Last minute visa run to Phnom Penh... Help & advice needed

Luung

Hi all,

My retirement visa's running out near the end of the month & due to new visa rulings, my local immigration office are consequently telling me that I've got to do a non overland visa run.... So, I've decided to fly to Phnom Penh & I'll need some tips & advice as well a few questions answered, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeese :yes:

How far is the Thai embassy from the river & bar areas?... I'm after a 60 day visa

Is renting motorbikes safe? i.e. Are they probably going to try to rip me off, are the police going to be all over me? Will there be a good chance that the bike will get knicked?

Are there push bikes for rent?

Are taxis expensive & will I constantly be getting in rows with grinning, slimey, cunning, little arsesoles who'll be constantly trying to take advantage of me??

As much as I want to rediscover Cambodia, this visa run has come as a complete surprise & I'm just not currently in the right frame of mind for a holiday (way, way, way, too much on my plate at the mo, as I'll be closing my life down here & going back to blighty in October). However, that said, I'd be stupid to turn my nose up at a well earned short break... So, bearing all that in mind, how long a stay would be advised? (I'm inclined to get bored with samey stuff & samey places).

Where can I stay in QUIET accommodation with reasonable wifi that is near to the action?... And currently, where is our sort of action?

Is there anyone on the ground right now who'd like to meet up, I'll be there from the 27th July?

Yesterday, I punched some furniture & really hurt my hand, when the Air Asia website informed me that there's now a charge for ANY 'checked' luggage! This just disgusted me to the pit of my stomach & sent me into uncontrollable rage! Especially as I was also informed that the 'carry on' baggage is soon to be going down to 5KG).. I'm still in a heightened state of anger, but considering that I'm the type who'll get bored going out every night, should I just bite the bullet & let them extort me, so that I can stay in & watch my downloaded documentaries on my laptop, when need be?.. I honestly can't answer this for myself right now.

Both Sihanoukville & Siem Reip are said to be 4/5 hrs' bus rides away?.. In most cases is this a true reality? (I'll only go into rage again if it isn't).

How much should I pay for an LT or ST?... Please don't forget that I'm a bit stingy... Will charm & a dapper exterior get me anywhere? (I should have calmed down a bit by then)?

Return flights currently being more expensive items that incoming ones'... Would going to Sihanoukville & then from there onto Patts be a realistic option? Or would it be an ordeal for someone who doesn't want to be away for too long?

Anything else to do in PP outside of whoring drinking?... I don't mind soaking up a bit of the culture, if there is any left there nowdays?

:hi:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Luung said:

How far is the Thai embassy from the river & bar areas?... I'm after a 60 day visa

Is renting motorbikes safe? i.e. Are they probably going to try to rip me off, are the police going to be all over me? Will there be a good chance that the bike will get knicked?

Are there push bikes for rent?

Are taxis expensive & will I constantly be getting in rows with grinning, slimey, cunning, little arsesoles who'll be constantly trying to take advantage of me??

The Thai embassy is not far from the river/bar areas but you really should not get your 60 day tourist visa at the embassy yourself. There are numerous trustworthy visa services along the riverfront and elsewhere who can get your visa for you in about 3 days, depending upon which day of the week you drop it off. Better to drop it off on a Monday or Tuesday if you can. The cost is about $45- $50 USD all in. You have to leave your passport with them, but they give you a receipt. I've done it about 4 times and never had a problem/delay.

I have no experience renting or riding motos in PP but I would advise against it because of traffic hazards, police shakedowns, etc.

I'm fairly certain you can rent push bikes but not sure where. Google it or check with some of the hostel websites.

Regarding tuk tuks, when I was there last year the prices ranged from $1 to $3 within the inner city of PP--$1(or 4000 Riel) for a short trip, $2 for medium trip, etc. It's usually an extra dollar with two passengers. It should cost $7 to take a tuk tuk from the airport, but it's a fairly long trip and really sucks because of smog and dust. I'd pay the extra $3 for a air con taxi. Everything is negotiable. Try not to get pissed off; just smile and walk away and 9 times out of 10 they will relent and call you back, especially now during low season.

