PassApp Taxi

Pdoggg

PassApp Taxi is catching on and the rickshaws are all over Phnom Penh this year; many more than last year.  This seems to be the dominant taxi app in Phnom Penh.

You have a choice of 4 vehicles:

Rickshaw 3000 riel (75 cent) drop.   For one or two people, I think the Rickshaw is better than the Khmer Tuk Tuk.   Besides being slightly cheaper, it is much easier to get in and out as it is lower to the ground. They are also brand new though they will eventually get old and run down, I also suspect there are many more PassApp Rickshaws than Khmer Tuk Tuks equipped with the App.  I guess you could fit three people, but three big barang would be a very tight squeeze.

Khmer Tuk Tuk 4000 riel drop.  This is the standard old Cambodian tuk tuk that you're used to.  I only recommend if you have three or more people.

Classic Car 5000 riel drop.  This is a car. Never used it.

SUV 6000 riel drop.  Never used it.

The advantages of PassApp Taxi is that the price for a tuk tuk is cheaper than you could negotiate, you don't have to haggle, and you can put in a drop off location which means you don't have to explain where you want to go.  But some drivers are not great at reading the GPS map so I sometimes have to point them in the right direction.

The fare to the airport is approx 4 USD but on the street it takes haggling to get to 5 USD in the rickshaw.

Used it twice today and the pickup time was less than a minute, while last year the pickup time was much longer.  Of course pickup times will be longer during off hours or when raining.

Sometimes their Facebook page has discount codes.   

https://www.facebook.com/pg/passapptaxis/

You can download the app from GooglePlay or the iStore.

• Like 1