Airport to Bangkok By Public Transit

Pdoggg

If you don't have lots of luggage taking public transit to the airport is an attractive option.  Advantages include price, not having to wait in airport taxi queues, and most importantly, when taking the train to Swampy, you have a good idea how long it is going to take. With a taxi you have no idea especially if it's rush hour.

Below is my experience going from Don Mueang to Nana and returning from Nana to Swampy.

From Don Mueang I took the A1 bus to the MoChit BTS (different stop than Mo Chit Bus Terminal)

You catch it outside Door 6 or Door 12 and pay your 30 baht on the bus. It's an express bus with limited stops and i think MoChit BTS is the third stop from Don Mueang.

They run every 5 minutes. It was quite crowded but I didn't have much luggage. It took about 15 minutes to MoChit MRT and MoChit BTS. When you get off the bus it's a 1 minute walk to the MRT and just one minute more to the BTS, they are both in the same direction.

Then I took the BTS to the Nana Station, think it was 44 baht.

Btw, I read that there is construction which is causing delays going to the Don Mueang. Not sure if the A1 by passes these problems or not.

I purposely stayed at a hotel only a couple of minutes away from the BTS because I knew I would be taking public transit each way.

To get to Swampy from Nana you take the BTS to the Phaya Thai station and from there you connect to the Airport Rail link. The whole trip should be less than an hour. Forget the exact price but it was about the same as my trip from Don Mueang.

Btw, at the 'entrance to the rail link at Swampy is a bunch of exchange booths, Super Rich and others, that give an excellent exchange rate.

I had to return to the airport to return a wrong bag I picked up and decided to use the BTS and Rail Link. The cost was something like 78 Baht, 34 Baht from Nana to Phaya Thai station, and then 45 Baht (or so for the) Airport Link train. The travel time was about 45 minutes, so it is the best option if you have a small amount of luggage - like a carry on and your hotel is near one of the BTS stations.

• Like 1

Airport Link Rail from Airport to main areas of Bangkok is a no-brainer, if your flight arrives between 6 am and 10 pm.  Cost 45Baht to Praya Thai, and you catch SkyTrain from there to just about anyplace where you want to stay in Bangkok. 

As an aside, Agoda.com has a filter that will find hotels closest to BTS(SkyTrain) and MRT(Subway) stations by distance. 

Also, I would say unless you are retiring in Bangkok, there is no need to take anymore luggage beyond one carry-on bag.  Virtually, everything you need you can buy cheaper in Bangkok, than the west.

• 10 months later...

Regarding the Airport Rail Link, depending where you are staying in Bangkok, rather than going to Phaya Thai (7 stops and 45 baht), you might want to get off at Makasan (5 stops and 35 baht).

The Makasan Rail Link station is connected to the Petchaburi MRT station. It's all covered in case of rain but is a little longer than walk than the exchange between trains at Phaya Tai.

So you get on the MRT and it is just one stop to the Sukhumvit station at Asoke near Soi Cowboy 16 baht.  

yeah try and do 3 months or so with just a carry on bag. I've done that rail link a few times with a carry on and a huge rolling suitcase.  Just hit and end zone in a corner or next to the doors can be ok.  It's usually no problem. Nothing like the Skytrain from Thong lor to Siam paragon on a Saturday :)