Return Ticket Requirement

Pdoggg

I was looking at the JC International Airlines website researching flights from Phnom Penh to Thailand and this popped up.

Publish Time:2019-05-31
Dear Valued Passengers:
Recently, passengers that plan to travel to Thailand were rejected to boarding or returned back to Cambodia, because of booking only one-way ticket to Thailand without showing return ticket or ticket travel to third country. In order to ensure the smooth travel of all passengers, we would like to remind all the passengers travel from Phnom Penh – Bangkok and Sihanouk Ville - Bangkok, passengers need to show the return ticket or ticket travel to third country during checking in, otherwise passengers will be forcibly returned by the Thai immigration.

https://www.jcairlines.com/

Thoughts?

• Like 1

That has been a long standing requirement, but not always enforced by the immigration officials. I always carry proof of a onwards flight, but I have never been asked to produce it. I wonder if enforcement has targeted certain countries.

• Like 1

I have found that as long as you have some sort of visa for Thailand then there has never been a problem.  A few times over the years the check in in my home country have wanted to see that I had a visa, and once I showed it then everything was good.  On my last trip the Irish guy working for Etihad in Dublin airport saw that my visa was only for 60 days but my return flight was for 84 days.  When he queried it I just told him I could extend it for another 30 days when on the ground in Thailand and he was happy enough with my explanation.  

Basically the airlines are worried that you won’t be allowed into Thailand and the onus then would then be on them to get you back home.  

In April last year I flew out of Australia with one way ticket to Singapore with no onward travel documentation other than a visa for Vietnam which commenced on 28th May. I was not asked for anything when boarding in Sydney or on landing. I then caught a bus to Kuala Lumpur and the Malaysian authorities did not ask for any proof of onward travel. Same when I flew into Phuket  then Siam Reap.

I think it is possible that as an Australian in his 60's that they saw it unlikely I would try to overstay the tourist visas issued at airports.

I will keep in mind the info about flying from Cambodia to Bangkok and wonder if it is only JC International with that rule.

• Like 1

I have been coming here for almost 20 years and I have NEVER, EVER even had a return ticket!!!  I also have never been asked to produce one.  You see since I work in the airline industry all I do is buy a very cheap standby ticket out of Thailand in order to pick up a flight on my own airline back to Farangland.  I really never know exactly when i will be leaving and usually get the ticket about a week before depending how the onward flight look for a standby upgrade to first.  As a result I NEVER arrive with a return ticket and have never been asked.  

Also all those trips into thailand I have NEVER, EVER been stopped at customs coming into Thailand.  Coming into the US of A is a bit of a different story.  Years ago there was a period when i got not really stopped but given a little extra questioning but even that hasnt happened for years........

• Like 1