arrive just before midnight but the stamp counts as entire day

JustSumGai

this seems to always result in me getting 29 days. Screwed ouf of a day over 15 mins or so. HOW do they calculate your time arrived? By when the FLIGHT is arriving? or when you step up to Immigration? I seem to recall a member who would hang around a bit to make sure he got stamped IN after midnight. Anyone know about this?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JustSumGai said:

this seems to always result in me getting 29 days. Screwed ouf of a day over 15 mins or so. HOW do they calculate your time arrived? By when the FLIGHT is arriving? or when you step up to Immigration? I seem to recall a member who would hang around a bit to make sure he got stamped IN after midnight. Anyone know about this?

Your arrival date starts when they stamp your passport going through immigration on your arrival and not the time your flight is due to arrive

It would make good sense for you to hang back from going through immigration for a while if you were planning on staying on 30 days and your flight has arrived at something like 11pm for example, so as not to waste a whole day

I know my flight departure in December is at 01-35am, if Immigration took that into account I would be overstaying by a day, but because I will be checking in and being stamped out going through departures before midnight everything is hunky dory

I went through immigration once a few minutes after midnight and they had not changed the date stamp yet. :(  I have no idea when they usually change the stamp.

Also someone on this board once got hit for an extra day because even though he was going through immigration before midnight his flight left after midnight. But I think this is a rare thing. I never head of it happening to anyone else.

yeah, it's bugged me for some time. To start with I'm flying across the Inter'nl Date line so I leave 8am Nov 30. Fly to Houston, then Narita in Tokyo, then into Bkk where I arrive December 1.  JUST before midnight. So in fact I get in go to sleep and wake up on December 2.  It seems typically crooked to stamp me in as arriving December 1 same as some guy who arrived nearly 23 hours earlier than me. So first I get the 12 hour whack from the dateline which leads to the one day whack from Immigration. Not bein able to do anything about the dateline (why is it that I've never seen a flight going EAST when I'm practically on the East Coast of the U.S.?) I figured to try out this hangin back thing. Yeah Duke I've read the same thing about departures like yours on other threads. And xyzzy, USUALLY from what I've read, they let one slide on just one day, presumably because of stuff like you mentioned. Thanks for the info

• Upvote 1

On 20/11/2016 at 3:10 AM, duke007 said:

Your arrival date starts when they stamp your passport going through immigration on your arrival and not the time your flight is due to arrive

It would make good sense for you to hang back from going through immigration for a while if you were planning on staying on 30 days and your flight has arrived at something like 11pm for example, so as not to waste a whole day

I know my flight departure in December is at 01-35am, if Immigration took that into account I would be overstaying by a day, but because I will be checking in and being stamped out going through departures before midnight everything is hunky dory

I can't speak for arrivals because I've hitherto not arrived close to midnight however, for departure I used to frequently depart around 01.30 while going through immigration before midnight, although my passport was stamped the day of flight departure and NOT when the day before.

One time I even paid the overstay because it was my second day over but only by 90 minutes, I thought that was a bit harsh.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, pentire said:

I can't speak for arrivals because I've hitherto not arrived close to midnight however, for departure I used to frequently depart around 01.30 while going through immigration before midnight, although my passport was stamped the day of flight departure and NOT when the day before.

One time I even paid the overstay because it was my second day over but only by 90 minutes, I thought that was a bit harsh.

Yeah, happened to me too.  Passing through immigration at 11pm on the last day of my visa I had to pay one day overstay because my flight departed at 1am.  I tried to explain that once through immigration I wasn't technically in Thailand anymore, but the officer wasn't buying that one.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

My friends flight was scheduled to arrive at 11:45 PM on December 26th.

However the flight was delayed and it landed around 12:45 in the morning.

My friend got stamped on the 27th rather than the 26th.

It would seem to be extra work if Immigration kept track of scheduled arrival times and lots of extra work to keep track of landing time.

Not sure what the official policy is; just reporting on the experience of my friend.