Relaxing Non LB Bars.

bumblebee

New Plaza is laid back and cheap. Lots of expats go there which I think keeps the mood a bit more mellow. It's their everyday watering hole.

With the success of Scooters Bars (now three with one on Soi 6) copy cats are starting to appear. There are two on Soi LK Metro. One is called Cafe Racer, Wheel of Death (or something like that) and seems to be quite popular. The other is Motown Sounds (that might be off a little but it's Motown something). Motown doesn't seem to have a lot of customers. I was hanging out with an English fellow in his 50s some and he had migrated to Cafe Racer from Scooters.

I can't stand much of the live music played in Pattaya. Even though favorites from my past there is a limit to how many times I can listen to Smoke on the Hotel Califirnia :biggrin: in a bad accent.The band that plays a couple of bars down toward 2nd Road from 69 Bar is pretty good. They are metal and hard rock. Quite often you can hear them a bit while in 69.

I don't drink during the day unless I plan a trip to Soi 6 in the afternoon. So I'm not so good with daytime venues.

• Upvote 2

It would be Scooters for me, the one on Buakhao for the new big TV screen they put up last month so you can watch the video's to go with the great music and the Scooters on soi 6 for a drink and chill in the afternoon whether before or after you decide on a S/T, note the Scooters on LK Metro does not open until 5pm

Another place I would go is the Marquee on Buakhao, the owner was an ex partner of Scooters and the bar is very much the same with memorabilia and the music they play, you can even get a samgson and soda there for 35 baht :good:

Sat on the front of Hooters during happy hours (2-6pm) people watching appeals to me too

I am done with the Pattaya Beer Garden, it has lost a lot of its ambience imho and I only ventured there once on my 4 week trip, the cheerful service and food aren't up to what they used to be either...again imho

Never got to try the Wall of Death last trip but will hope to try it next time, heard good things about the bar from Essex Boy :biggrin:

37 minutes ago, duke007 said:

I am done with the Pattaya Beer Garden, it has lost a lot of its ambience imho and I only ventured there once on my 4 week trip, the cheerful service and food aren't up to what they used to be either...again imho

Shame to hear.  Have they changed the managers or something?  

ya I went  to the Hooters  for happy hour too 99 baht for bottled  beer,  nice patio and you can say that u have  been to the biggest Hooters  in the world,  also went to PBG a few times and I still really enjoy it but just  for  a few drafts  and the views as the food is pretty pricey,  it's still my go to bar to bring dates for a few drinks and a bit of lomance before heading back to loom :) 

• Upvote 1

The best relaxing bar IMHO is Hideaway Guesthouse and Bar. They only have a few food items but it's a very laid back place to relax for a few drinks with friends and/or dates. Andy, the owner, and all of the staff are friendly and hospitable. They make great espresso drinks too.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, bumblebee said:

Shame to hear.  Have they changed the managers or something?  

6 hours ago, duke007 said:

No idea BB, but it is not the same buzz for me these days thats for sure

The Managers are all the same crew BB, it's just as Dave said it just doesn't have the same buzz that was the magnet for me on many many trips before. I lasted a week into my four weeks trip this time and never went back. Very difficult to pinpoint exactly what it is but suffice to say the enjoyment for me of going there is over.

• Upvote 1

Some good tips there chaps, and with the PBG not getting good reviews I may have to pop in and check out some of the venues mentioned when passing.  Never been a huge fan of soi 6 but with Scooters sounding promising it may be a good location for relaxing while watching the comings and goings there.  Which end of the soi is it?

4 minutes ago, bumblebee said:

Never been a huge fan of soi 6 but with Scooters sounding promising it may be a good location for relaxing while watching the comings and goings there.  Which end of the soi is it?

Coming up from Beach Road its on the left hand side next door to Whiskey Bar and directly opposite Lucky Love Bar, not far up basically and before you hit the main ladyboy bars on the right hand side

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, duke007 said:

Coming up from Beach Road its on the left hand side next door to Whiskey Bar and directly opposite Lucky Love Bar, not far up basically and before you hit the main ladyboy bars on the right hand side

Sound an ideal location for a stop off on my way back from an afternoon out Naklua way.

23 hours ago, duke007 said:

Marquee

Duke where is Marquee? I have to be walking past it several times daily.

On 12/17/2016 at 2:24 PM, xyzzy said:

With the success of Scooters Bars (now three with one on Soi 6) copy cats are starting to appear. There are two on Soi LK Metro. One is called Cafe Racer, Wheel of Death (or something like that) and seems to be quite popular. The other is Motown Sounds (that might be off a little but it's Motown something).

Some pictures:

Cafe Racer.jpg

Motown.jpg

• Upvote 2

Music is an important element to a bar.

Ideally you want good speakers playing music you like from the proper audio file at the proper volume. 

For me, if the other ingredients are in place it's OK if the music is loud.  I was with one buddy in Bacarat which may have the best sound system in Pattya, and he was tapping his foot to mucic he claims to hate because it sounded so good as the half naked ladies were dancing.

I went to Marquee last night and stopped in and had a beer. Nice bar, sort of a double wide Scooters open on three sides, with a little bit of rail seating along Soi Buakhao. While they play classic Stones, etc they also played a Garbage song and some reggae band I didn't know. So the music can be slightly more contemporary relatively speaking which is OK with me. The volume was a notch or two below Scooters which I liked. They were showing videos and no football. Lots of customers at 10 PM. Perhaps just a bit off my normal walking route to be a regular stop for me.

• Upvote 2