Mandatory Insurance for Retirees in Thailand

duke007

It seems like a major league hassle to buy insurance that will only cover up to 400,000 baht and it would just be easier to self insure and not have to deal with an insurance company.

Also interesting is if the consider Medicare valid foreign insurance.  It is foreign insurance but it can't be used in Thailand.

Yep LOS is becoming excessively more restrictive every year. To be honest though I consider insurance an absolute must, there are so many tales of woe about people who thought they could save on insurance and got into some major hassle. I would not dream of leaving home without adequate insurance. We have to submit all other kinds of bureaucratic info when we apply for a visa, so I don't really consider proof of valid insurance any big deal. Anyway that is only my opinion. :movethatass::girl_devil::drinks:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can understand why they would want to introduce this with all the elderly retirees in Thailand, many with inevitably declining health.

But what happens to those who can't afford health insurance when they next go to renew visa. Will it be renewed and will they be made to leave?  

• Like 1

I really don't know what the result of that would be, but consider that a Thai national applying for a Schengen visa must provide documentation of health and accident insurance of minimum €30000, otherwise no visa. Consider also this is for a stay of max 90 days.:movethatass::girl_devil: 

On 5/19/2019 at 7:59 PM, redrockrevival said:

Wow! Thailand seems like a super fucking pain in the ass place to retire to these days. Philippines looks a better possibility. Or Cambodia. I suppose Malaysia is a possibility. I need to do some research on this. 

Thai baht just keeps getting more expensive, the phills could be a good alternative but I don't know about visa regulations for long stay. Disadvantage with the phils is it is not so easy to get around, simply not geared to tourism, and there is a helluva lot of hype and guns. If the Thai authorities were just a wee bit innovativ,  they would add the price of insurance to the visa, but we must not expect too much.:drinks::girl_devil::movethatass:

I've never had a problem getting around Philippines, there are cheap flights internally with respectable airlines (Air Asia, Philippine Airlines, Cebu Pacific) and the buses, local and provincial are regular and cheap. The main problem is in places like Angeles where the trike mafia have inflated prices, however, there is also Grab (Uber equivalent) who are mostly cheaper than the trike there.

I'll be back in Phils tomorrow and report if any problems getting around.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sydneyjohn57 said:

I've never had a problem getting around Philippines, there are cheap flights internally with respectable airlines (Air Asia, Philippine Airlines, Cebu Pacific) and the buses, local and provincial are regular and cheap. The main problem is in places like Angeles where the trike mafia have inflated prices, however, there is also Grab (Uber equivalent) who are mostly cheaper than the trike there.

I'll be back in Phils tomorrow and report if any problems getting around.

True about flights, but you need winter woolies if flying with Cebu Pacific, there is very little train transport and busses are dangerous. Many taxi drivers will not drive on the meter, I have experienced after leaving the airport in Manila the driver stopped the car and and told us to get out unless we would pay a fixed price. There is also all the hassle of getting money. Very few ATM in comparison to for example Thailand, and a max withdrawal of 10000 pesos. Last time I was there it cost 200 pesos ATM fee plus €4 at home. Quite a significant percent of my budget. In all fairness though, the Phills is a wonderful country with a lot that is positive, among other things their very friendly senior citizen policy, many other countries could learn from it. If anyone here has suggestion or knowledge of how to get a bank account I would appreciate some advice. have a good trip.:girl_devil::drinks:

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

After a little digging around I found this site, Mr Prakan, who came up with some very reasonable multiple quotes - a lot better than I had been led to believe (less than half for me in fact). As long as they meet the minimum requirement of 40k outpatient/400k inpatient then you should be good to go.

• Like 2