 YOUR TIME
19:15 JAPAN TIME
  • Like 1