Staying Logged On

For over a year now I have been able to stay logged on to LBR for days even if I closed the site. As long as I never shut down my computer or refreshed the browser I remain logged in. This has changed in the last few days. Now if I leave the site I must sign back in when I return. Since I am lazy this drives me crazy.

Why the change?

Is this the case for everyone?

I use Opera browser on Windows EP, and yeah like many of you I have to log in every time I want to check the forum. It is a bit of an inconvenience for sure, but hey it takes about 20 seconds more to sign in again, not a long time, but here is hoping none of you are adding up those 20 seconds every day and post a statistic that when you pass away you will have spent half a day of you life logging on to LB gratification. :p

Damn we need a moderator around here who knows what is going on. :rolleyes:

No changes were made as far as I know.

But obviously something has changed; I'll check into it. We have some sister sites, and the guys who operate those actually like having to login repeatedly, something about privacy and security. But I am well aware that the guys here don't like it at all/

The way it had been set up was that if one went into Hibernate mode overnight you would stay logged in but if you powered down then you would have to login again.

BB,

I think you might be missing my point. For a year I never had to log in again unless I shut my computer or refreshed the browser. Now if I wander off and and check an email I have to log in all over again. So what has changed and why?

Ah okay with you now SS, sorry. Not having your particular problem here, I stay logged in as long as I don't close the browser. Opera saves the password, so when I want to log in I just hit the Key icon and it does it for me.

I gotta agree with Sam here -

Last month, I noticed there were a few days where I could be logged in for up to 2 or 3 days at a time, as long as I checked in here once or twice per day. Made it easy to hop in here, see what was new, post a few times, then go back to the drudgery of real life.

As of about 2 or 3 weeks ago it reverted back to the old way. I complained about this sometime last year. I can log in, say "remember me" and then an hour later I come back here and I have to log in all over again if I want to see if anything is new.

To be honest, I normally just open the bookmarks bar and surf over to another LB site instead, as it's always "open" for me and I don't have to go through the 20 second ritual in order to find out if there's anything new worth reading or responding to.

It's a small issue but I would bet I'd be viewing pages here 2-3x more often than I do currently if it were different. I can't say I'd be posting 2-3x the amount I currently do; that's more a function of how much is going on here. But I'd be checking in way more which often leads to posting more.

It's definitely a deterrent to me being here more than I currently do. And I'll also admit that sometimes it leads to me not being here for weeks at a time. It's just too easy to be somewhere else in comparison.

I stay logged in as long as I don't close the browser.

Thanks Sam and DT for bringing the new twists of the issue to our attention. There are probably many other posters having similar problems but not speaking up. In order to find a solution, we need to know that there's a problem and of course helpful to know as many details as possible about the problem.

I think there a few distinct issues here some of which maybe related to how long one's incativity is.

Let's try to deal with the most basic issue, staying logged in if closing the site for let's say 5 minutes.

I stay logged in as long as I don't close the browser or powerdown completely.

If I close Ladyboy Review, and close the cover on my MacBook Pro, I stay logged in as long as I don't close the browser. Tried this with both Firefox and Safari. However, if I close the browser before closing the cover then I will not stay logged in.

I am curious if this is the same for everyone? Let's tackle this first and then move on from there. Tough for me to test long periods of inactivity as then I can't be online, yes I can use another browser but that's not a complete test.

I stay logged in as long as I don't close the browser or powerdown completely.

If I close Ladyboy Review, and close the cover on my MacBook Pro, I stay logged in as long as I don't close the browser. Tried this with both Firefox and Safari. However, if I close the browser before closing the cover then I will not stay logged in.

I am curious if this is the same for everyone?

Yes, this is the same for me -- I'm on a Mac laptop and use Firefox for this forum. The annoying thing for me is that when I do have to log back in, and then click "New Content" I guess it just checks from the moment I just logged in or something, cuz it always tells me there's no new content, and I have to wait a while for people to post.

On the other forums I just go to the site, it remembers my log in, and New Content since my last visit always comes up...

The annoying thing for me is that when I do have to log back in, and then click "New Content" I guess it just checks from the moment I just logged in or something, cuz it always tells me there's no new content, and I have to wait a while for people to post.

Near the to[ right of the page you'll see your avatar and to the right of your avatar you'll see your Froum Name and to the right of that is a drop down menu.

From the drop down menu choose My Settings.

Near the bottom of that page you can change your viewing of new content. Try setting it to View New Content I Have Not Read.

• 1 month later...

I think this was addressed elsewhere, but here's what I'm finding.

I'm using a Macintosh with Safari for my browser.

If I log in here and then leave my browser app running (don't SHUT DOWN Safari) I can continue surfing back here and find myself logged in every time.

For guys like me that hate having open apps that aren't being used, what this means is:

DON'T "close" Safari. When I'm done browsing, I click on the red button in the upper left corner of the screen (next to the yellow button to minimize or green button to maximize Safari). Clicking the red button closes the window, but leaves Safari running in the background.

If I instead go to the pulldown menu at upper left and pull down "Safari" then "Quit Safari" that completely closes the app, and the next time I surf back to my favorite site I'll have to log in completely again.

So far, I've been logged in here for 2 days without a problem.

Sam, I still suspect that without knowing it, you've "closed" Safari, rather than just closing the window and leaving Safari running in the background. Once I figured out the difference, I've had no problem staying logged in as long as I want.

To verify please try this.

Next time you're ready to come in to your favorite lil' corner of the internet, do this first:

Click on "Apple" logo in upper left corner

Using the pull down menu, select "Force Quit"

This will then show you all the applications that are currently "open" or running in the background.

If SAFARI is not one of the applications, that means that it is NOT running in the background. Thus, you closed it and have now logged yourself out of the LBR site.

If that's the case, log back in here. And when you are done, DO NOT use the "SAFARI" menu in upper left corner of screen to "Quit Safari". Instead, clock on the red button in upper left corner of the open browser window.

Leave, go shopping, play some hockey. Come back 3 days later.

Check your "force quit" menu items. Safari should be showing. DO NOT CLICK ON IT OR YOU WILL FORCE IT TO QUIT!!!!!!!

Open a new Safari window, click on your bookmark for LBR. You should find yourself already logged in.

Thanks DT. Appreciate you taking the time however I have tried all of this before and still cannot stay logged on.

My Safari browser is on constantly. I never close the browser unless I power down and I hardly ever power down. As long as my computer is on the browser remains open. Nonetheless if I close LBR and then return after a vigorous hockey game I have to log on again. I also tried Larry's suggestion but to no avail.

I just bought a new MacBook Pro 3 weeks ago. This is when the problem started. My previous MacBook Pro did not present this problem so I suspect it has something to do with a setting in the new computer I am unaware of.

Alas I will stop griping and accept my fate...boo hoo.

The ability to log into a web site and stay logged in has been around since the invention of cookies back in the Netscape days. It's up to the person in charge of the web site software to determine how long a cookie can get you access to the site.

I imagine that the administrative interface to the forum software contains switches to control the lifetime of a cookie. So the solution to this problem is in the hands of the admins.