Plastic Bags

Pdoggg

On 9/11/2019 at 6:30 AM, Pdoggg said:

Major retailers in Thailand such as 7/11 will discontinue handing out plastic bags by the end of the year.  Supposedly Mom and Pops will stop before 2021. 

Villa Markets in Thailand, as well as the grocery store in SM Mall in Angeles City, have been using pseudo plastic bags for years. I have no idea how effective they are at breaking down but do feel a bit different than regular plastic bags.

Bag.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Convenience store chain “7-11” will stop giving plastic bags to shoppers at 137 pilot branches starting November 25, before implementing the plastic bag policy nationwide on January 1, 2020.

The use of plastic bags is still allowed for some products, including hot foods, wet foods, meats and fruit.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30378637

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

Convenience store chain “7-11” will stop giving plastic bags to shoppers at 137 pilot branches starting November 25, before implementing the plastic bag policy nationwide on January 1, 2020.

The use of plastic bags is still allowed for some products, including hot foods, wet foods, meats and fruit.

So, when buying something on the way home we're supposed to have remembered to take a bag out with us when we went out.

Geez.  The world is turning to shit, no thanks to Greta Thunburg.

Family Mart might do well, until they cave, too.

5 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

Since I buy 12 packs of water at 7-11 will be interesting to see how it goes with water. Villa Market has a sign at the checkout counters saying no more plastic bags and sells cloth bags for 20 baht. However they are still putting my groceries in plastic bags every time (albeit their somewhat biodegradable bags).  

I often do take a plastic bag with me to Villa or Friendship. Their packing of groceries often leaves me with one heavy bag for the walk home or just a overly packed bag. I balance the weight/volume, etc. 7-11 likes to put three bottles of Sprite in a small bag with a half loaf of bread. Grocery packing leaves a bit to be desired in Pattaya.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dixon cox said:

So, when buying something on the way home we're supposed to have remembered to take a bag out with us when we went out.

Geez.  The world is turning to shit, no thanks to Greta Thunburg.

In the UK plastic bag use has been drastically reduced by introducing a 5p (2 baht) charge for plastic bags from big retailers. People do now take reusable bags out with them.

The average Thai uses 8 plastic bags every day, and Western countries send their plastic waste to Thailand and other SE Asian countries.

Thailand has it's own Greta:

Screenshot 2019-11-23 at 14.38.16.png

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Quietguy said:

The average Thai uses 8 plastic bags every day ..

Thailand just copies what the 1st world does and then thinks it is cutting edge. It is extremely uninnovative. Besides being the biggest whorehouse in the world Thailand has brought little else of note to mankind. Off the top of my head I am unable to think of anything else. The beauty their country possesses was a natural gift, they didn't create it, they're just gradually ruining it. Their education, both within schools and throughout the general populus, leaves a lot to be desired. The country functions with a mental age which struggles to operate above that of a 12 year old. The government prefers to keep it that way so people don't ask questions.

I'm not suggesting conservation of the planet is a bad idea, not at all, but what irritates me is Thailand 's habit of imposing arbitrary laws without taking into account any unintended consequences or providing alternatives or real reasons why. Nobody is able to question the puppeteers who pull all the strings. Their priorities are all to shit, often due to nefarious alterior motives and posing on the world stage pretending to be something far bigger than they actually are.

Losing the ability to walk into a convenience store and purchase half a dozen items and then not be able to carry them home without bringing your own or buying a full blown shopping bag is poorly thought out and lacks preparation. The prospect of working on a biodegradable alternative to plastic prior to imposing the law probably never crossed their minds. Why not ensure all bags are biodegradable? .. No, just ban plastic bags altogether while they wait for someone in the West to come up with an alternative so they can copy it. 

Jaded? .. Probably. Thailand's ineptitude grinds after a while. 

• Like 4

As most of you know, I work in the packaging industry, and believe me this whole thing goes way beyond plastic bags. The thing is, plastic bags were phased out because they were an easy target for the major retail companies bowing to pressure from conservationists, and trying to prove to the world they are an eco friendly business. Roughly translated what that means is they use this as a marketing tool, which is positive advertising, totally free, and they then have an excuse not to give out plastic bags for free, which of course they pay for initially.

So here's the crux of the matter = there is more plastic waste generated by the little plastic trays you will find most items on in a supermarket, i.e meats, fish, chicken, mushrooms veg and fruit. Add to this the thin plastic cover (totally non biodegradable) and it amounts to a serious amount of plastic waste. Of course they can't sell these items without this packaging, so my company and others were tasked some time ago to come up with an alternative. This request is being demanded by some of the worlds largest and most profitable companies (Wallmart, GSK, M&S), all the while they are reassuring their customers how they are working with their suppliers to make the packaging fully recyclable therefore environmentally friendly. Now we have spent a vast some of money over the past two years designing, creating and producing innovative alternatives which tick all the boxes, all at our own expense. But what people don't here about, is that each alternative we have proposed to these companies is shot down as it is more expensive than current packaging. So they are only environmentally friendly when it doesn't hurt the pocket, despite what the bastards try to tell the world!!!!

Rant over for now!!!:aggressive:

• Like 3

Good post , ciobha.  We don't go after the real crooks, that cost would be too high, its easier to shame individuals.

'Flight Shame' Is the New Travel Trend Making People Quit Flying

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/j5yjmd/flight-shame-is-the-new-travel-trend-making-people-quit-flying?utm_source=dmfb&fbclid=IwAR3Dy_VfVNZcxZ3rkk4pxk8p3WqfZhOLrijl1BXTPzSTaGCob4D9O0KVFV4

• Like 1

The thing I notice in LOS, compared to home, is the amount of Styrofoam boxes used.

