Value For Money Stores, Markets, Restaurants, Food Stalls

Pdoggg

Mr DIY is on the 4th floor of Tukcom.

Has a variety of product such as rain ponchos (25 baht), nail clippers (17 baht) pens, locks etc.

They also have reading glasses for only 19 baht but not nearly as good of a selection as the slightly more expensive stall on the main floor.

Please post good shops that you have been to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pdoggg said:

Has a variety of product such as rain ponchos (25 baht), nail clippers (17 baht) pens, locks etc.

They also have reading glasses for only 19 baht but not nearly as good of a selection as the slightly more expensive stall on the main floor.

I saw a Thai  vlogger vid about the place and he spent the entire vlog just trying to find the place, apparently the stairs /escalator to 4th floor not easy to find or maybe he is just a total numpty

8 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

There is a DIY place in the basement of Tukcom. But it's more of an all around DIY home improvement/repair store than tourist stuff. But I've bought a couple of thing there.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2018 at 9:25 PM, globetrotter said:

I saw a Thai  vlogger vid about the place and he spent the entire vlog just trying to find the place, apparently the stairs /escalator to 4th floor not easy to find or maybe he is just a total numpty

IMO it's probably the easiest place to find in TukCom.

If you take the escalator up it's directly in front of you s you get off on the 4th floor..  Impossible to miss if you know how the TukCom escalators work.

Didn't realize the basement was also Mr DIY.  Bought some stuff there meself. 

Major Cineplex at theAvenue Mall has a discount card that comes in three flavors:

1) Regular

2) Student

3) Age 60+

These cards cost 100 baht and supposedly good forever.

The Regular card gives you a 20 baht discount.

The 60+ has a 50 baht discount.

You also get a free movie during your birthday week. The website states this free movie must be at least one month after you buy the card but the girl at Major told me the movie will be free on my birthday week later this month.

There are also points you can earn. Not really sure what they are good for.  If you buy a ticket for you and your companion think you get extra points, not sure but I think.  But you only get a discount for yourself.

This card might also be good at other chains other than Major.

Hey, anyone know if the Sensations/Baby Boom discount card or 69 Bar discount card is still around?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

Major Cineplex at theAvenue Mall has a discount 

Hey, anyone know if the Sensations/Baby Boom discount card or 69 Bar discount card is still around?

Thats good. I prefer this place. Central is too loud and v/hip.

I still have mine, although not holding my breath about this one.:biggrin:

One regular eatery of mine is the Chicken stand on Pattaya Tai and Buakhao.

Opens at around 6PM. Closes around  11 or so.  Opens earlier on Sunday snce the motbike place is closed.

3 choices of chicken. lean white meat, fried chicken, or delicious chicken on the bone.

Comes with delicious yellow rice or white rice.

Plus a big bowl of broth.

there had been a 10 baht differential between large and small and I couldn't really tell the difference so I'd order small.

Then they raise the price only on the small and it was only a 5 baht differential.

Now they raised the price on the large so it's back to a 10 baht differential.

40 baht for small. 50 baht for somewhat larger.

You can also get a plate of rice for 10 baht. The yellow tasty enough to eat alone.

I think best to go early because not really great for chicken and rice to be out there in the big pot.  

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

One regular eatery of mine is the Chicken stand on Pattaya Tai and Buakhao.

Opens at around 6PM. Closes around  11 or so.  Opens earlier on Sunday snce the motbike place is closed.

3 choices of chicken. lean white meat, fried chicken, or delicious chicken on the bone.

Comes with delicious yellow rice or white rice.

Plus a big bowl of broth.

there had been a 10 baht differential between large and small and I couldn't really tell the difference so I'd order small.

Then they raise the price only on the small and it was only a 5 baht differential.

Now they raised the price on the large so it's back to a 10 baht differential.

40 baht for small. 50 baht for somewhat larger.

You can also get a plate of rice for 10 baht. The yellow tasty enough to eat alone.

I think best to go early because not really great for chicken and rice to be out there in the big pot.  

Ya, that is a great place, I  have seen you there a few times in the past while flying by on baht bus

When i go there I usually order a small plate of the yellow rice with chicken on the bone and then when I go to pay takeaway rice only for an extra 10 baht and they also give me a little broth with that. Just put the rice in the broth and nuke it for a couple of minutes and I think it's a better alternative to Mama noodles.

One of my favorites is the soup place on Pattaya Tai close to 3rd Road.

If you are headed from Soi Buakhao to 3rd Road on the left side of the street on the corner of the last little soi is an outstanding soup stand.

They serve soup with sliced red pork, noodles, and wontons.  I ask for guay tiao nam - nam mak (lots of water) as Thais  seem more concerned with the ingredients than the water. 

You can help yourself to free iced tea.

It's a night place. Opens at 7PM and closes around 5AM.

• 4 months later...
On 10/20/2018 at 8:24 PM, Pdoggg said:

A new Mr. DIY is about to open in The Avenue. It isn't open yet but the shelves are stocked. They have everything from computer mice to plumbing parts to personal items listed above. It's in the back of the ground floor across from the food court.

