BTS/MRT/Airport Rail Link

Pdoggg

Was up in Bangkok for a night. I've been on the BTS and Airport Link many times but this was my first time on the MRT.

It all went smooth going from Petchaburi to Sukhumvit but onthe return trip I waited about 10 minutes to buy a token from the machine Saturday about 18:30.

Can I buy tokens in advance on the MRT?

I tried buying in advance once on the BTS and I found out the next day it was only good for day I bought it.

I guess people who live there don't buy tokens all teh time but use some sort of pass?

I was talking to a farang 60+ and he has a senior discount card for the MRT and says you break even after just a few trips.

But he said farangs can't get a senior discount on the BTS. 

Never bother or have tried to buy MRT tokens in advance.  I dont usually travel on the MRT during peak times.  Off peak times, its a total joy!!  A Rabbit card for the BTS is a must.  The BTS has turned into a bit of a chore lately as its often crowded even at "off peak" times.  Its still better than getting stuck in traffic though!!!  Wish the BTS would add more car and or frequency.

• Like 1

The BTS are adding more rolling stock for when the line extension opens next month, it will still be 4 cars per train but should help with the frequency.

There is now a Mangmoon value card which can be used across MRT, Airport Rail Link and the buses. Annoyingly not the BTS because that is administered by a different company.

The MRT line is also being extended plus a load of other lines are currently under construction. The proposed map for the future looks something closer to the London Underground map with lines covering most of Bangkok. 

• Like 1

Just like in any big city, its the best and only way to get around.  I wouldnt fancy driving through London and I only drive through Manhatan at 400 or 500 in the morning.  I do sometimes when i have to schlepp to New Jersey to get an early flight.  Any other times, I avoid and go around the island of Manhattan.......

Hope they add more frequency to the BTS.  it would certainly help and it should translate into more usage which translates into more money!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...