Value For Money Stores, Markets, Restaurants, Food Stalls

Pdoggg

On 3/28/2019 at 2:38 PM, xyzzy said:

A new Mr. DIY is about to open in The Avenue. It isn't open yet but the shelves are stocked. They have everything from computer mice to plumbing parts to personal items listed above. It's in the back of the ground floor across from the food court.

The Avenue is going through it umpteenth :biggrin: make over since I started coming here. They keep trying but nothing seems to stick. Perhaps a retailer like Mr. DIY will help?

Popped into Mr DIY at the Avenue today and bought 19 baht reading glasses.  A case would be more expensive than the glasses but you can buy 10 baht soft cases for 10 baht on the ground floor of TukCom.  There is also a Mr DIY at Royal Garden Mall and probably lots of other place. Batteries are dirt cheap.  You can buy 99 baht boots perhaps useful if living on Soi Pothole.  But don't know if it the sizes were UK or USA sizes. I'd rathe rthey use Euro sizes to avoid ambiguity.

Also the Coffee place had a two for one sale so got 2 bags of coffee. Had them grind one on the spot and will have them grind the second bag when I need it.  The saleslady has a barista certification certificate and seems quite knowledgeable about coffee.  She said if coffee was roasted over 6 months ago then they sell it 2 for 1.  I think maybe it matters more when the coffee is ground than when the beans were roasted.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Pdoggg said:

Popped into Mr DIY at the Avenue today and bought 19 baht reading glasses.  A case would be more expensive than the glasses but you can buy 10 baht soft cases for 10 baht on the ground floor of TukCom. 

Do they sell cheap Toasters?, preferably the one's that won't blow up after you turn them on B)

11 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

Popped into Mr DIY at the Avenue today and bought 19 baht reading glasses.

The benefits of being long-sighted.

I'm short-sighted and my last pair of bi-focals cost B12,000 from Euro Optic on 2nd Road, opposite Royal Garden Plaza, believe it or not. My previous pair of single-focals from there were B8,000. The work and service there is very good, although it's not cheap and probably cheaper to get from your own country.

I used to have 4 glazed pottery-style ashtrays at home, the type you often see in the bars. I have a habit of falling asleep on the sofa and depending whether the cat is hogging one end of it, or not, my feet may dangle over the arm rest at the other end in close proximity to the side table where my over-flowing ashtray resides. Yes, Mr Clumsy has gone through all 4 of his glazed pot ashtrays being woken startled as each in turn has crashed to the ground when playing footsie in my sleep. In steps Mr DIY who have a set of metal plates in varying sizes, one of which is 10cm in diameter and costs 9 Baht. A perfect little ashtray, unbreakable, although one has a slight dent in it now. I bought four. Two still sit on the shelf under my sink, unused.

Mr DIY stores are very useful to have around. I've bought lots of odds and ends from them over time. I won't list any more items with a short story attached, otherwise we'd be here forever.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, dixon cox said:

my last pair of bi-focals cost B12,000 from Euro Optic on 2nd Road, opposite Royal Garden Plaza, believe it or not. My previous pair of single-focals from there were B8,000. The work and service there is very good, although it's not cheap and probably cheaper to get from your own country.

Depends on what you want and need really. You can get a pair progressive lenses from any shop here from € 50 and up.

Problem is, the cheap ones are coke-bottlesB)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, seven said:

Problem is, the cheap ones are coke-bottles B)

If I didn't pay extra for thinness mine would be like that. Last time I wanted nerdy news-reader glasses but bottled it. 

I wore contact lenses for about 35 years. In the end it just became more cost effective to buy glasses instead now that I'm retired and not working. I don't mind wearing glasses at all now, but in my earlier years the thought horrified me. I made the switch about 5 years ago and waited for the finger-pointing, but it never came. Just a sprinkling said "you look different, what have you done?"  Nobody else gives a shit. I should've made the switch years ago.

My eyesight is poor without correction. On the other hand my hearing is irritatingly good.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dixon cox said:

If I didn't pay extra for thinness mine would be like that.

O yes. I'm not going to say how much I paid. Frame wasn't that bad, but the lenses, fook me. Many many many STs with a ladyman and then some:(

I wore contact lenses for about 35 years.

Tried as you know, but never got comfortable and its a hazzle to pop em in right.

I should've made the switch years ago.

Its fun getting old , isn't it.:biggrin:

• Like 1

On 10/21/2019 at 7:12 PM, duke007 said:

Do they sell cheap Toasters?

I'll check and get back to you. But I suspect that they do.

diy.png

There seems to be 4 Mr DIYs in the monger areas of Pattaya:

TukCom, Avenue, Royal Garden, Harbour Mall (Pattaya Klang).

Lots of locations all over Thailand.  Stores in the Philippines too but not at SM Mall in Angeles.

I think they have a good business model.  Their stuff is priced so low that you don't have to shop around to see if you can get a better price elsewhere.

Here's their Thailand store locator:

https://www.mrdiy.com/th/storelocator/

• Like 1

On 10/21/2019 at 7:12 PM, duke007 said:

Do they sell cheap Toasters?

I just checked Mr DIY at the Avenue and they don't have toasters.  Perhaps another branch does.

If I was going to buy a cheap toaster I'd go to Big C. They would certainly have them.  I just bought a blender there.  There are Big C's at Pattaya Tai and Sukhumvit where I generally go, Pattaya Klang between 3rd Road and Sukhumvit, and 2nd Road around Soi 2. 

• 2 weeks later...

Cheap Charlie's has an outstanding value for money chicken dinner.  Just 99 baht!

cc1.jpgcc2.jpg

I'm stuffed.   Tasty.   Proper name brand condiments on he table such as Heinz Ketchup, French's Mustard, Sarson Malt Vinegar, H&P Steak Sauce etc.

