British Irish Dialect Quiz

Pdoggg

Do you call the common playground game tag, tig or it? Is that bit of bread on the table a roll, a bap or a bun? And do the words but and put rhyme when you say them out loud?

The answers to these questions and others like them divide the various regions of Ireland and Britain just as much as, say, the question of soda, pop or coke splits the United States.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/02/15/upshot/british-irish-dialect-quiz.html

My results:

Definitely not from around here are you? Your answers were closer to the average person outside of Ireland and Britain than anywhere inside it.
The map shows places where answers most closely match your own, based on more than 380,000 respondents who said they were from Ireland or Britain.

• Like 1

FWIW There was a similar quiz we did on this site a few years ago for the US. Then I had spent about 20 years in Kentucky and 20 in Colorado. The quiz would put me in Oklahoma about half the way between the two. But for someone who lived in the same area all their life it was very accurate.

Top of the morning to y'all

• Like 1
9 hours ago, xyzzy said:

As I have mentioned to PD once or twice over the years I have never, ever heard any Irish person say that unless it was in a piss take scenario and even then it would be rare.  We can blame Hollywood for that one for sure :) 

As an aside there is a village nearish  to where I live called Hollywood and there is even a sign as you enter it. (This is not photoshopped)

E3442EEE-1A35-4EE2-9251-09ADDEB3EEFC.jpeg

• Like 1
On 2/19/2019 at 1:32 PM, xyzzy said:

FWIW There was a similar quiz we did on this site a few years ago for the US. Then I had spent about 20 years in Kentucky and 20 in Colorado. The quiz would put me in Oklahoma about half the way between the two. But for someone who lived in the same area all their life it was very accurate.

Here is the original quiz. Just took it again and was spot on for me.  I am also very interested in non-American results.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/upshot/dialect-quiz-map.html