Winter Olympics 2018

globetrotter

Probably not many fans on it on forum I'm guessing,  but it's a pretty big deal where I live so I am enjoying watching it when I can, just sucks that NHL players aren't allowed to play this year so  our team is a bunch of college guys or over the hill ex NHLers so chances of a repeat gold for us very slim this time, Norway is  a fucking powerhouse considering their  relatively small population 

3 hours ago, globetrotter said:

NHL players aren't allowed to play this year

Not only  the U.S.  Most nations except the russkies ( OAR) have their best players stopped by NHL and their $.

An olympic gold in hockey used to be the ultimate goal for hockey-players, remember Lake Placid 1980, not anymore.

Leaves basically only the World Cup in football every 4th year where clubs and their money cant dictate the rules,

and the best players participate.

Norway is good on skis, thats about it.

18 hours ago, seven said:

Not only  the U.S.  Most nations except the russkies ( OAR) have their best players stopped by NHL and their $.

An olympic gold in hockey used to be the ultimate goal for hockey-players, remember Lake Placid 1980, not anymore.

Leaves basically only the World Cup in football every 4th year where clubs and their money cant dictate the rules,

and the best players participate.

Norway is good on skis, thats about it.

Ya The Ruskies probably have the 2 best players in the tournament (Datsyuk and, Kovalchuk), but because of the stupid decision we don't have  guys like  have Crosby(still best player in the world  Imo)McDavid, Stamkos etc... on  our team so I think the Ruskies will win,  Norway is to skiing what  The Netherlands are  to long track speed skating, one trick ponies but they still have 13 medals all in just that one sport , that is  pretty impressive 

Funny being in Pattaya I have seen maybe two minutes of the Olympics. If I was home I would be glued to the TV. I was in a GoGo the other night and they put on Curling for two minutes and then switched the channel. I just went through all the channels on Sophon Cable and found no Olympics. I am watching Tiger Woods play very bad golf on delay. I'm sure I can find a way to stream a lot of the Olympics but haven't tried it yet.

The 1980 USA hockey team was a huge deal because a bunch of college kids beat the best pro team in the world. Professionals couldn't play then but the CCCP team was pretending to be in the army so they weren't considered pros. They had all the best pro players in the Soviet Union and the team was always together. Unlike the over matched amateur teams assembled for the Olympics from other countries that played together for a month or two.

I'm surprised the NHL ever let players go to the Olympics. And after they did that it lasted so long. I suppose it has something to do with hockey being the national religion of Canada. :biggrin:  It totally hoses up the NHL schedule. They already play 82 games and taking a few weeks away in the middle of the season had the teams playing many back to back nights. 

The US is just lucky that for some reason basketball is in the summer Olympics when it's basically always played in the winter. I doubt the NBA would even consider stopping play for the Olympics.

I am in favor of moving synchronized swimming and rhythmic gymnastics to the winter Olympics and using outdoor venues.

9 hours ago, xyzzy said:

I'm surprised the NHL ever let players go to the Olympics. And after they did that it lasted so long. I suppose it has something to do with hockey being the national religion of Canada. :biggrin:  It totally hoses up the NHL schedule. They already play 82 games and taking a few weeks away in the middle of the season had the teams playing many back to back nights

But if you ask the players, especially from countries that stand a good chance for gold they would go in a heartbeat brutal schedule and all, getting to do that could be a once in a lifetime deal and dream come true 

15 hours ago, globetrotter said:

But if you ask the players, especially from countries that stand a good chance for gold they would go in a heartbeat brutal schedule and all, getting to do that could be a once in a lifetime deal and dream come true 

Yes I'm sure they would. Star athletes often do things that aren't in their best interest. Concussions in the NFL come to mind. Shortening the time period of a full 82 game season by weeks is just crazy IMO. It should have never been allowed in the first place and there would be no argument now. IMO

6 hours ago, xyzzy said:

Yes I'm sure they would. Star athletes often do things that aren't in their best interest. Concussions in the NFL come to mind. Shortening the time period of a full 82 game season by weeks is just crazy IMO. It should have never been allowed in the first place and there would be no argument now. IMO

And i probably drink too much and eat more red meat than I should but hey up to me

Women's hockey gold medal  game is tonight, no surprise what teams are playing 

20 hours ago, globetrotter said:

And i probably drink too much and eat more red meat than I should but hey up to me

Is this suppose to be some kind of defense of NHL players playing in the Olympics? If you kill or maim yourself most likely no one other than your family and friends will give a shit. NHL teams have billions of dollars invested in players. Teams futures depend on their players. Many have clauses in their contracts that prevent them from doing sports/hobbies considered dangerous. A serious injury can end a career or permanently diminish talent. At the very best an injury takes a player away from his team for a while. It's no secret that back to back (to back) games can be much harder on the body and often the quality of the game. It was IMO the correct decision unless the NHL is willing to take 12-15 games out of each teams schedule. Which they won't do just to send some superstars to the Olympics and IMO never should have.     

22 hours ago, ArchieBunker said:

Its curious but North Korea has not shown ANY coverage of the Olympics in the south.  One of the last live sporting events shown in North Korea was in the 2010 World Cup when North Korea got hammered 7-0 by Portugal.  No wonder Kims regime doesnt want to show anymore!!!

A real tragedy for the North Korea summer team that Kim Jong Il is no longer alive. He could have won gold in men's golf, since golf has been added to the games, after shooting a 38 under par 34 the first time he ever played golf...