The Avenue is going through it umpteenth :biggrin: make over since I started coming here. They keep trying but nothing seems to stick. Perhaps a retailer like Mr. DIY will help?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, duke007 said:

I bought a couple of things from the DIY store at the corner of Soi Chaiyapoon/3rd Road (or was it Soi Lengkee/3rd Road? :search:) last November that I didnt know existed, came in handy B)

Soi Lengkee and 3rd Road. That place is a fraction of the size of a Mr. DIY but can have some goodies one needs. I bought a plastic fan blade assembly for the  Hatari floor standing fan in my room after I demolished the original blades. I paid 165 baht and was later told that it would likely have been about 90 baht if purchased by a Thai. But a lot of the stuff has the price shown. 

On 3/28/2019 at 2:38 PM, xyzzy said:

A new Mr. DIY is about to open in The Avenue. It isn't open yet but the shelves are stocked. They have everything from computer mice to plumbing parts to personal items listed above. It's in the back of the ground floor across from the food court.

The Avenue is going through it umpteenth :biggrin: make over since I started coming here. They keep trying but nothing seems to stick. Perhaps a retailer like Mr. DIY will help?

Great news for those who live nearby.  Amazing prices, a four pack of batteries was something like 14 baht or 19 back.

It appeared in February that they were narrowing the passageway so that the new business which turns out to be Mr DIY has more space.

Hopefully, stores that sell stuff I want will move in.

The food court is a plus too.  While the Tin Cup joint has tastier food, the food court has AC . A good choice for a rainy day.

The Cineplex is my movie local.  They have a discount card.  For old farts it is 100 baht and you get a 20 baht discount and a free movie on your birthday week. 

Villa Market is overpriced compared to Friendship but good to have around in case of bad weather. 

The coffee bean joint sometimes has a 2 for 1 sale. Next time I'll stock up.  Im not a wine drinker, but if you're a wino then check out the wine shop next to the coffee bean joint.

Never been to the Rooftop Bar. Any good?

Is the gym any good XY?

20 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

Villa Market is overpriced compared to Friendship but good to have around in case of bad weather. 

I spend a lot of baht in Villa because they have a lot of imported American stuff that I buy. I put it on my credit card as it's one of the few places I'm not scared to use a card. I make my own breakfast and lunch mostly using USA imports. It's all very expensive but at least I can control my calories/sodium/etc. On a day when I go out for my usual Italian supper I maybe spend as much money in a day on food as you do in a week. That would have to change if I lived here.

FWIW some things are cheaper at Big C extra than Friendship. The beginning of this trip I loaded up on 11 750ml bottles of Listerine as it was 14 baht cheaper than Friendship. But I usually make the trek to Big C Extra early in my trips to get several things I can't find elsewhere. Friendship has good prices on canned V8 juice, condoms and lube (that I need) as well a general groceries.  

20 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

Is the gym any good XY?

The gym is good but since they lowered the price they don't keep the place as cool as previously. I like it cool as I have to work harder to keep my heart rate up and get a better workout.

24 minutes ago, Pdoggg said:

Do you go to Pattaya Klang, Pattaya Tai, or 2nd Road?  I guess they are all more or less the same?

Yes they all are about the same but I go to the one on Klang. When Big C bought out Carrefore they named the store Big C Extra while the other stores were Big C Supercenter. I don't think that has changed?

The one on Klang and the one on north 2nd Road:

BIG C Extra.jpg

Big C Supercenter.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/31/2019 at 3:44 PM, xyzzy said:

FWIW some things are cheaper at Big C extra than Friendship.

I agree. I like Friendship and go quite often, but some things I refuse to buy there, such as grapes. Their bread is nice but despite opening at 7am the fresh bread of the day isn't placed out on the shelves until around 8 or 8.30am. Good to get there early when in need, as later on in the day most of it will have touched by 100's of human hands as it is almost all 'naked'. There's a single set of seemingly 'never-washed' tongues, but most don't seem to bother using them.

Back to the grapes. Friendship cost about B160 for a 8x5 inch (?) tray of grapes. In Big C they cost about half that and the grapes are stacked higher, plus all the pips are dealt with. Big C has a better bakery section too. I pay my 3BB manually every few months at their office in Big C Extra and always buy lots of grapes and bakery items from the supermarket whenever I go.

I also like the small Malee fruit in syrup cans, longan or rambutan, usually. One style comes with a plastic lid containing a plastic folded-up spoon inside. In Friendship they are B55 each, that's outrageous!  They were on sale once for B22 and I bought loads. I've seen them in 7-Elevens often for B33. A tasty little afters.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dixon cox said:

Good to get there early when in need, as later on in the day most of it will have touched by 100's of human hands as it is almost all 'naked'. There's a single set of seemingly 'never-washed' tongues, but most don't seem to bother using them.

You are not wrong there.  One morning I  saw an old Chinese Thai man, may well have been the owner, rearranging the baguettes with his bare hands to make them look more presentable.  To think he may have been on a squat toilet previously put me right off my breakfast plans.

• Like 1