Dynsey Boutique Hotel Phnom Penh

Pdoggg

The Dynsey Boutique Hotel on Street 172 is the LBR hotel choice for the budget traveller.  Rooms are about 20 USD per night in low season.  Street 172 is a great location with lots of restaurants and an easy walk to both the Street 136 and Street 51 bar areas.  Rooms have laptop sized safes and there is a lift.

Some pics and booking info is on our sister site:

Dynsey Boutique Hotel

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Looks like an interesting place. I am considering PP as my next holiday destination over Pattaya, or at least as a side trip. Lots of vloggers on YouTube extolling the virtues of street 136 et al and from what i can see from the clips there are many LBs about. 

If I like the place then I might consider another bash at retiring here, especially when you consider the visa and cost of living situation with Thailand isn't winning it many friends as of late. I truly think that the 'smart money' is moving away from Thailand and relocating elsewhere and this looks to be either Cambodia or Vietnam. Still, their gain and a LoS loss :biggrin:.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2019 at 10:54 AM, Pdoggg said:

The Dynsey Boutique Hotel on Street 172 is the LBR hotel choice for the budget traveller.  Rooms are about 20 USD per night in low season.  Street 172 is a great location with lots of restaurants and an easy walk to both the Street 136 and Street 51 bar areas.  Rooms have laptop sized safes and there is a lift.

Some pics and booking info is on our sister site:

Dynsey Boutique Hotel

Have you checked it out PD??  Does it get your mongers seal of approval??  Is that the same street The Sundance is on??  I liked that place.  Might need it for Oct if I dont get my visa extension!!!

• Like 1

Whenever I think of Street 172 I always think of the 4-cheese lasagna at La Dolce Vita. It's the blue cheese that does it - Bloody delicious!

1 hour ago, ArchieBunker said:

Is that the same street The Sundance is on??  I liked that place.

Yes.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2019 at 7:53 PM, dixon cox said:

Whenever I think of Street 172 I always think of the 4-cheese lasagna at La Dolce Vita. It's the blue cheese that does it - Bloody delicious!

That place got a mention on one of those vlogs - except that the guy recommends the Cordon Bleu chicken (3usd). Either way - worth a look-in.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2019 at 1:53 AM, dixon cox said:

La Dolce Vita is directly across the street from Dynsey.   The location is excellent as you have a good selection of cheap restaurants within a 1 minute walk and it is a quick walk or 3000 riel (75 cents) Rickshaw ride to either bar area using the Pass Taxi App.   I strongly recommend the Pass Taxi App as it is much cheaper than whatever you could negotiate with a driver. For example a trip to the airport is about 4 bucks, much cheaper than what most drivers will quote..  You can also use Grab but I am happy with Pass App. 

Arch, you were not technically staying at Sundance but in one of their apartments right next door which can't be booked on their website.  Your apartment is much different than the typical Sundance room. Sundance has a very small pool but despite my love of pools I hardly used it in the three months I stayed there as the outside stairs are extremely steep and also slippery when wet with dripping feet and the inside stairs, also steep, forces you to walk through the bar to the pool.    The pool is way too small to swim laps.   At night there are often guys around the pool smoking pot.  Note, you don't have to stay at Sundance to use the pool, you can just order food or drink and sit by the pool.  It is actually easier to get to the pool if you are staying at Dynsey than if staying at Sundance. Just take the lift at Dynsey to the ground floor and walk a about 10 yards to Sundance.

DC, La Dolce Vita is tasty for sure.

If the trailer interests you, below is the entire  Fellini film.  Although most of it is in Italian, and there are no subtitles, you will probably get the gist of the movie even if you you don't know much Italian beyond Spaghetti, Macaroni, Ciao Bella as a ladyboy I knew from Sulawesi was fond of saying at Italian restaurants.

• 2 months later...
On 7/28/2019 at 3:28 PM, duke007 said:

I have had my eye on The Golden House International Hotel for next year but the Dynsey doesn't look a bad option B)

The Golden House is what I used to recommend.   It's right in the heart of Ladyboy Central.  Rooms were quite nice but haven't been in one for 6 or 7 years.  Front rooms might be noisy until the wee hours. More expensive than Dynsey though.

One advantage of the Dynsey is that it's not in Ladyboy Central but an easy walk or 3000 riel (75 cents) away using the PassApp rickshaw.

At the Dynsey I stayed in a deluxe king which suited my needs but many of you would prefer the slightly larger Junior Suite.   The advantages of the Junior Suite are:

1) The bathroom of the back rooms such as the Deluxe King are extremely narrow because of space limitations due to the physical layout of the building.  

2) The Junior Suite has a balcony which is especially useful if you are a smoker.

3) The Deluxe King was extremely dark which is OK with me but some guys would prefer the cheerier Junior Suite which has much more natural light.

• Like 2

Bangkok112's recent video includes the Dynsey Boutique Hotel and surrounds, including La Dolce Vita.

I spent many, many months in Phnom Penh between 6 and 8 years ago and looking at this video the city has changed considerably with all the construction.

I think they call it 'progress'.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, dixon cox said:

Bangkok112's recent video includes the Dynsey Boutique Hotel and surrounds, including La Dolce Vita.

I spent many, many months in Phnom Penh between 6 and 8 years ago and looking at this video the city has changed considerably with all the construction.

Nice find DC!  :biggrin:

Yes, lots of big buildings and more traffic now.   But change isn't always bad.   PassApp, which is similar to Grab, makes getting around town cheaper without having to haggle with tuk tuk drivers.  A huge improvement compared to just a few years ago.  From the Dynsey to Street 136 is just 75 cents.  To the airport usually slightly less than 4 bucks.  The smaller vehicles which PassApp calls rickshaws are actually better to the old style tuk tuks but only fit 2 barangs.   It's much easier to get in and out of especially on a rainy day when the steps on the old style tuk tuks are slippery.

It is a rare day when I don't go to Street 172 at least once.  But I've never been to a hostess bar there. I don't shit where I eat.   The video is a very accurate depiction of the street.   Big Easy is a very successful new business.   The owners know exactly what backpackers want so the place is usually packed because it has the backpacker vibe.  They have a Quiz Night on Thursdays.   Red Fox II has a quiz on Tuesdays.  Only quiz night I've been to where guys are smoking weed. 

• Like 3