Good luck finding quiet in PP, especially in the bar area. Sadly, I didn't do much LB hunting during my time in PP so I can't offer much advice on the LB bars. You can try Island Bar on St. 118 (I think it's 118 anyway). Consider GGs while there too. Lots of beauties about. Expensive though. GGs were charging around $50 minimum. LBs $20 to $40. Hard to get $20 though.

I'd consider Siem Reap instead of PP for you visa run. You can still get your Thai tourist visa while there but it will take an extra 3-4 days, so if you have a week to 10 days to spare for your holiday, might be worth it. Flights are cheaper to Siem Reap from BKK too, last time I checked, even with Bangkok Air. And you can fly to Snooky from Siem Reap if you want to go there. Another bonus is it is much safer to ride motos in Siem Reap if you want to explore on your own, and push bikes are available for hire. Some guesthouses have their own.

As far as culture goes, I didn't find much of interest in PP unless you like temples. More culture in Siem Reap. That's where I'll be going my next trip to Cambodia.

Good luck, mate; keep calm and carry on. :hi:

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Sylvester said:

The Thai embassy is not far from the river/bar areas but you really should not get your 60 day tourist visa at the embassy yourself. There are numerous trustworthy visa services along the riverfront and elsewhere who can get your visa for you in about 3 days, depending upon which day of the week you drop it off. Better to drop it off on a Monday or Tuesday if you can. The cost is about $45- $50 USD all in. You have to leave your passport with them, but they give you a receipt. I've done it about 4 times and never had a problem/delay.

I have no experience renting or riding motos in PP but I would advise against it because of traffic hazards, police shakedowns, etc.

I'm fairly certain you can rent push bikes but not sure where. Google it or check with some of the hostel websites.

Regarding tuk tuks, when I was there last year the prices ranged from $1 to $3 within the inner city of PP--$1(or 4000 Riel) for a short trip, $2 for medium trip, etc. It's usually an extra dollar with two passengers. It should cost $7 to take a tuk tuk from the airport, but it's a fairly long trip and really sucks because of smog and dust. I'd pay the extra $3 for a air con taxi. Everything is negotiable. Try not to get pissed off; just smile and walk away and 9 times out of 10 they will relent and call you back, especially now during low season.

Good luck finding quiet in PP, especially in the bar area. Sadly, I didn't do much LB hunting during my time in PP so I can't offer much advice on the LB bars. You can try Island Bar on St. 118 (I think it's 118 anyway). Consider GGs while there too. Lots of beauties about. Expensive though. GGs were charging around $50 minimum. LBs $20 to $40. Hard to get $20 though.

I'd consider Siem Reap instead of PP for you visa run. You can still get your Thai tourist visa while there but it will take an extra 3-4 days, so if you have a week to 10 days to spare for your holiday, might be worth it. Flights are cheaper to Siem Reap from BKK too, last time I checked, even with Bangkok Air. And you can fly to Snooky from Siem Reap if you want to go there. Another bonus is it is much safer to ride motos in Siem Reap if you want to explore on your own, and push bikes are available for hire. Some guesthouses have their own.

As far as culture goes, I didn't find much of interest in PP unless you like temples. More culture in Siem Reap. That's where I'll be going my next trip to Cambodia.

Good luck, mate; keep calm and carry on. :hi:

Thanks for the lengthy response, Sylvester, that's much appreciated!

So, I take it that the agents/bookers providing visa services in Siem Reap will be going to PP on my behalf, & that's where the extra waiting time comes in?

Shit, damm, blast, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuckin fuck!!!!... I've already booked the fukin' flight the PP yesterday, I feel so stupid now, as it's with Air Asia & it was on promotion, so there's no chance that they'll change it for just a clerical charge.

Bollox, I've got practically no wish what so ever, to go to Phnom Penh right now; but Siem Reap, you betcha, I'd love to go, especially for the history & the peace & quiet!!!

1 hour ago, sustra2 said:

never been there...but have been told Oudong is a nice place for a daytrip visit near PP...always wanted to go

10622932843_7ff25eb258_z.jpg

Thanks sustra2, What is it, it looks like a temple complex?

Well the good news in all of this Unc is that I'll get a chance to see you in PP.

