ALP adopts gay marriage

KenW

At their biennial conference in Sydney yesterday the Australian Labor Party (ALP) adopted as part of their policy platform the right to gay marriage.

What this means is the ALP, the current party of government in Australia, will bring to the House of Representatives early next year a bill to make this law. There will be what they call in Australia a conscience vote, which means those members of the government benches who don't agree with it, don't have to vote for it. The conservative opposition parties will of course oppose it, almost to a man and woman. So it will be a close call as to whether it becomes legislation or not.

However, the time is ripe. If it does not become law in 2012 it will, I would predict, within 5 years. There is that mood about, not only among rank and file ALP members, but from what I'm hearing, within the wider community as well. In fact on the cable tele this morning one journalist pointed to an opinion poll showing 70% approval among Australian electors. In any Westminster system that's a huge majority.

As another journalist quipped: the long jihad in Australia against poofters is drawing to a close.

It will only be the minority rump of bigotry that continues its cacophany of screeching opposition in years to come.

This all has huge implications for LB lovers of course. Especially if that mood for change spreads to other jurisdictions. In countries like Thailand and Vietnam LBs still carry passports marking them as birthed males. Therefore LBs can't marry as normal females. I would not be allowed, by law, to marry one in Aus at the moment, for example. Though I have heard Thailand approves such marriages already (correct me, those in the know, if I'm wrong). However, if one of us from Aus now wanted to marry the LB of our dreams, it won't be long before we can have them come to Aus with the intent of a wedding.

• Upvote 1

Typically the right wing Oz media has been full of headline screeching like "Pulpit-led revolt." Typical of the churches to lead the vanguard wanting to hold us in previous centuries.

What they don't twig to is what the opinion polls are saying: the days of right wing intolerant ignorant bigotry are numbered. History is leaving you behind.

Dare I add this Larry without getting into trouble: it hopefully will help the demise of those endless and needless threads on certain other forums of the "I am not gay" denial variety.