I've been reading about the Lyra killing but don't really understand the biases of the various media that I'm reading.

From what I read all the politicians are condemning her murder.  Is that the way most of the people feel or are guys in bars saying things that aren't reported in the press?   

If using Booking.com or Agoda please help support LBR and use our links.

Click Here For The Pattaya Hotel Guide and our Links

From what I can understand, she was reporting in Derry about disturbances which followed on from police raids on homes looking for weapons.  Unfortunately there has been a rise in dissident republican activity lately, fueled by Brexit for the most part.  (Basically they are opposed to a return of a hard border but there are other factors at play also). 

She felt relatively safe reporting from beside the police lines, the police were under attack from a mob using various missiles, when a gunman appeared and shot in the direction of the police and she was hit.  

There is little sympathy for these dissidents in the general public on both sides of the border, but sadly there are some die hards who will continue to use violent means to achieve their aims.  

• Like 2

Yep, what BB just said. These scumbags have no place in Irish society, and need to realise they don't have ANY political or public support anymore. They are just hard line thugs clutching on to a cause that is no longer viable, and has long since evolved.

• Like 1

For what it’s worth the song Zombie, which is surprisingly popular in Thailand, is about this mindset and how is hasn’t changed since the Easter Rising 1916, which is actually referenced in the lyrics.  The men who went out at that time would be ashamed that these scumbags are associating themselves with what they fought for.  

Basically they don’t recognise the Irish state as the legitimate government of Ireland (it’s a long story) and they want a United Ireland by violently removing the British presence in the North.  Like Ciobha says, times have moved on and their cause has no support among the general population throughout the island.