Just got home will eventually get to the questions Syl didn't get to.

What Sylvester says is spot on.  The bar with the highest ratio of LBs is Island Bar on Street 118.  Candy Bar on Street 136 also has a few but since that's a much bigger bar the ratio is lower.  There's also an after hours joint with no barfine that they gravitate to in the wee hours at Golden Sorya Mall. I'd know the name if I heard it, and know exactly where it but  I can't remember the name. I don't enjoy going out alone and interacting with bargirls.   But would be fun to be your wing bro.

I'll show you the travel agent that handled my Cambo visa as well as the second and third choices if you want. They gave excellent service and had the lowest price for Cambo visa extensions. Would guess their price for Thai visas would also be competitive. 

Btw, In what way did the Extension of Stay" or what's commonly known as as "Retirement Visa" change?

Thanks for the heads up about the changes with Air Asia. I had just assumed that their carryon rules were the same as everyone else, which I believe is a 7kg carryon in certain dimensions plus a laptop case.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Luung said:

Thanks for the lengthy response, Sylvester, that's much appreciated!

So, I take it that the agents/bookers providing visa services in Siem Reap will be going to PP on my behalf, & that's where the extra waiting time comes in?

My pleasure, Luung.

Yes, your visa will be physically transported to PP and brought back to Siem Reap if you go that route. Assume the cost will be greater as well.

You'll have a great time in PP so don't beat yourself up too much, and Pdoggg is there so you will have a cheap charlie extraordinaire on the ground to help you save some money, :biggrin: and to be a hunting partner.

• Upvote 1

AirAsia has always charged for checked baggage. For the most part AirAsia stopped being a really cheap choice for an airline some time ago.

If you like quiet Siem Reap would be better. But unless you like to explore temples I would much rather be in PP. Unless you are really interested in some travel I would go to PP, use an express visa service and get out. If you only go for something like four days make sure the Thai embassy it open and working all those days. I used a non express visa service once and I gave them my passport on Sunday evening and didn't get it back until late Thursday night.  

You can get your tourist visa yourself at the Thai embassy. That should take two days if everything goes right. But much easier to use an express service.

12 hours ago, Luung said:

My retirement visa's running out near the end of the month & due to new visa rulings, my local immigration office are consequently telling me that I've got to do a non overland visa run....

What ruling is this?

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Luung said:

Where can I stay in QUIET accommodation with reasonable wifi that is near to the action?... And currently, where is our sort of action?

I stayed at Sundance for a few months and was more or less happy although the stairs were steep and the staff was never very anxious to clean up dogshit.

They now have a sister location that's a very quick walk to the Street 104 bar area and cheaper than the original location.

Not sure how quiet it is; might depend on which side of the guesthouse you're in but the price is right and it icludes free brekkie on Agoda and I think unlimited coffee.  Have never actually looked at the rooms though.

http://www.asiahotelandtravel.com/index.php/topic/11-phnom-penh-accommodation/page-2?p=701#entry701

I am not sure how quiet this

• Upvote 1

Whooah, thanks for all your responses everyone, this is all really helpful stuff... Looks like all's not lost & I might be able to get through this with a smile on my face. :yes:

And I got me a wingman too! I'll really look forward to catching up Pdoggg, I miss your company, mate, this is be well overdue... And of course, fun!

xyzzy...  Thanks for your good advice too, but please, don't ask me about what rulings are what? My my irregular brain just doesn't work that way, I'll just get confused, flustered & finally disengage, before turning into a jelly baby & start rocking backward & forward in a crazed looking stupor, whilst dribbling bile out of the side of my mouth...

All I can tell you is that when this 'exact' same situation arose two years back, I was first given a 60 day extension of my non 'o' visa at CNX immigration & then when it expired I went to Mea Sai, did a walk over & got granted another 60 days on arrival... BAMM!

I could have fallen over, as I really didn't expect this type of luck at either immigration or the border.

BTW, last time I used Air Asia, (admittedly a while ago), they didn't charge on baggage up to 13KG... I even remember throwing some old shoes around CNX airport to get the weight down.

