Bill Padding Techniques

Pdoggg

Wondering what bill padding techniques you've encountered?

I suspect bill padding is most likely to occur when the Cashier has a certain amount of power, sort of like a mamasan.

One technique is simply to keep the bins behind the counter and then when you ask to ket loi (check bin in Khmer)they give  you a somewhat higher computerised bill which belongs/belonged to someone else.

This works best with drunk customers, or in group situations where it is tough to keep track. Even if it is only a slight overcharge, this is an easy way for a cashier to supplement her income.

This happened to me tonight in Madame Butterfly on the corner of Street 136 and Street 5.

I questioned it and it was rectified but I don't like having to question bills and know it wasn't accidental.

So this type of scam hurts the owner but helps the Cashier as some customers may not return to a bar where they have to be vigilant about scams when there are other options.

I think most of us who have spent time in the bars of SE Asia have experienced some form of rip off/ scam at least once.  I have mentioned elsewhere on this forum about my early years in Pattaya where I saw a real drunk guy getting ripped off in Pooks Soi 6.  He paid the bar fine before heading upstairs, but when he came back down he got hit for the  fine again , (he couldn’t remember paying the first one he was so gone) along with a bill which was, to say the least, a tad higher than what he had consumed.  While I had witnessed the whole thing along with another former forum member, we didn’t get involved for obvious reasons.  

On 8/31/2018 at 4:18 PM, redrock said:

Maybe it's because I don't drink that much, and when I do it's rarely a heavy session. 

Definitely being mao and letting a big bin build up is your enemy in this situation.  Throw in a few lady drinks and one is very open to getting stung.