Belfast Lad And Thai Shithouse Jail

Pdoggg

FOUR hours before his flight home from Thailand, Belfast lad Waleed Bradley found himself sitting in a cell, facing four months in jail.

It was all because he ignored a 'do not touch' sign, and hid a crocodile skull at a local market while drunk the night before.

He told 5Star's Young, Dumb and Banged Up in the Sun about the squalid conditions.

“The walls smelt like faeces. It was real grim. Within about 10 minutes I was crying."

He found himself wondering if he would end up having to eat raw cockroaches, and decided to do some press-ups – in case he had to fight off his fellow prisoners.

“At this point I was told I would be doing four days minimum in that cell."

The trouble began the night before, on the last night of his lads' holiday, on Phi Phi Island.

Boozed up, the boys went to a local Market.

Bradley ignored a ‘do not touch’ sign on the stall, and picked up a large crocodile skull.

He began messing about with the skull, moving its jaw to make it attack his mate.

If he stepped back he was out of the view of the shop owners, and it was while hidden that he decided to stash the skull.
Bradley laughs as he recounts it may have been for "possible later robbery".

He never went back for the skull, but that didn’t mean the shopkeeper didn’t come for him.

A long night later, he said he woke up in a strange hotel with a woman he couldn’t name, and no phone or wallet.

He went out looking for the phone, but before he found it a Thai woman grabbed him and said he had to go to the police station.

In a moment of panic he said he would, and when the woman asked where he was staying, he told her.

“Because I was so hungover and I wasn’t thinking right I said I was staying at the resort I was staying [at]."

He went back to his apartment, and his friends answered the door.

“I had no cards and no money, so I knew if I had done something wrong I was in serious trouble.”

“The first thing I said was – ‘lads, I think I’m wanted for messing about with that crocodile skull last night'."

His friends convinced Bradley he was being paranoid, and he went back to bed. Then at 10 am there was a loud knock at the door.

He was shoved out the room and chucked into a cell by an angry police officer.

During the police interview a woman, who said she was a shopkeeper from the night before, appeared, and she had brought the skull.

She also had CCTV footage of Bradley hiding it, and accused him of attempted theft.

“I said listen, I’m going home today, I can’t pay you, I have no money, I can pay you when I go home," Bradley said.

“She said 'no – I’ve heard this before. You need to pay today'. At that point she asked for about £8,000 in English money.”

“I thought 'you’re trying to make a mug of me, no, I can’t pay that'.”

He was told he would be going to court in four days, and facing a minimum sentence of four months in jail, and a maximum of five years.

If he could find £8000, he would be let go.

His friend snuck a mobile phone into Bradley's cell, but the lady on the other end refused to help.

He didn’t have phone banking, and she wasn’t impressed when he said he was in a Thai jail.

Two Israeli women they had met the day before came to the rescue, offering to use their Visa cards to pay for the skull.

He had already bartered the price of the skull down from £8000 to £3500.

Even with the money, there was one final requirement – a touch of public shaming.

Bradley was made to pose with the shopkeeper and crocodile skull for a photograph.

He puts the whole ordeal down to bad karma, remembering how days before he had put MnMs in a Buddha statue's ears.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7137181/boozy-brit-tourist-ignores-do-not-touch-warnings-at-souvenir-stall-and-ends-up-in-thai-hellhole-jail/

22 minutes ago, ciobha said:

I heard about that also, but it was deemed so far fetched a story, even the sleazy tabloid newspapers wouldn't follow up on it.:blink:

It does indeed seem beyond the realms of credibility, all I can say on the matter is that said person was later seen walking like John Wayne down Soi Yensabai your Honour.

• Like 1