AIS's new dirty trick

This is only relevant for people on long stays. I've had a monthly prepaid data plan (mao mao 450) for a long time now. The way it works is that if you have sufficient credit the plan will automatically renew and if you don't you're just cut off from your data-plan. Not anymore.

This month, although my balance was enough for the plan to renew AIS started charging me 50baht a day for data and before I realized it drained half my credit. When I went to the AIS office the girl explained that they changed it so that the plan automatically renews only for three months and after that they resort to daily charges unless you call them or go to their office to reinstate it. Cheeky bastards. fyi

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the heads up 360!

My data plan (199 baht per month plus tax for 1GB of data, just a backup plan for when wifi is not available) just renewed for the 3rd time (I started in Oct, and automatically renewed in Nov, Dec, and Feb).

So will see what happens in March.

Many AIS messages are in English but got the following in Thai today that looks like if I do nothing they will charge me for stuff I don't want next month:

ดูวีดีโอฟรี และฟังเพลงไม่อั้นในเดือนหน้า เพียงเติมเงินสะสมครบ 150 บาท ภายใน 14/03/2560

Google translate:

Watch Free Video and Music Unlimited next month. Just add money accumulated 150 baht on 14/03/2560.

1 hour ago, Pdoggg said:

Thanks for the heads up 360!

My data plan (199 baht per month plus tax for 1GB of data, just a backup plan for when wifi is not available) just renewed for the 3rd time (I started in Oct, and automatically renewed in Nov, Dec, and Feb).

So will see what happens in March.

Many AIS messages are in English but got the following in Thai today that looks like if I do nothing they will charge me for stuff I don't want next month:

ดูวีดีโอฟรี และฟังเพลงไม่อั้นในเดือนหน้า เพียงเติมเงินสะสมครบ 150 บาท ภายใน 14/03/2560

Google translate:

Watch Free Video and Music Unlimited next month. Just add money accumulated 150 baht on 14/03/2560.

I get offers from AIS all the time and I don't think they automatically sign you up. But I guess you never know.

I have an AIS weekly data plan that I must manually renew. If I forget to renew I still get data but at apparently a much higher cost (probably faster data speed). I need to switch to a data plan that auto renews and then turn it off when I leave Thailand. I think *129*1# turns AIS data service off.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

They keep trying to renew my 199 baht plus VAT monthly plan past 3 months but no money comes out and it doesn't renew unless I have enough money.

When I signed up at the AIS store at Central they said they could set it up for auto renew if I wanted it that way. But now that I know a bit about the codes, I rather just do it myself.

That plan which only gave 1GB for a month is only suitable for guys who want a backup if their WiFi in their room goes down or is slow or if they want to occasionally be connected anywhere at a moments notice occassuonally.

Despite your warning 360, I just got caught up in some unwanted charges, not many baths but still annoying.

I thought this would be a good thread to share the best deals.

Note these deals may not be permanent offers and might possibly be only offered to selected subscribers, but worth a shot.

Good 1-2-Call (AIS) Deals 

99 baht plus VAT for 5GB for 7 days. Pretty sure if u pay at say 5pm, it will expire at 5pm 7 days later. Hard to use up 5GB in this time frame for most guys unless you are downloading torrents or doing other data intensive stuff.

*777*7069# and then press Call

---------------------

150 baht plus VAT for 4GB for 10 days. This is not as good as the deal above but maybe will last longer or good for a guy who is just staying 10 days longer

*777*7030# and press Call

For a backup plan for light users, 99 baht, 1GB for 15 days.

*777*782# and press Call.

Not sure how long these codes are good for and if they are available for everyone.

Guys, if you know of good deals for AIS, DTAC, or True then post them here.

I have bought a monthly option at the DTAC counter in Tuk Com on my last two visits, paid about 700 baht for 4.5GB which included 200 baht worth of calls and messaging, I never bothered using the WiFi to save Data and everything was fine, they also do weekly options.

This is more of a heads up for guys on their holidays and not ex pats :hi:

• Upvote 1

• 11 months later...
20 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

I just stumbled across this website where u can topup online.

http://mobiletopup.com/

It might be useful if u want to topup when outside of Thailand.

You can't top up AIS at 7/11 anymore but Famiy Mart and Tesco Express isOK>

I couldn't figure out the fee they charge but it's probably there somewhere if you actually are close to finishing their payment process.

On 3/15/2018 at 3:51 PM, xyzzy said:

I couldn't figure out the fee they charge but it's probably there somewhere if you actually are close to finishing their payment process.

I've never used it but my guess is that the fees are minimal.  

I think it is designed for people in Thailand as probably not too many people want to top up abroad.

Besides the free topups at Family Mart, Tesco Express, and 7/11 (can't topup AIS at 7/11) I've seen topup machines and the fee is only 3 baht.

Btw, Nancy is not inside the topup machine. 

• 1 month later...

AIS has some good internet add ons.  Lots of different plans depending on your needs.

If you are living in a place with no internet or very poor internet you can buy an add on for your phone, and use that phone as a Mobile Hotspot to power your other devices. 

One good plan if you have a 4G phone and Sim is unlimited internet with a max download speed of 6Mbps.  This is fast enough for very good video streaming.   550 baht plus tax coming out to about 590 baht per month. *777*7211# . If your phone or Sim is 3G though I think the speed is only 4Mbps so getting a 6Mbps plan is a waste of money.

If your phone or Sim is 3G then there is a plan with unlimited internet and a download speed of 4Mbps which is also good enough for video streaming. *777*7155# 450 baht plus tax.  

If you have pretty good wifi in your room then a plan which gives you 2GB of data valid for 30 days might fit the bill. This should be enough for when you are out and about and also as a backup if the wifi in your room craps out. 239 baht plus tax.  So if you are at a place with wifi, then just turn off your Mobile Data and connect to the place's Wifi.    *777*75#

For most guys,  if the internet in your room is OK and you generally frequent bars and restaurants that have wifi, AIS has a great daily plan that gives you 500 MB of data good for 24 hours. Taking the Bell Bus to Swampy?  This package should give you enough data for the trip and airport useage.   *777*7026# . Just 19 baht plus tax.   Very useful on an adhoc basis.

The thing to be careful about with all the plans is that if you use up your data or time validity you get charged at regular rates which are quite high.

There might be some better plans that might fit your length of stay better.

http://www.ais.co.th/one-2-call/addon/en/nonstop.html

http://www.ais.co.th/one-2-call/addon/en/maxspeed.html

I suppose True and DTAC have similar plans but I don't know much about them.

Anyone have other favorite data add ons?

I was using the 512k unlimited 15 day plan until I discovered the page you posted in the first link and saw the 1M 30 day plan which is cheaper. The internet went out at my hotel for a few days and 512k, with low latency times like AIS has, actually worked pretty well using my phone as a hot spot/tether. Decent on the forums and I could stream music.  But I did switch to the 4M unlimited plan for a week for video until the internet was repaired.

• Like 1