I was eating alone and if not socializing prefer not to drink but a bottle of San Mig Lite is only 49 baht. Comfortable chairs.  Pick a table that has a fan in the right position.

They have a different special every day and I believe the specials change monthly.  If you get a discount card (199 baht) then all the specials are just 99 baht even the expensive ones.  But I don't like having a big farang meal all that often so am content to forego the card and just have the chicken when I go there.

It's on Soi Buakhao just slightly south of Soi Diana. You can't miss it; a black and white motif with lots of Charlie Chaplin.

The biggest downside is after eating a meal like that, I'm in no mood to go out; just want to go home and relax.

• Like 1

My favourite place is the Seaside restaurant in soi pothole or street food in that soi .

The restaurant at the top end of the soi  is good for price to but they open a lot later than Seaside but sadly  Seaside is up for sale ,I just hope the cook and the menu stays the same 

• Like 2

3  of my faves are on soi Lengkee just around corner from Bukhao, the first one on south side of soi (going towards 3rd Rd) does a great khao man gai for 40 baht (can get chicken fried or poached as usual) and there  is a noodle soup stall directly across from it also very cheap and beside that there is a great donair place for 60 baht 

• Like 2

On 11/8/2019 at 4:12 PM, Pdoggg said:

Cheap Charlie's has an outstanding value for money chicken dinner.  Just 99 baht!'m stuffed.   Tasty.   Proper name brand condiments on he table such as Heinz Ketchup, French's Mustard, Sarson Malt Vinegar, H&P Steak Sauce

HP Brown Sauce please PD :wink:

IMG_20191109_185533.jpg

IMG_20191109_184154.jpg

IMG_20191109_184304.jpg

IMG_20191109_184347.jpg

• Like 1

Guess I'm spoiled by the outdoor barber chairs in Phnom Penh where I can get a haircut for 30 baht.  Long gone are the days when the Soi Hollywood barbers charged 60 baht. Now it's 100.

But the other day I discovered a barber shop still priced at 60 baht.   As you hit Soi 17 from Soi Day Night there is a soi that connects Soi 17 with Soi Yensabai (this connecting soi may also be known as Yensabai despite a 90 degree turn).

It doesn't even look like a barber shop but a nice lady cut my hair.  Can't vouch for her expertise because you don't have to be highly skilled to give a buzz cut (crew cut).

She also does 50 baht manicures but my girlfriend handles that.

hc1.jpghc2.jpghc3.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/9/2019 at 1:25 AM, stoolpusher said:

My favourite place is the Seaside restaurant in soi pothole or street food in that soi .

The restaurant at the top end of the soi  is good for price to but they open a lot later than Seaside but sadly  Seaside is up for sale ,I just hope the cook and the menu stays the same 

absolutely nothing to do with the food SP... but as you may well recall, sitting and eating in the Seaside [on the street tables ] gives you a great view of the gorgeous Cambodian blonde LB, now a post-op... sitting opposite. name leery or lily.

if you want to bring her along to your party on the 1st... feel free!

• Like 2

We use lots of water and luckily I have a nearby water filter machine that costs 1 baht a liter.   Never had a problem with that water.

For those who insist on bottled water though. FamilyMart usually charges 20 baht for two 1.5 liter bottles of Singha water.  That's 10 baht per bottle instead of 14 baht if you just buy one.

1 hour ago, Pdoggg said:

We use lots of water and luckily I have a nearby water filter machine that costs 1 baht a liter.   Never had a problem with that water.

I used to use water machines a lot at my previous abode as it was not only cheaper, but easier to refill cleaned bottles than go to a 7-11 as there were several nearby. However, I always used to run it for a few seconds before offering my own first bottle up and also make sure it never touched the dispensing nozzle.

These days I get given free water, so no longer use them and ~shock-horror~ I use tap water when boiling it for tea or coffee or when brushing teeth.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

For those who insist on bottled water though. FamilyMart usually charges 20 baht for two 1.5 liter bottles of Singha water.  That's 10 baht per bottle instead of 14 baht if you just buy one.

I only use bottled water as I'm lazy. 7-11 has 12 packs of 600 ml  7-11 Select water for 59 baht. The same 12 packs of Singha or Nestle water are 65 baht.

The M Generation Card is a loyalty card for Major Cineplex.  Currently 60+ cardholders get to see movies from Mon-Fri for 60 baht. At one time it was just on Tuesdays. Or maybe Tuesday are discounted for everybody.  You also get a free movie during your birthday week.  The card costs 150 per year (I think).  

If you are under 60, the card costs 50 baht and you get a 20 baht discount every time you go.  So a 150 baht seat would jsut cost 130 baht

Lots of other confusing benefits that make the old La Bamba card seem straightforward!  :biggrin:

There is an automated ticket machine that most people, both Thailand farang don't know how to use so they have an employee to help you at the machine.

The question is what happens when a senior uses his card to buy multiple tickets?   I just bought a card for my teerak today figuring we'll use it enough to cover the 50 baht fee.  Anyway, the movie employee was helping us with the machine and she indicated it would be 130 baht (free for the birthday boy and 130 for my teerak but the way she processed the cards turned out free for me and 60 baht for her.  A mistake in my favor that she had no incentive to correct and would have been very time consuming for her to do so. 

Actually, I'm told that, at least in the States, theatres make very little from ticket sales and the bulk of their money comes from overpriced popcorn.  So theatre employees might search bags for food yet not give a damn about moving from theatre to another in a multiplex.

Not quite sure if one actually know how to book online with preloaded cash what would be the price of the second ticket?   Figuring out stuff like this in your home country is difficult enough but almost impossible to nail down accurately if speaking Thinglish. 

• 1 month later...