BKK mourning period closings

Gutsy

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/arts/2016/10/14/whats-canceled-closed-open-bangkok-mourning-period/

Looks pretty reasonable to me. Certainly no reason to cancel flts and rooms in my opinion.  I think it will be even less restrictive in Pattaya. I've held off booking accommodation, but with the baht weakening thats a good thing.  

• Upvote 2

Nana closed as expected but will open Monday according to LBs whom i know . CIB open and business as usual ( i just been there.. beer and barfined)

Rajah Complex RIP , its a building site now.

Hooters open as normal but low lights and subdued as are other bars... I think Monday it will all be as normal around Soi4 .. ill update later

• Upvote 4

21 hours ago, Tomcat said:

Nana closed as expected but will open Monday according to LBs whom i know . CIB open and business as usual ( i just been there.. beer and barfined)

Did you see any femboy at CIB? After the Lao girls leaving, I understand that just silicone dolls are there :sorry:

• 2 weeks later...

Flew into BKK last night. Had a glorious run into Nana from the airport. I must have caught every train just as it was about to leave.  Staying on soi 4 Royal Ivory hotel.  I was able to get down to Nana around 10:30.  I noticed that all the Thai or Lao freelancers were wearing black dresses. It made sense but looked strange to see them in what seemed to be a uniform look.

First visit was at Country Roads bar.  The told me they had been closing at midnight and toninight they would. Normally they have live music.  Instead they were playing you tube request like they do between sets and after the bands clear out.  Wasn't to high or low, just about right volume IMO.  I dashed down to NEP about 20 minutes to midnight.  I stopped in Temptations were I struck out with slender girl with big bulge in her panties.  

I checked bin and skipped up to Charades which had just closed. Little cutie sitting at the door named Ein charmed me into taking her.  The only good thing that came about that was I didn't have to pay her bar fine.  We went down to Lucky Lukes to chat a bit.  They were still serving, but you had to pay as you went.  Suckers across the way was still operating normally it looked like.  That is until the BIB made an appearance.  Two of them walked in the entrance. One of them had a camera attached to his helmet.  Suckers got quite.  We left and noticed all the Hillary bars and other bars outside Nana were dark but people still drinking quietly and lots of customers leaving.  There were more freelancers than I remember seeing i the past.  Seems like the BIB are focusing on bars shutdowns instead of freelancers like they used to hassle time to time.

The African FL who used to set up on lower Sukhumvit have now migrated to Soi 4.  Looks like those sweeps of a month or so ago ran them away from Soi 3 to soi 7/1  They weren't dressed in black so they stood out more than ever. The fact they are operating freely should give some comfort to the Lao girls and especially to the Thai girls who still rule the numbers fortunately.  Some real stunners out there ast night.

Made my get away to Pattaya today.

• Upvote 3

Excellent on the ground reporting Gutsy.   :drinks:

The government announced things would be getting pretty much back to normal starting November 14th although it is requested that common sense prevail and to be respectful for one year.  For example, their won't be fireworks on New Year's Eve.

THE MOURNING prohibition on nightlife, festivals, shows and TV soap operas will be lifted on November 14.
The government will not impose any limits on entertainment activities and festivals after the initial 30-day period for mourning the passing of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej, but event and concert organisers should be considerate given the mourning mood of the public, authorities said.

Colonel Taksada Sangkhachan, assistant government spokeswoman, said yesterday the government had resolved to allow the entertainment industry to resume activities because it was one of the drivers of the economy.
The Loy Krathong Festival, Christmas, New Year and Chinese New Year are all impending nationwide celebrations.
If the ban continued, celebrations would be significantly affected, as would the Thai Red Cross fair, the Phi Ta Khon ghost festival as well as multiple concerts, parties, contests and sporting events.

After the weekly Cabinet meeting, Taksada said PM’s Office Minister Suwaphan Tanyuvardhana, who had been assigned to the issue, had met with agencies on October 30 and agreed that entertainment could return to normal on November 14.
National flags will no longer fly at half mast on the same day.

Organisers should ensure that their events complied with laws, regulations, local culture and advice from provincial governors, authorities said.

TV stations could begin normal programming but should also emphasise content that educated the public about the country’s development, she added.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said the government would ask for the cooperation of TV stations to limit boisterous and rude jokes after the first 30 days of mourning.
“We hope they will use polite words,” he said.
Bangkok Governor Aswin Kwanmuang said City Hall would stage Loy Krathong ceremonies with Thai traditions on November 14.

