They Put a Man on the Moon...

50 years ago today Neil Armstrong stepped foot on the moon, an amazing feat for mankind and arguably one of the most important events in human history.  Think about it, a man set foot an another celestial body in our solar system, galaxy, universe, take your pick.

I was almost 4 and a half at the time and I remember my father calling me into the living room and telling me to watch this and emphasized how important it was.  It might well have been  the news I was looking at on 21 July, the live coverage was around 4 am here in Ireland so I am not sure if he would have woken us up to look at it, but I like to believe he did.  

I had always been told as a kid that the moon was made of cheese, and I was wondering if the man climbing out of the rocket was going to eat the moon.  Significantly is the earliest memory in my life that I can actually date with certainty, and to think, so many unknown adventures in life lay ahead for that 4 year old boy.  

50 years is a huge chunk of time in any life,  so many memories to ponder tonight over a few beers.  The old man passed away last year, I’ll have a beer in his honour for having the foresight to ensure I witnessed this momentous event.  

So how many of you gents in the 55 plus age bracket recall what you were doing that wonderful day all those years ago?

• Like 2

I was a 9-year-old boy who was totally captivated by the entire spectacle. I remember being glued to the tv for the duration. Hell, I even had my bedroom decorated with all kinds of Apolo and NASA stuff. I also had one of those special space pens that writes upside down. Lol.

As the years have passed, and I have looked again at the whole thing, I have some serious doubts that they ever actually went. The only thing that keeps me from thinking that it was not faked is that the Russians have never called them out. Or, perhaps the Ruskies are in on the scam. I remain agnostic. But it would not surprise me in the least to find out it was faked. 

Here in Australia the moon walk was around lunchtime and as a 13 year old schoolboy I watch in a classroom packed in like pimply sardines as only a few TVs for the whole school.

As I remember most all of us had model rockets, orbiters and landers and becoming an astronaut was all we wanted to be when we were grown up.

• Upvote 1

I was 18 and had just finished at secondary school. I stayed up to watch the moon landing on our small black & white tv. I thought it was wonderful, though I did have some doubts about the expenditure involved when there were so many problems in our world that needed fixing.

But I do think Mankind does need to expand our knowledge of this solar system and beyond.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Quietguy said:

But I do think Mankind does need to expand our knowledge of this solar system and beyond.

I have become really fascinated in all things outer space in the past number of years.  It really is a pity that we won’t be around in the centuries and millennia to come to see further advances in human space exploration.  Just this one photo alone from Hubble is quite mind blowing as far as I’m concerned.

Think for a few moments what this represents and that it’s only one tiny fraction of the visible universe.  

6FA25BD9-A0DF-44D8-B8E6-30C197C19409.jpeg

• Like 1

Yes the vastness of the Universe is unimaginable to our minds, and it is unlikely that we are the only intelligent life.

I watched 'First Man' last night. It's a biopic about Neil Armstrong. It was a reminder that the moon landing was achieved at a time before microprocessors and the powerful computers available today. Astronauts then were turning handles, pulling levers and making calculations with notepads and pencils.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Quietguy said:

Yes the vastness of the Universe is unimaginable to our minds, and it is unlikely that we are the only intelligent life.

Absolutely, and even within our own solar system the distances are quite staggering.  Another photo I particularly like was taken by Cassini as it passed Saturn, of the Earth and how small it is in the sheer vastness of space.

CD193152-2725-4940-B60B-336E776FCE75.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 7/25/2019 at 12:48 PM, Quietguy said:

If the universe is infinite then it is a 100% certainty that there is other intelligent life.

The observable universe is 93 billion light years in diameter. I reckon there is a 99.99% chance that there is other intelligent life in the observable universe.

Wonder how these beings on other planets can get to heaven if Jesus or Mohammed didn't preach on their planet?

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

Wonder how these beings on other planets can get to heaven if Jesus or Mohammed didn't preach on their planet?

And that in a nutshell illustrates the delusion of the religious mind.  The arrogance of any particular religion to believe that a 93 billion light year wide universe was created just for their cult on a tiny speck in a particular galaxy says it all.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
On 7/27/2019 at 8:53 PM, bumblebee said:

And that in a nutshell illustrates the delusion of the religious mind.  The arrogance of any particular religion to believe that a 93 billion light year wide universe was created just for their cult on a tiny speck in a particular galaxy says it all.

But the very existence of the universe originating around 13.8 billion years ago in the 'Big Bang' must suggest some sort of 'creator'.

If 'God' didn't exist people would have to invent him/her/ladygod to explain the creation. Prophets or founders of different religions are going to find their own definitions of the creator.

I think the explanations would be relevant to the different cultures from which they came, hence Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism and all the other religions. 

If intelligent life exists elsewhere I would think they would have some sort of belief as to how the Universe came into being too.

• Like 2