Batteries On Planes

Pdoggg

Certain type of batteries cannot even be taken on in the cabin.  An example of this are those bags that have chargers.  These types of batteries are capable of over heating and catching fire-not a nice thing to happen in the dry tinderbox of an airplanes cabin.  Even laptops have been know to over heat and catch fire-specific procedures for fighting these tyoes of fires and procedures for what to do with the devices in the aftermath......

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

The power plug for a laptop is considered a battery or not?

I am always at the top of my weight limit for both carry on and checked baggage. While I have never been questioned about carry on weight, I'd like to avoid a last minute hassle.

The power plug / AC charger for a laptop can't store power so it's not a battery. I usually always put my laptop charger in my carry on. My carry on has been searched several times with no problems. 

I had my carry on weighed once in Singapore by Cebu Pacific. Never AirAsia or BKK Air.

5 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

Did they weigh it at check in or at the gate? At check in not that big a deal as can rearrange but at the boarding gate phucked with no butter.

Usually they will weigh it at the gate - I have flown with Qatar Airways and Emirates - out of the Arabian Gulf and out of Thailand and have had my carry on weighed at check in. If you are wondering about the battery, you can ask the airline directly.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

Did they weigh it at check in or at the gate? At check in not that big a deal as can rearrange but at the boarding gate phucked with no butter.

Cebu Pacific checked the weight in SIN after check in. You had to go through a narrow area where they had scales set up. They did not weigh my laptop bag so I could put some extra stuff in there if necessary.

14 hours ago, rxpharm said:

Usually they will weigh it at the gate - I have flown with Qatar Airways and Emirates - out of the Arabian Gulf and out of Thailand and have had my carry on weighed at check in.

I never had to weigh my carry on for any other flight. Apparently the trans Pacific carriers aren't as interested in checking such things as the Middle East carriers.

• 3 weeks later...

Batteries have to be in carry on....most are Lithium Ion or similar and can be dangerous due to the vast amount of energy compacted into a small space...

In Europe products have to be drop tested 1 metre onto concrete floor without damage to the batteries to pass CE marking

I put all Electrical items in carry on

4 hours ago, KendoUK said:

I take my power bank in carry on,

When taking a power bank, the limitation for battery capacity with most airlines in Thailand is maximum of 20,000mah

I had a power bank took off me once by Thai customs when leaving Suvarnabhumi Airport.

It was a 50,000mah power bank and she told me the maximum I could have was a 30,000 one.