Billy69

Hi guys,,,

I hope someone can explain this shit about travel insurance..I been buying one for the last few years but few things are I'm not sure about...

Most of the policies come with   medical cover BUT NOT with  Personal Accident or Hospital Benefit...WTF .

Only reason I want a travel insurance is mainly for Accident and  Hospital Benefit....So  what is the medical cover is  for ??!!  just if you fall ill and that's it..???!!

Or is it the catch  travel insurance companies using not to pay ???

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Billy69 said:

medical cover BUT NOT with  Personal Accident or Hospital Benefit...WTF

I am not sure but maybe it means it won't cover you if you injure another person and also won't pay you a daily allowance while in hospital.  I used Multi trip and they were great when I had to stay in hospital for 4 nights a few years back.

https://www.multitrip.com/IE/Home/

• Upvote 1

Thanx for bringing the subject up Billy, I have been wondering about this for a while as I usually get my insurance from NET FLIGHTS when I book my Flight with them but it is a different company and would be a pain in the arse if I or my Dad needed to contact them if anything happened to me.

I bought a 12 month multi-trip insurance from Adsa last November but that will run out this November in the middle of my trip.

I am very interested in the one you used BB because its on offer to UK residents and we now know it works after your unfortunate stay in a Pattaya Hospital, could you please tell me how much it cost mate? as I have tried for a quote but the start date only goes up to this July at the moment :drinks:

1 hour ago, duke007 said:

I am very interested in the one you used BB because its on offer to UK residents and we now know it works after your unfortunate stay in a Pattaya Hospital, could you please tell me how much it cost mate?

I managed to get the Backpacker one policy the time I broke my arm as I was under the age limit, think it is 49 years old or under, and was about 180 euro for 4 months.  I got a month's policy back in January for both Earn and myself and it was 84 euro for the Premium Plus policy,(think this was a special offer mind, prob usually about 100 ish E)  

Anyway to answer your question I asked for a quick quote for a month just now and then I clicked Excess Waiver which added a little bit more to the total..  Here are the prices for with and without excess.  These are worldwide excluding Usa/Canada.  Premier Plus looks like a no brainer.

multiexcess.JPG

multi.JPG

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, bumblebee said:

Anyway to answer your question I asked for a quick quote for a month just now and then I clicked Excess Waiver which added a little bit more to the total..  Here are the prices for with and without excess.  These are worldwide excluding Usa/Canada.  Premier Plus looks like a no brainer.

Cheers BB, much appreciated mate :drinks:

This will certainly save me a lot of time searching through the various websites and companies who supply Insurance, the funny thing is that I have never seen this website before :unsure:

Like you say its a no brainer....cheap as chips, thanx again pal :good:

Just another word of advice, be sure to do some background check on the company you go with for your trip insurance - there will likely be some comments re: difficulty of making claims, customer service etc. It's better to pay slightly more for a reliable easy to deal with insurance company rather than one that will give hassles regarding claims.

It's also a good idea to clarify what they cover - what they mean by basic, etc.

Ok .guys... moneysupermarket's own travel insurance is looking good ..Just spoken to them asking about Accident n Hospital Benefit ..what hey are saying is as long as your accident is not related to the any existing medical condition that you haven't declared you are  covered ..

And price is looking good well...

0000a.jpg

On 4/16/2017 at 0:31 AM, globetrotter said:

do u know if it is only for u European folk? 

Here's something that's for Americans and Canadians. Medjet is not traditional medical coverage that will pay for your expenses at Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital.

Rather it's designed to get you back home ASAP to the hospital of your choice.

It might be suitable for guys who don't want to use hospitals in developing countries due to either quality or cost and want to be back home supposedly with no questions asked, or that's what the website says. Use due diligence.

Info About Medjet

I guess you really never know how good your coverage is until you need it.  Back on my first trips I lacked a lot of intestinal fortitude and naively went without any coverage.  Then I saw a news magazine show about people who had travelled specifically to Thailand and were injured and their insurance didn't cover them for various reasons.  A few of the things they did such as riding motor scooters I had done plenty of times.  So I started researching companies.  I was talking to a girl I worked with and she mentioned how her sister broke her leg while travelling and her insurance company (World Nomads) was great about it.  

I started using them and about 15 policy's in I had my first claim and it was a big one. I was travelling in North America which along with Japan are the highest rates through World Nomads.  Anyway I had these stomach pains that would subside but each episode was getting longer.  After one kept me up in pain all night I went to the emergency room.  They knew something was up because I was turning yellow (early jaundice) from liver, I was admitted and had to have two surgeries for gallbladder removal.  Emergency room, and 5 nights later I was discharged with a $93,000 bill.  They were after my insurance company while I was still in hospital high off my ass on pain killers.  My flight back to Australia was in 6 days after I was discharged and the Dr. didn't recommend me taking it. I didn't want to test my insurance on rescheduling and staying later.  On my return the insurance company was contacting me about the claim.  The hospital offered them to pay $55,000 within 2 weeks and the World Nomads jumped on that.  My only cost was a $100 deductible. My pain killers after discharge were more than that and that was part of the claim.  Needless to say I have kept using them.  

I like the piece of mind I get through them, and wouldn't travel without.  They also allow multiple trips on same policy if it's to my advantage which I've done a few times now when I have multiple trips within a short period of time. Like always when I return they send me an email asking if I have any claims.  I've heard of problems with travel insurance through a credit card that a trip was paid for and I wouldn't rely on that alone ever now.  Policies aren't that much really when you look at the consequences.  With World Nomads you can take up to a year insurance out.  The longest policy I did was 7 months and the policy was around $500 AUD.  I'm sure there are plenty of good one's out there, but I'm going with the one that has proved itself to me. 

My last trip I extended my stay by 8 days. I went online through their site and extended my date by the 8 days and it was done at no extra charge, which was a relief after paying the change of air ticket costs.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

• 1 year later...

I'm not sure I can tell you a good one but here is what I found in searches before my almost five month trip. I always enter the cost of the trip as zero (or $1 if some real number is needed). I take my chances on my flights working OK and just get health insurance. It used to keep the prices way down.

The past few years I used Allianz which cost <US$100 for my several month stays. This year Allianz was over $500. The only company I could still get under $500 was  https://www.travelexinsurance.com/  Which was still below $100. So I bought that as it was going to be that or nothing.

Hopefully you can find a better deal somewhere else than the US?

Something that might effect you is I once called Allianz after I had already flown to SFO as I forgot to buy my travel insurance ahead of time. They would not sell me a policy because my trip had already begun.

FWIW

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

Can anyone recommend good travel insurance for Americans?

If you are not a US resident this will impact where you can apply from. Do you still have a US address? If so you can do the same as xyzzy. If you have Thailand as a residence, then you will have to buy your travel insurance from a Thai based insurance company (can be an international one like Allianz, Zurich, but with a Thai branch office).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rxpharm said:

Do you still have a US address?

I am asking for a good buddy of mine.

He will be in Thailand and another Southeast Asian country between 90 and 120 days.

He doesn't care about the luggage, missed flights etc.

But is concerned about medical coverage for emergencies and medical evacuation.

I can't really think of a situation that couldn't be handled by a good Thai hospital that would require Med evac though.