Baht Bus Fares Might Be Going Up

Pdoggg

5 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

There are rumors that Pattaya Baht Bus fares will rise to 20 baht on January 1st.

At one time they charged 10 baht for farang but only 5 baht for Thais.

If this fare increase is implemented, it will be interesting to see if Thais only pay 10 baht.

Everything I've seen (but none official) says it will be 10 baht for Thais and 20 baht for farangs. Although for a topic that is getting a lot of play on some forums there is no official notice yet.

• Upvote 1

I recently got a baht bus from Pattaya Bus Station at a cost of 50 baht with other passengers and their luggage, the driver dropped us off at our various hotels, he had it all in his head for the drop-offs and it did not take that long for me to get off at mine, the service was quick and efficient and well worth the 50 baht imho, however there was one Thai woman who complained and just payed the basic 10 baht fare :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, duke007 said:

I recently got a baht bus from Pattaya Bus Station at a cost of 50 baht with other passengers and their luggage, the driver dropped us off at our various hotels, he had it all in his head for the drop-offs and it did not take that long for me to get off at mine, the service was quick and efficient and well worth the 50 baht imho, however there was one Thai woman who complained and just payed the basic 10 baht fare :biggrin:

I took that service as well from the bus station. I had never taken it before. A motorbike taxi wanted to take me and a huge bag for 80 baht. I couldn't see riding on the back of a bike with him, that big bag and back pack on me.  I then saw the pick up truck buses they were grouping people together by where they were going.  My bus was quite full and I was one of the last stops.  the ride was pretty uncomfortable compared to the 182 baht ride down from Ekkami station in BKK. 

I took the bus back to BKK. I had to get an empty baht bus so it was 200 baht.  Then just 182 station back to Ekkami.  The alternative is booking a taxi for 1000 baht. I was trying to save baht were I could with a long stay.  

I wonder if the rate to hire the whole bus to take to specific destination will go up as well.  Our posse hired these a couple times. Once 6 of us took it out to Jomtien to go to T.J.'s for 200 baht which was quite handy.

• 3 weeks later...

The Pattaya Bus Station is not the easiest place to get to.

One way is to get yourself to Pattaya North Road and then take a blue baht bus up there.  The baht bus queued at Dolphin Roundabout can take along time to load up though.

Or you can get to Sukhumvit and take a white baht bus to Pattaya North Road right near the bus station.

Not sure if the price is going up for the white busses which has a 95% Thai ridership.

Last time I went to Pattaya I took the Jomtien Bus to Suvanaphumi which is 120 baht and then the airport rail link into Bangkok. I really like this way as you won't be sitting in traffic but not that great if u have lots of luggage. Coming back I took the bus from Ekkami as I was in that neighborhood anyway.

Always thought 10 baht was a real bargain for the baht bus, but at 20 baht I may have to pee in my pants twice at a bar with 5 baht bogs to make up for the difference to stay within my expat budget. :db:

Seriously, just a bit more likely to walk in situations where I can either walk or ride the bus.

I just took a glance at a variety of forums and it seems guys don't seem to mind the 20 baht but resent the dual pricing especially if you are paying for a Thai and yourself and therefore expected to pay 40 baht.

Not a big deal compared to all other expenses, but the double pricing is a real sore spot with lots of guys.

Where I am right now it's 40 baht for a banana pancake but my teerak only has to pay 20, so she buys them for me. Delicious with banana on the inside and chocolate on the outside and I can put in the fridge and microwave for brekkie.

So what do you guys think of double pricing,

Sore spot or why sweat the small stuff?

Double Pricing is wrong, wrong, wrong!!!.My lady and I went to a waterfall in Petchabun recently, and theofficer charged us both at the local rate, until her assistant said "no, he farang" and they hit some ridiculous figure. I told her to shove her waterfall (I couldn't help myself) so the dual pricing kept a Thai from seeing it too. Rather disappointed that my lady couldn't see my point of view.  I'd also been to a barber who wanted to charge 100 baht for a 50 baht haircut.  I told him I live in Thailand, my hair grows in thailand and he only has to cut that portion off.  His answer: "100 baht".I did not reply - just went elsewhere.

I should write a book, so I'll stop here. As some Aussies might say: fair suck of the sav.

