It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Songkran

Pdoggg

People are beginning to wear Songkran shirts and soon Thais will be playing water and lager louts will be acting out. Many sexpats just get  out Dodge but in the right place Sonkran can be lots of fun!

On Koh Lanta it's just one afternoon on the 13th.

In Lamai on Samui it's two days and nights on the 12th and 13th and the madness can be fun.

Bangkok the 13th, 14th, and 15th.

Pattaya a full 7 days from the 13th to the 19th and you could even get splashed a little on the 12th.  I don't see how this can be fun for entire week but up to you,

• Like 1

In Tesco Lotus in Phitsanulok, the staff have been wearing the floral shirts for over a week (hard to tell staff from customers). And as of tonight my house will be filling up as "family" start coming back for Songkran.

A time I dread every year. Roll along 17 April.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pdoggg said:

So is there is much unwanted water play in Phitsanlok or is it mostly just a family thing?

I'm living out of town in a small farming community. The local youngsters have done the usual splashing cars and motorbikes on the main road; but it's more of a family thing with us - quite an extended family live in the same general area. Can't remember the last time it rained here, but I'm sure water will be found somehow.

A few years ago I did the compulsory Songkran thing in Phitsanulok city - similar to Bangkok streets. Fun once, but over it now.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

Are you talking about prior years or is it happening already this year upcountry?

Sorry, I got past and present mixed there (must be age, or the dread of Songkran). Nothing happening yet, apart from the floral shirts which I'm sure are breeding - they're everywhere, including some that have just appeared in my other half's wardrobe. The splashing will probably start Saturday, but of course schools are on holiday, so Friday I won't be going out if I don't have to. 

On 4/10/2019 at 10:45 PM, Sustra4 said:

I forgot that there was songkran....will be there just in the middle of it.....

If i recall correctly you're staying at Katty's which is a good location in the madness of Songkran.  As for ladyboys, you have Katty's and it's just aminute's walk through an alleyway to get to the Roadhouse. 

If they're playing water outside of Katty's you can just wear a swimsuit and get wet.

Between the 13th and 19th any baht bus trip, day or night,  you might get doused so shorts and tshirts and don't plan on going to any aircon joints soaking wet.

Even though today is the 12th, I reckon Soi 6 and Soi 7 (in Pattaya) should have some splashing.   

On 4/12/2019 at 12:08 PM, Pdoggg said:

If i recall correctly you're staying at Katty's which is a good location in the madness of Songkran.  As for ladyboys, you have Katty's and it's just aminute's walk through an alleyway to get to the Roadhouse. 

If they're playing water outside of Katty's you can just wear a swimsuit and get wet.

Between the 13th and 19th any baht bus trip, day or night,  you might get doused so shorts and tshirts and don't plan on going to any aircon joints soaking wet.

Even though today is the 12th, I reckon Soi 6 and Soi 7 (in Pattaya) should have some splashing.   

I'll stay there in may....before I stay in BKK a few days ( have to meet some Thai friends colleagues ) and then to Siam reap or Chiang mai...not decided yet..if in may you will be in Pattaya/jomtien would like to drink a leo toghether

43 minutes ago, Sustra4 said:

I'll stay there in may....before I stay in BKK a few days ( have to meet some Thai friends colleagues ) and then to Siam reap or Chiang mai...not decided yet..if in may you will be in Pattaya/jomtien would like to drink a leo toghether

Hi Sustra, would enjoy a few Leos but I won't be in Thailand in May.   Have fun!

Well it's all over in Phitsanulok. Today at 12 noon there was no water being hosed, shot or thrown anywhere between the backblocks where I live, to the city centre. The traffic was pretty heavy though - people going back to work tomorrow I guess.I only went out to see off a mate to the bus station.

Yesterday there were a few pickups with 44 gallon drums in the back driving around, and lots of kids having "fun". I managed to miss it all, apart from the purely family things.

So glad not to be in Pattaya.

• Like 2