Alcocart bars to get shutdown next month?

zaronxas

7 minutes ago, globetrotter said:

Funny walked past them plenty of times but never actually  sat down and had a drink,  how do the prices compare to Nana or other soi 4 LB bars ? 

A lot cheaper, but no point in dwelling about it if they are shutting them down...Lol,  but T.I.T so you never know :biggrin:

8 hours ago, zaronxas said:

I heard that the alcocart bars are supposed to get shutdown permanently next month from a ladyboy that works one of them.  Anyone else hear any such rumors?

The alcocarts and the street vendors are suppose to get shutdown. It happened once before to the alcocarts but they eventually came back. But the sidewalk scene never recovered to the level it was 5-6 years ago on lower Suk. One used to be able to walk down the odd soi side of Suk from Soi 3 to Asoke after bar hours and it was wall to wall sidewalk bars with lots of customers. It was still a fun scene the last few years but alas, seemingly like everything, not what it once was IMO.  

• Upvote 1

about dead last time I was there in Jan 2016.  One was setting up lots of som tam stuff and told me they have to LOOK like they are selling food, but apparently there was beer or alco on offer, did not stick around as I saw no ladyboys either. I used to be a regular at the ladyboy one. Starting in 2010 when ThPon I think it was and 5 of us shut down bar by bar and ended up at the alcocarts.  I kept TELLING them is was a lady one we were at :) We did finally get it sorted and moved one down to ladyboy one.  It was still there in Dec 2015 but when I went back to see Lynda, gone. Sad. Jim Beam was 130 baht, decent pour, no barfine. and I used to pay 1000 for a short time.

• 3 weeks later...

I've always enjoyed the late-night alco-cart scene on Sukhumvit.  Over the past 2 or 3 years they have made a bit of a comeback since their glory days prior to the big clamp-down.  The ones bordering the ISIS-controlled territories on the odd-numbered side of the street are no longer that desirable - now populated heavily by Middle Easterners, African prostitutes, etc.  The few on the even-numbered side are more like the good old alco-carts of yore.  The drink prices are good, they often have decent street food available, and freelancers are either helping out with the bar or hanging around in close proximity.  Each time passing through BKK over the past couple of years I've enjoyed drinks and a snack and a take-away LB freelancer.  Often I arrive at the airport late at night, so by the time I've checked into a soi 4 hotel the timing is perfect.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Update:

I spent last week in BKK in the soi 4 area.  The first night I checked into my hotel around 11:00 pm so had time for a couple of beers in Balcony Bar overlooking the entrance to NEP (beers now 90 baht up from their former 69 baht!).  Lights went up at midnight, and people ushered out quickly by 12:25 am.  BIB in obvious attendance.  Since I was tired and figured that was that, I headed for bed.  The next night I was curious about the sidewalk scene after closing time.  Everything buttoned up promptly at 12:30 am, but by 1:00 am ice chests with beers started to discretely appear in front of Stumble Inn, Big Dogs, etc.  100 baht a beer.  And more freelancers started to appear as well, some nice ones too...  Not a huge scene by any means, but at least something to enjoy.  I walked down to Sukhumvit and there were small table set back from the street offering food and drinks, again very discretely.

So, no glittering alcocarts, but at least some late night street scene.  It will be interesting if things get a bit more back to usual after November 14.

• Upvote 2