Cobra Gold

Pdoggg

Year back, guys would complain on the str8 forums that it wasn't easy for the old farts to compete with the young Yank servicemen for hearts of Thai ladies.

Cobra Gold 2017, the 36th iteration of the military exercise, is officially taking place from February 14 to 24, according to a statement released by the U.S. embassy in Bangkok. The opening ceremony was held in Sattahip Royal Thai Marine Corps Base in Chonburi Province.

This year, the United States will have approximately 3,600 personnel from the U.S. Army, U.S. Navy. U.S. Marine Corps, and the U.S. Air Force directly participating in the various events, according to the U.S. Pacific Command.

http://thediplomat.com/2017/02/us-thailand-to-launch-2017-cobra-gold-military-exercises/

In my very early days of visiting Pattaya (late 80's) I recall at least two US aircraft carriers and their group of ships anchoring in Pattaya Bay for the best part of a week. In 1989 it was the USS Enterprise with a ships company of approximately  5000 men along with sailors from other ships in the carrier group meant around 6-8000 horny guys were ashore at any given time. Pattaya was a lot smaller back in those days and girls would come to town by the bus load from Bangkok and the provinces.

The atmosphere at night around the beer bars and GoGo's was amazing, hardly any trouble, just thousands of young guys throwing their money around and enjoying themselves following weeks at sea without female company.

As tourists we were encouraged to take a ferry ride out to the carrier and have a look on board while interacting with the crew enjoying a few beers for a couple of hours.......those were great times which I thoroughly enjoyed, especially as I'd not too many years previously, completed my time in the British Army.

I also remember the Cunard QE 2  anchored off Pattaya in 1987 during its round the world cruise. The luxury cruise liners don't bother with Pattaya anymore.

• Upvote 1

A lot of the sailors do/did have Cinderella liberty. Meaning they had to be back to the ship by midnight. I never had any problems during past Cobra Gold events. And chatted with a few of the guys over the years,

I had an older friend, that passed away a couple of years ago, and any time I mention Thailand he would break out in a smile. As a young sailor he visited Thailand and loved it. And it had very little to do with sex.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

A fight at the weekend in Pattaya between an American Soldier and a group of Thai vendors allegedly trying to sell fake watches is gaining renewed interest online.

Facebook user Julie Wolstencroft recorded the fight, which took place on Sunday at about 5pm, and then posted the video on her wall.

The 1.41minute clip showed a foreign man wearing a white Tshirt throwing punches amid a group of Thai men. The fight seemed to end after the foreign man’s friends pulled him away.

However, the Thais followed the foreigners and the exchange of punches resumed until a policeman was alerted and went to the scene.

Before the officer arrived, some Thais and foreigners appeared to try to stop the encounter while others just watched. Some foreigners were also seen in the video running away from the scene.

The video showed a Thai man suffering from a nose bleeding. The police officer then talked to both sides and took them to a police station in the vicinity.

Reportedly the foreign man is an American soldier who was attending the Cobra Gold military exercise and enjoying a break with friends in Pattaya.

Apparently a Thai vendor insistently tried to sell the man a fake watch, which was refused, leading to a loud argument. The vendor reportedly threw the first punch, leading the American to fight back and the vendor’s friends joining the fracas.

It was unclear on Tuesday whether any charges had been filed or if anyone was injured.

Watch the video : Julie Wolstencroft's Facebook

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30339789

• 4 years later...

An American soldier attending the annual Cobra Gold war game in Thailand reportedly hit his head after slipping in a bathroom and died.
Thai media reported that an unidentified American soldier was found dead in a bathroom in the 31st Infantry Regiment in Lop Buri province around 9:40 AM on Tuesday, February 28th.

The authorities rushed to the army camp to find the deceased soldier lying in a pool of blood inside the bathroom. According to a preliminary check, the soldier sustained a wound on his head. The victim was believed to have slipped and hit his head on the ground while bathing, Thai media reported. The exact cause of death, however, is still waiting to be confirmed by the autopsy team.  The fallen soldier is one of the 6,000 American soldiers practicing in the ongoing Cobra Gold 2023. The massive annual military exercise will run until March 10.

https://thepattayanews.com/2023/03/02/american-soldier-reportedly-slips-in-bathroom-and-dies-during-cobra-gold-military-exercise-in-thailand/