“But there will be no accompanying festivities. There will be no fireworks nor firecrackers,” he said.
Suwanna Jungrungrueng, head of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration’s Environment Department, said Lumpini Park, Vachirabenjatas Park, Phra Nakhon Park, Chatuchak Park, Saranrom Park and 14 other public parks in the capital would be open until midnight on November 14 to allow people to float their decorative krathong to mark the occasion.
Loy Krathong is typically one of Thailand’s most spectacular traditional festivals.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30298919

Central World showing respect even though New Year's is well outside the 30 day window,

BANGKOK — The most popular place to celebrate New Year’s Eve has canceled its big, bright annual party.

CentralWorld will not host its New Year Eve’s countdown party, Parin Malakul Na Ayutthaya of Central Pattana PLC said Wednesday. The event usually draws tens of thousands of revelers who crowd Ratchaprasong intersection to ring in the New Year.

CentralWorld is also joining two other venues – Asiatique The Riverfront and Sathorn Square – in canceling their beer gardens and music performances through the end of November, according to Edmond Neo Kim Soon of Thai Beverage.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/bangkok/2016/11/03/centralworld-cancels-new-year-countdown-party/

A school in Buriram showing respect.

BURIRAM — As cool weather looms over Thailand, a public school in Buriram has confiscated brightly colored children’s jackets for being deemed inappropriate to wear during mourning period.

At the start of the school day Thursday, the director of Nangrong School, Somsak Taemsoaksoong, stood in front of the flagpole and announced that students should not wear brightly colored winter jackets, urging them to opt for black, gray or white ones instead.

Teachers then proceeded to confiscate the sweaters and jackets they deemed too bright. The temperature in Buriram this morning was a relatively chilly 23C.

“We’re not forcing them,” Somsak said when reached for comment. “We’re just asking for cooperation from students. There weren’t many children breaking the rules anyway.”

Somsak also said the teachers already returned the confiscated jackets to students.

“Government officials [like our school staff] have to wear black for a year,” he said. “So if students wear bright colors, it looks kinda off.”

He said the students could go opt to wear ribbons, and school would review impoverished students who may be struggling to buy sombre winter wear on a case-by-case basis.

“Others will think the teachers at this school aren’t educating the students. We need to ingrain teachings about society into the children. Issues relating to the [monarchy] are delicate,” Somsak said.

The school was taking the mourning period very seriously he said.

“We even moved our school sports events and other events to the next semester,” the educator said before ending the call.

According to Prachachat, the students were quite distressed to lose their jackets due to the cold weather. Many did not own multiple warm articles of clothing.

With the official arrival of winter last week, northern parts of Thailand have braced for falling temperatures. In past years, Thais with vulnerable health have become ill and even died due to cold spells.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2016/11/03/buriram-school-seizes-students-colorful-winter-jackets/

Similar has been the case at my school. The kids usually wear orange tshirts for PE (Sports) but since we came back now they have to wear all black. Teachers to wear black for one year.....Thailand is usually such a bright and colourful place so I'm really not down with this current Gothic phase. Hopefully things will begin to ease up after the 14th of Nov.

• Upvote 2

I spent the last few days in BKK.  Nana bars were closing at midnight, however some sudo-alcocarts outside of Nana's entrance. Street vendors are no longer seen on lower Sukhumvit, hover after Soi 7 down to Soi 15 they seemed to be in tact or have moved there. Also saw a couple alco-carts past Soi 15.  

Chaos 9 and Why  Not bar were open past midnight.  Was told by Why Not operator that they were staying open until 2 A.M. and would go later if customers there.  I was at Chaos 9 until the wee hours of the morning three nights in a row.  They were turning off the front lights and closing the curtains after midnight but still had music.

It will be interesting to see what happens after November 14th.  I'll be back in BKK in about 2 weeks time. Hopefully things will be back to normal, but have to say that Why Not and Chaos 9 provided some good late night action in my visits. 

• Upvote 3

One thing I have noticed with the early Nana closings is there are a lot more freelancers on Soi 4.  I think the removal of alcocarts on lower Sukhumvit have contributed to this as well.  They are also coming out earlier I've noticed.  I picked up this one at dusk a few nights ago. 

Natty

IMG_8745.JPG

IMG_8746.JPG

There were plenty of others around to choose from each night.  I would see them working early and then later when I went out. I imagine quite a few Nana girls were hitting Soi 4 after their shortened shift, especially if they didn't get a customer.  I haven't spent much time in Nana bars to gauge the customer impact, however Lucky Luke's, and Big Dogs were packed when I went out around 10:00 o'clock each night on my way to Why Not and Chaos 9 bars which stayed open to the wee hours of the night.  Chaos 9 even had a birthday party for two of the girls on one of the nights.  I think I left at 5:30 that morning.  

• Upvote 2