Last minute visa run to Phnom Penh... Help & advice needed

Luung

9 hours ago, Luung said:

Finally.... I forgot the most important question of all... Can I get any Xanax or Valium from either the pharmacies or some little chap running around the streets selling the stuff?

Luung, I would suggest you only buy drugs at U-Care (a chain with stores all over the city and one on the Riverside, or Pharmacie De La Gare (see below screenshot). Pharmacie De La Gare is a reputable and popular pharmacy with expats, and it's well stocked. You will pay a bit more at these pharmacies than the other smaller pharmacies all over the place but you are sure to get quality pharmaceuticals. Cambodia had/has a big problem with counterfeit drugs being sold all over the place. There is very little, if any, pharmacy regulation / enforcement in Cambodia so you have to rely on a pharmacy's desire to maintain a good reputation to ensure the quality of medicine.

I bought and used benzodiazepines, antibiotics, and other medicines at these pharmacies and was very satisfied with the quality.

There are very likely other pharmacies in PP where you can find authentic and less expensive drugs, but I was satisfied with these two. 

PP Pharms.jpg

• Upvote 3

My expat friend always suggests Pharmacie De La Gare.  Pharmacie De La Gare and U-Care are both air conditioned at least duing the day. So their drugs aren't constantly stored at temperatures that might be higher than the recommended maximum temperature for a given drug. rxpharm might comment on how important that is or isn't.

There is a big pharmacy that I sometimes use on the corner of 108 and 13 (Pharmacie Angkor Chey) near the north riverfront. On Street 136 between Street 49 and 51 (I think) there are a bunch of small pharmacies. It used to be called Pharmacy Row or something like that. If you can't find what you looking for at the places listed above that is a possibility. There are small pharmacies here and there around the riverfront area. Check the date code on the product before you pay.

The ATM limit is at least $500, if your debit card can handle that much, at least at Canadia Bank. I usually pull $480 (or $490 if allowed). It is easier to use US$100 bills in PP than it used to be but sometimes it can still be a problem paying with a bill that big. So If I pull $480 I at least get some bills smaller than $US100. I think there is still an ATM or two inside the customs area at the airport. I don't know how much fee your card might charge beyond the $5 ATM fee but if it isn't much I would probably be more inclined to use my card (if you can pull ~$500 at once) than try and find someplace to exchange baht (and take the probable loss on exchange rate). FWIW 

• Upvote 3

On 7/15/2016 at 4:50 AM, Luung said:

Is renting motorbikes safe? i.e. Are they probably going to try to rip me off, are the police going to be all over me? Will there be a good chance that the bike will get knicked?

Are there push bikes for rent?

Most of where you'll want to go will be within walking distance. Tuk Tuks are cheap if you are willing to negotiate. It would seem simpler to not have a bike.

• Upvote 1

Unc,

My advice to you is not to rent a motorbike until you get a really good sense of the lay of the land. Much like you did when you first visited Thailand I suspect. Just go easy like eating chilli for the first time. Little by little. Buy your meds before coming and forget the motorbike for your first visit. I want to read about your wonderful trip to Cambodia not the contrary. Play safe and enjoy.  

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, rxpharm said:

I would caution against buying drugs from street vendors as the odds of getting a counterfeit product or adulterated (not in a good way - contaminated with unwanted products), is much more likely.

While I haven't attempted to buy medication i Cambodia a few forums I've checked indicate that most pharmacies in Cambodia will sell benzodiazepines like Valium, Ativan, Xanax, without prescription.

Thanks for that RX!

I'd caution against street vendors too... I just like like saying arsehole things in my posts

14 hours ago, xyzzy said:

My expat friend always suggests Pharmacie De La Gare.  Pharmacie De La Gare and U-Care are both air conditioned at least duing the day. So their drugs aren't constantly stored at temperatures that might be higher than the recommended maximum temperature for a given drug. rxpharm might comment on how important that is or isn't.

There is a big pharmacy that I sometimes use on the corner of 108 and 13 (Pharmacie Angkor Chey) near the north riverfront. On Street 136 between Street 49 and 51 (I think) there are a bunch of small pharmacies. It used to be called Pharmacy Row or something like that. If you can't find what you looking for at the places listed above that is a possibility. There are small pharmacies here and there around the riverfront area. Check the date code on the product before you pay.

The ATM limit is at least $500, if your debit card can handle that much, at least at Canadia Bank. I usually pull $480 (or $490 if allowed). It is easier to use US$100 bills in PP than it used to be but sometimes it can still be a problem paying with a bill that big. So If I pull $480 I at least get some bills smaller than $US100. I think there is still an ATM or two inside the customs area at the airport. I don't know how much fee your card might charge beyond the $5 ATM fee but if it isn't much I would probably be more inclined to use my card (if you can pull ~$500 at once) than try and find someplace to exchange baht (and take the probable loss on exchange rate). FWIW 

16 hours ago, Sylvester said:

Luung, I would suggest you only buy drugs at U-Care (a chain with stores all over the city and one on the Riverside, or Pharmacie De La Gare (see below screenshot). Pharmacie De La Gare is a reputable and popular pharmacy with expats, and it's well stocked. You will pay a bit more at these pharmacies than the other smaller pharmacies all over the place but you are sure to get quality pharmaceuticals. Cambodia had/has a big problem with counterfeit drugs being sold all over the place. There is very little, if any, pharmacy regulation / enforcement in Cambodia so you have to rely on a pharmacy's desire to maintain a good reputation to ensure the quality of medicine.

I bought and used benzodiazepines, antibiotics, and other medicines at these pharmacies and was very satisfied with the quality.

There are very likely other pharmacies in PP where you can find authentic and less expensive drugs, but I was satisfied with these two. 

PP Pharms.jpg

Excellent replies, lads.... Really informative, good stuff, thanks a million to the pair of you!

11 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

Most of where you'll want to go will be within walking distance. Tuk Tuks are cheap if you are willing to negotiate. It would seem simpler to not have a bike.

You obviously haven't heard about my reputation for getting in fights & slanging matches with cab & tuk tuk drivers, have you PDogg 55555

11 hours ago, SiamSam said:

Unc,

My advice to you is not to rent a motorbike until you get a really good sense of the lay of the land. Much like you did when you first visited Thailand I suspect. Just go easy like eating chilli for the first time. Little by little. Buy your meds before coming and forget the motorbike for your first visit. I want to read about your wonderful trip to Cambodia not the contrary. Play safe and enjoy.  

I love you, Sam... You make almost as much sense as my mum used to!... You're right, I'll stay on foot for this trip & make the time to take a quick visit to my local hospital for some Xanax before I go...

However, I will be having a huge load up at xyzzy & sylvester's recommends, once there... But like you say, don't leave anything to chance on a first trip.

• 1 month later...