• Upvote 4

Double pricing is wrong but if you consider the average income of a Thai vs a farang 20 baht is probably a lot more to a Thai. But the Thais are just being setup for a 10 baht increase in the future. Just like the 5B/10B scheme ended up going to 10 baht for everyone the same will happen with the 20 baht scheme eventually.

They apparently skipped right over going to 15 baht because the baht bus drivers said it would take too much time to make change.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, dixoncox said:

You're right pdoggg.

There's been much speculation but finally a reasonable source to link to on this subject:

http://www.pattayamail.com/news/army-formalizes-baht-bus-routes-cuts-fares-159701

There are some posts on another board that show the new theoretical baht bus routes. Those maps do not show anything on Soi Buakhao. So that has been the latest topic for debate.

8 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

There are now reports that the Army is ordering the 10 baht fare to stay in effect.

And also ordering that the baht busses run consistent routes.

Guess we will find out soon enough. 

Baht bus drivers might then seek for employment from the army and run even at 5 baht.

at the end of the day they are private enterprises.

maybe it is not a good sign, and doubling  seems a lot, but FFS we talk about a twenty baht ride... 

are we going to see trip cancellations now? 7-11 will then suffer dramatically as probably those cancelling for the baht bus fare increase are their key customers too.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, M1954 said:

And how do they go back to th start of beach road?

Here is the map that saw the light of one day. The yellow zones are suppose to be pickup/drop off areas which were not ready. There were apparently no buses on Buakhao for one day or part of one day. I guess that didn't go over well. Sorry hard to get a lot out of this map. Best I can tell this whole thing has been scrapped per the link provided above by dixoncox.

baht-bus.jpg

baht-bus2.jpg

• Upvote 2

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 5:02 PM, duke007 said:

More than 2 years ago, same scenario with many people on the bus to be transported to their hotels. However, it was 100 baht each. We wuz rubbed.

• Upvote 2

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 4:46 PM, xyzzy said:

Everything I've seen (but none official) says it will be 10 baht for Thais and 20 baht for farangs. Although for a topic that is getting a lot of play on some forums there is no official notice yet.

11 minutes ago, Pugachoff said:

More than 2 years ago, same scenario with many people on the bus to be transported to their hotels. However, it was 100 baht each. We wuz rubbed.

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 10:24 PM, Pdoggg said:

Where I am right now it's 40 baht for a banana pancake but my teerak only has to pay 20, so she buys them for me. Delicious with banana on the inside and chocolate on the outside and I can put in the fridge and microwave for brekkie.

Err! Good one Pdoggg. How's this... On a baht bus once which stopped on Beach Rd. to pick up a young farang with his Thai girlfriend, He got in and motioned to her to run behind. She did for one stop while the rest of the falangs in the bus egged her on with loud cheers. Sorta restored my faith in humanity...lol.. 

• Upvote 1

On 31/12/2016 at 8:18 PM, stoolpusher said:

For me they should have a price for distance  traveled i have gone  1 klm for 10 bhat and about 6 klm for 10 bhat so if we have a price  rise the longer distance would work out ok .

The way they operate can't foresee the distance based fare.

honestly, the price is so cheap that it would not change the life of anyone even if he does in 3-4 steps  the whole leg from one end to thenother of beach road., would be 30/40 bahts.... so what?

20 hours ago, Pugachoff said:

Maybe, but its still cost peanuts..........and I would have quite happily paid 100 baht considering the service and where the Bus station is from where I stay

22 minutes ago, Pugachoff said:

haha I posted that with tongue in cheek... lol.

Yes I know mate by the way you wrote it :good:,  I just wanted to say that 100 baht is still very cheap imho  when you are getting door to door from the Bus station to your loom which is a pain in the ass when carrying luggage, I bit his hand off when he said 50 baht :biggrin:

2 hours ago, duke007 said:

I bit his hand off when he said 50 baht :biggrin:

Sounds similar to the salesman selling me the rucksack in the sports store. Original price 2290 reduced to 1590, I thought I will take it, salesman then says wait a moment i have to check the price, he comes back sorry there was a mistake the price is now 990 Baht :biggrin: I left with the rucksack still chewing on His hand.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, BigTel said:

Sounds similar to the salesman selling me the rucksack in the sports store. Original price 2290 reduced to 1590, I thought I will take it, salesman then says wait a moment i have to check the price, he comes back sorry there was a mistake the price is now 990 Baht :biggrin: I left with the rucksack still chewing on His Hand

Like you do :biggrin:

• Upvote 1