What technology do you travel with?

bumblebee

My upcoming trip will be the first one in 11 years where I won't be dragging a laptop with me.  My 2 devices of choice this time will be an iPad and a Samsung phone.  They should cover most of my online access needs while travelling.

I plan to use the phone as a wifi hotspot for the Ipad while in the sticks, mind blowing stuff to me at least if you had told me about this 11 years ago.  I can also upload photos from my camera to the phone/iPad by wifi, using the Fuji app, so again no need for the SD slot of a laptop.

Actually as a sub topic has the laptop as we know it had its day, and do you still travel with one?

I still carry my thin 14" laptop. My passport and documents are all in the laptop case front pouch. Cheap Samsung phone for pictures. I have my camera also but probably will leave it at home next time as I care little about photography these days.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, BigTel said:

I just take my phone, it has enough tech on board for all the things I need whilst on a trip, I went for a 23 mp sony camera built in so there is no longer any need to take a separate camera along with me.

The good smartphones today certainly appear to be having a serious effect on the point & shot camera market.  

I wonder have any of our members bought a basic P & S recently or are they going the way of the dodo and perhaps the laptop to a lesser extent.

Never quite caught up with the modern world.  I have a dumb phone (for making telephone calls), a notebook (with actual pages in it for writing on) and a couple of biros (ball point pens). Security and theft become less of a problem.

If I got really desperate there is always an internet cafe.

• Upvote 2

I travel with an 8 year old Lenovo X200 Thinkpad laptop

0_1425_sz_1_i_188240_02.jpg

At 2.95 lbs, and a 12 inch screen it is fairly portable, has good battery life about 3.5 hours with the standard 4 cell battery and over 9 hours with the 9 cell battery. It's powerful enough for video editing, photo editing using Adobe Photoshop, has one of the best keyboards for laptops. I bought mine used for $200 CAD, and it runs on Windows 7 fine, and is compatible with Windows 10. I would highly recommend this if you need more than a tablet and don't want to spend a lot on the latest and greatest CPU. The one thing it doesn't do well is gaming. It's below average for that, but I don't mind since I am not a gamer.

I bought a smart phone just a couple of years ago a Blackberry Q10. Since they aren't popular anymore it only cost $200 CAD, and is not a target for theft.

Q10_White_Front.jpg

So, it isn't necessary to buy the latest and greatest if you want tech that works. Something a few years old can do a great job and saves you a ton of $$$.

If I am in a remote area that has no wifi, I have a mobile wifi stick

huawei_e355_mobile_wifi_modem_router_4_.

You just buy a sim card specifically for data and top up what you need for your stay. If not going to a remote spot, I use the wifi at the hotels I stay at, which give good internet speeds.

The mobile wifi stick gives speeds slower than wifi, but faster than using a phone as a hotspot.

• Upvote 2

been using A cer Netbooks since 2007. I like to have a good amount on the HD. Got all my music, 3 USB ports for external HD, trackball, and a keyboard if I want. One altec lansing is good enough for sound. Gave up on any "stereo" speakers, too big, too much cord. No matter how carefully I stow it, anything with a cord seems to get unwound and wrap around stuff in the bag. I DID bring along my LG Fuel cheapie smartphone, can't use it as a phone but I played with it connecting to wifi a time or two. Was given a True CHEAPIE (200 baht I think they are) which allowed  me to make calls for a few weeks before it needed topping up. Prolly keep that for future use but it's the first trip in 9 since 2007 that I even HAD a phone with me. Magic Jack lets me call home, like I paid my auto insurance calling them on MJ.  I LOATHE "typing" on a tiny touch smartphone. I also run Linux LxPup on the Acers as the browsing speed is MUCH faster, especially with the recent Acer being loaded with Windows 7, which I  HATE and which runs like a sloth on a netbook with Atom 1.6 processor. I'd never go with the cloud. Many times I could not get connections so I'd just break out an external with a terabyte of movies or TV shows. I will NEVER go tablet or cloud. And even home don't use my smart phone for much but a PHONE. Netbook is like Rx's solution, just  a few pounds, 11 " screen, put it in a small bag and I'm good. I just can't deal with a tiny screen, like looking at pictures even. Movies? inconcievable!

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
On 1/9/2017 at 11:40 PM, bumblebee said:

I plan to use the phone as a wifi hotspot for the Ipad while in the sticks,

I found this particularly useful when travelling about.  Sitting on a bus for a few hours or so I was able to turn on the wifi hotspot on the phone, tether it to the iPad, stick it back in my pocket and surf the net on my tablet while rural Thailand whizzed by.  Certainly killed the hours.  

• 2 years later...

I travel with a Samsung A7 (purchased last year) and an old Lenovo tab that I connect to hotel WIFIs. I also carry a bridge camera. In my bad days, I prefer to use the Samsung camera for the quality of the pics, but the bridge is good to make photos and videos at night. I have no connection to transfer pics except copying micro SD cards into my tab. 

But the most important for me are Apps in both my tab and smartphone. I use an app to make hotel reservations (a branch company of Agoda). I needn't look for girlfriendly ladyboyfriendly hotels in website. In Thailand hotels who don't accept ladyboys are very rare. In Vietnam, no one will be able to tell me whet hotel is ladyboyfriendly. I am the only one to decide and make decisions. I also uploaded a few secret apps. I don't know how I would do it without these apps in Vietnam. I am now looking for new ones. I can't imagine I could be mongering without using 4G technology. I don't define myself as a monger2.0 but as a 4G monger. Those who can't are prisoners of bars to find ladyboys (and a few bar owners still try to drive mongers2.0 to their bars). The world has evolved since the 1960s.

• Like 2