Toxic smog forces Bangkok to close hundreds of schools

bumblebee

Thai capital has been shrouded in murky haze for weeks, forcing residents to don masks and sparking criticism of government.

Toxic smog forced Bangkok authorities to issue an unprecedented order to shut nearly 450 schools on Wednesday as authorities struggled to manage a pollution crisis that has stirred widespread concern.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/30/toxic-smog-forces-bangkok-to-close-hundreds-of-schools?fbclid=IwAR2TSwTWTsLX2UNvBna4haPPCSHxfj2bBJ_lYJc9txCXP4RTR6Wb4KBCu8g

Seems about right for BKK, the air quality is total shite.

Growing up in LA in the 70s, I remember the exact same thing. The air was way worse than it is now. I have seen air quality actually improve once the 70s and 80s. It is orders of magnitude better than it was then. Catalytic converters and a host of environmental protections have actually worked. The air is still smoggy, but nothing like it used to be, which is a very good thing. 

I hope Thailand will eventually improve their air quality. If for no other reason than shit air is bad for business. 

• Like 1

Its really bad right now.  I see the dopes in charge have come up with some solutions to help alleviate the problem.  How about spray water in the air from a tanker truck at busy intersections for a couple of minutes-yeah that will work.  

Who the hell comes up with these nutty ideas and who thinks they are actual, good, solid ideas?  the mind boggles.  I see this type of shit and wonder why the dollar isnt over 40!!!  the ineptitude is remarkable!!!

• Like 1

I don't think the government has any viable extremely short term options. Long term,  things such as catalytic converters, assuming they're not currently in use, will mitigate the problem as Stro says. 

Arch, do you think Thailand needs a charismatic young ladyboy politico in a bulging daisy dukes promoting a Green New Deal? Atom O'Cock , or AOC for short. She only takes off her mask to suck dick. Just a girl from Khlong Toey!

Who was that masked ladyman? Hiso Silver! 

• Upvote 1

I know nothing about diesel. Do they use catalytic converters? Many diesel vehicles in Thailand.

The baht buses in Pattaya changing from diesel to CNG made a big difference. Natural gas would probably be the way to go. Thailand seems to embrace CNG more than a lot of other places.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, xyzzy said:

I know nothing about diesel. Do they use catalytic converters? Many diesel vehicles in Thailand.

In Europe they slapped a huge fine/tax on diesel vehicles since new year, after the VW emission scandal and studies on how really dangerous the diesel is and how bad it pollutes the air especially in cities. Some bigger European cities are banning older diesel vehicles completely.

• Like 1

Diesel is especially noxious. I live close to the Ports of Long Beach/LA. Unfortunately, the onshore prevailing winds blow all the fucking diesel exhaust from the trucks, tankers, and trains right over the city.  Gag. But, great strides have actually been made in mitigating much of the particulate matter from all those sources. Though, we still get a lovely black gritty dust accumulating in our homes, not to mention lungs. 

I have been thinking about where I will retire. Was considering Thailand, but it would have to be someplace much cleaner and cooler than BKK or Pattaya. Perhaps Chiang Mai or Chiang Raí, up in the mountains. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, seven said:

That'll help. You still smoke, sustra?

yes...still smoking those slim faggot's cigarettes...in BKK the only one i can find are called "Esse" from Korea...but when i go to Dubai duty free i usually stock 2 boxes of Winston blue slim

i cannot smoke anymore normal cigaretes...too strong for me

original1.2309874.2.jpg

• Like 1