Budget Allocation

Pdoggg

In recent years my budget allocation has really changed.  Back a few years ago, I would spend more in bars and lived in a relatively cheap room while nowadays I much prefer springing on a good room and not going out to the bars that much.  Has your budget allocation changed over the years is is it mostly the same as when you first started going to Thailand?

My budget has changed dramatically over the years and scaling back on accommodation costs were the first major casualty , barfines and unnecessary lady drinks the second .

When I first started going to Thailand the exchange rate was 70+ Baht to the pound and I didn't have to worry about budget so hence I didn't even think about splashing out   1200 Baht a night for a nice hotel in Pattaya and 2000 in Bangkok .

That happy state of affairs slowly but gradually slipped away over the years with the pound constantly weakening whilst at the same time a lot of things in Thailand seemed to get more expensive so if I wanted to holiday there 2/3 times a year I had to cut back , so in 2010 I decided to cut to 400/500 baht a night accommodation  and I had to be more careful with other expenses .

I didn't enjoy things any less and still did the same things I always did I was just more careful , if it ever came to the point that I had to watch every Baht then I'd just simply stop going no point in going there to sit in my room if I'm on holiday .

I can't see me ringing too many bells in the future unless I hire a bicycle 

• Upvote 2

Because I mostly took 4 to 5 month long trips I stuck to a strict-ish budget with the odd splash out night from time to time.  Like Jimslim notes the decline in the exchange rate had an effect also.  10 years ago the Euro hovered round the 50 B mark, think now it's down to 37/38 or so, so over the years I just took it a tad easier to cut back on the spending.  However with a short-ish trip coming up very soon, I can relax a bit more and not be too concerned about my budget, happy days for 3 plus weeks.

I stayed there last trip , not too bad sort of close to everything ,I didnt do breakfast at the hotel. and the mini van from bkk stops about 3 hundred meters away so that ok.for me the theme rooms need a makeover and the indoor pool was good with a cutie in tow but it should be opened longer (pool ).

As far as budget , well I am on one so I look for a cheap to mid rang hotel and pay the full amount before I get there and never use the mini bar so no hidden extras as I check out .It works for me.

• Upvote 1

my budget is usually for almost 4 months, so strict and not much ladyboy action. Tho I now have a "wife" in Udon and a family adopted me (they needed a second crazy uncle apparently, to keep the first one busy?) so I stay most of my time there rent free. I spose in a way my budget for chasing ladyboys has improved.

• 2 weeks later...