Smoking

Pdoggg

Smokers heading outside the front of buildings in Thailand for a quick cigarette will soon be a thing of the past. New laws have been enacted that will shortly come into force.

New regulations have been issued by the Department of Public Health which will force smokers to stay well away from public buildings and public areas. The ban will include people smoking outside café and restaurants.

There will be a five metre perimeter exclusion zone from the entrances or exist of all public buildings.

This includes condos, rental buildings, pubs, hotels, religious buildings, karaoke establishments, restaurants, laundries, salons, cinemas, parking areas, spas, areas for Thai massage, clinics, hospitals, schools, swimming pools, fitness parks, clinics and ‘other places’, according to Thai Rath. The regulations also specify precisely where internal smoking areas in buildings may be located.

The new regulations will come into force in 90 days of this latest announcement.

Other regulations, coming in within 180 days, refer to permissible wording that can be used on cigarette packets. Language such as “low tar”, “classic”, “women” and “sexy” will not be allowed.

People flouting the new regulations will be fined 5,000 baht.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/no-more-smoking-in-public-in-thailand

Was fined once on Sukhumvit for smoking....threw a cigarette butt in a drain hole...since then always been careful...trying to quit by the end of the year....hope not to have problems anymore in BKK ( and with my wallet and health as well ) I spend almost $ 3.000 a year in this poisoning me

52 minutes ago, seven said:

They fine you for that? Or for littering?

I read once that they get you either way.  If it’s on the ground they get you for littering,  if they see it going into a drain hole they have you for blocking public drains.  It was a readers letter on Stickman at the time, replies said the cops follow farang smokers around the area waiting for them to drop the butt and then fine them.

• 2 years later...
5 hours ago, Fenton said:

£14 pounds for a cheap brand of cigarettes in the UK.

Marlboro not really a popular brand here, not seen a pack of marlboro lites for years, but then again the packets are all the same colour.

I wouldn't say it was that high Fenners, but then again I haven't smoked a 'fag' since 18th February 2018 :biggrin:

I was paying £6.50p per packet for Pall Mall Super Kings back then and it looks like the prices has risen quite steeply since. 

IMG_20210929_090416.jpg

IMG_20210929_090026.jpg

• Like 1