6 hours ago, seven said:

'Flight Shame' Is the New Travel Trend Making People Quit Flying

The newer more efficient planes like the  Boeing 787 get ~100 passenger/seat miles per gallon. Much more fuel would be used if one could drive. But one can't drive and a 8395 mile drive would suck if one could drive. So without burning jet fuel I certainly wouldn't be in SE Asia. 

I went to Family Mart next to The Hideaway yesterday and there was a printed out sign on the counter about plastic bags, I can't remember exactly what it said now, but they gave me one to carry my items home in. After Sunday dinner today I went to 7-11 on the corner of Soi 15 and Buakhao and there was no signage relating to plastic bags that I could see. I guess you have to read the news to know what they're up to.

Besides what was in tins and some M150s, everything else was wrapped in plastic or in plastic bottles. At least they double-bagged me. So in most cases plastic was triple layered. I use my plastic bags for bin liners, even though bin liners get supplied if I need them. My plastic bags are not single use. I do my bit for Greta.

1 hour ago, dixon cox said:

I use my plastic bags for bin liners,

That's why I always ask for a bag.   Mine are not supplied.

At 7/11, I usually don't need a bag as I'm often carrying just one item.  But it would be a pain if Friendship stopped supplying them.

Panda Marts in Phnom Penh charge 10 cents for a bag while the other mini-marts don't.

At home I usually have a backpack with me when out and about, with folded carrier bags in the pocket. I don't think I've needed a new plastic carrier bag for years. I'm glad there are less plastic bags blowing about in the streets here, or caught up in the trees now.

Same when I'm in los. I usually carry a small backpack and put anything I buy from 7/11 or anywhere else in it. The 7/11's try to put anything however small in a plastic bag if you let them.

Starting January 1st, tourists visiting national parks in Thailand will be required to carry their own plastic bags to contain the garbage they generate and take it out of the parks when they leave. The measure is part of the new approach to conserve the environment and to protect wild animals from ingesting plastic, which can be fatal.

The latest victim was a wild deer, which was found dead last Thursday in Khun Sathan national park in Na Noi district of the northern province of Nan.  An autopsy found its stomach contained about seven kilogrammes of trash, mostly plastic, which included single-use plastic bags, male underwear, plastic rope, rubber gloves, coffee sachets and instant noodle bags.

3 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

Starting January 1st, tourists visiting national parks in Thailand will be required to carry their own plastic bags to contain the garbage they generate and take it out of the parks when they leave

Well at least the Chinese will have some place to take a shit.

oh my-my.

Have only seen this topic recently, and all the nightmares are coming back. And please guys help me out here and never talk about plastic bags and Baked Beans in the same sentence. Er...like i have just done..

I should say here that i'm now of the Quietguy and backpack school of thought [however much it pains me to agree with him....]

I guess that you all all wondering by now what on earth i'm talking about? maybe you're thinking that Ol' Blind boy is having some sort of Acid flashback to '68? You know what i mean... Purple Haze in the brain and all that? Fear ye not... in time all will come clear....  anyway, you've got to have a brain to have flashbacks!

'Twas but a month or so ago when Ol' Blind Boy went to the store to buy a couple of tins of Baked Beans.  Italian ones from Foodmart are by far the best other than Heinz of course [just a useful bit of info there!] and also the cheapest.

So, off on my trusty bicycle [Mo the grod] to foodmart i went.
 Oh dear...i'm not explaining very well am i? 'Mo the grod' is the name of my trusty steed. If you're reading this Duke... The bike isn't named after your friend Mona... but after a certain Egyptian footballer... 'grod' being slang for a bicycle at the school i went to all those years ago in those pre Purple Haze days..

oh what am i doing? i'm rambling that's what. So to cut what should be a short story even shorter.

There i was riding back along beach Road burning rubber with a plastic bag and 2 tins of beans dangling from the handlebars. When suddenly the back wheel went straight up in the air and i went flying over the said handlebars leaving Mo in the middle of the road. Looking a bit forlorn but possibly not as embarrassed as i was.
I just couldn't work out what had happened..at first i thought i'd been hit by a car...but no, the back wheel was fine. I got back on the bike and rode home, sort of noticing that the front wheel was a little wobbly to say the least.

Parking the bike i went to the condo and thought...mmmm...maybe a little lie down is in order. Which i duly proceeded to have. Waking up a couple of hours later i noticed [could hardly miss it really] that the bed was covered in blood, from a hell of a graze below the knee...  didn't even know i'd done it... no pain whatsoever.
Eventually after sorting that out and picking half of beach road from the leg with tweezers i checked the plastic bag to find two tins of crushed baked beans... very crushed. Went down to check the bike and found a front wheel with 3 spokes ripped out of the rim. It seems that  the dangling bag had decided to wrap itself between the front fork and the wheel. 

But here's the great thing! for 60 years i've had  a blue knee... i.e half of a Yorkshire road embedded in the knee below the skin... [that was 2 weeks off school... great!] But as the scab has finally dropped off from the latest disaster i can see that the northern grit has been ripped out as a result of the recent scrape. I have a proper coloured knee again!
how can one man be so lucky?...

so... every story should have a moral... and this could be...... [you decide]
1.always listen to Uncle Quietguy...
2. don't eat baked Beans...
3. don't be a stupid 70 year old riding a bicycle..... whilst carrying a plastic bag.

:sad0116:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, blind boy grunt said:

Italian ones from Foodmart are by far the best other than Heinz of course [just a useful bit of info there!]

For processed beans full of salt, preservatives, colouring agents etc etc you may be correct.

However, the tastiest baked beans are the ones shown in this YouTube clip by a dude called Drover's Dog who just so happens to have an avatar extremely similar to mine!!

• Like 1