Sustra2, That sounds like an interesting day trip, especially if they've got some type of museum there! it will be very interesting to see what vestiges of their original Kamere culture can be found there.

Again, thanks everyone... I'll keep in touch PDoggg

At the airport:

I have a different visa than you. I believe a tourist visa is 30 USD so come with some dollars.  You'll also need a passport sized photo.

~

Buy yourself a Sim Card and put 2 bucks of load on it.  I have CellCard; not really sure which brand is best. You need to show your passport and it's much easier to sort this out at the airport than in town. You pay for the Sim and load in dollars.

~

At the airport it's a very easy 2 minute walk outside the airport gate where you can find tuks tuks for 5 USD.  Before you even get outside the gate they'll be trying to get you to choose them.  So pick a guy you like and quicky agree on 5 bucks. If for some reason that's not happening quickly them just move on. There will be plenty of tuks tuks to choose from.

Although you might be able to beat them up and pay 4 bucks, I recommend paying 5 and having a happy driver for your Phnom Penh experience.

You can either say 5 dollars and don't budge.  Or you can say 4 bucks and settle on 5.

the drivers will only accept dollars or riel and strongly suggest you have exact change.

If there's a torrential downpour you may not want the 2 minute walk so there's an option to pay extra inside the airport. 

But when you get to the area in the airport where you would arrange for the airport tuk tuk just walk to the left on the road and you will be quickly outside the airport. 

I personally enjoy the tuk tuk trip into the city.  Loved it the first time and every time since.  Gives you a flavor of the city. My favorite trip from the airport to the city of every city in the world.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

At the airport:

I have a different visa than you. I believe a tourist visa is 30 USD so come with some dollars.  You'll also need a passport sized photo.

~

Buy yourself a Sim Card and put 2 bucks of load on it.  I have CellCard; not really sure which brand is best. You need to show your passport and it's much easier to sort this out at the airport than in town. You pay for the Sim and load in dollars.

~

At the airport it's a very easy 2 minute walk outside the airport gate where you can find tuks tuks for 5 USD.  Before you even get outside the gate they'll be trying to get you to choose them.  So pick a guy you like and quicky agree on 5 bucks. If for some reason that's not happening quickly them just move on. There will be plenty of tuks tuks to choose from.

Although you might be able to beat them up and pay 4 bucks, I recommend paying 5 and having a happy driver for your Phnom Penh experience.

You can either say 5 dollars and don't budge.  Or you can say 4 bucks and settle on 5.

the drivers will only accept dollars or riel and strongly suggest you have exact change.

If there's a torrential downpour you may not want the 2 minute walk so there's an option to pay extra inside the airport. 

But when you get to the area in the airport where you would arrange for the airport tuk tuk just walk to the left on the road and you will be quickly outside the airport. 

I personally enjoy the tuk tuk trip into the city.  Loved it the first time and every time since.  Gives you a flavor of the city. My favorite trip from the airport to the city of every city in the world.

Again, thanks for the superb advice, PDoggg, I actually intended to bring about $500 & then just chew up some baht at a bad exchange rate if I run out of funds.

Things like tuk tuk rides from airports into new cities are always interesting & quite exciting for me too & I learnt long ago that in spite of my aversion & unpredictable behaviour towards cabbies, for that first ride from the airport to where I'm going, I've just got to suck it up, smile, bite the bullet & pay the money... I can start calling them all shitdogs & thieves once I'm in PP 5555

11 hours ago, SiamSam said:

Unc,

Awhile back I did exactly what Mr. Doggg advises and it worked well. Easy. 

I am kinda of envious of you going to PP. Overall it is an interesting experience. Enjoy yourself. 

Thanks Sam... interesting's what I'm after

If you want to skip the hassle of the visa line at the airport you can get a e-visa before your trip. https://www.evisa.gov.kh/  Overall it will end up costing about $40. I'm the lazy type so I always get an e-visa and walk directly to immigration. It won't make your checked baggage come out any faster. So sometimes I gain an advantage time wise and sometimes I don't. With an e-visa I can usually walk right up to an available immigration booth with no waiting. 

I also use cellcard. There was a time when it was far and away the best cell provider in PP. I don't think it makes that much difference anymore. But I have a friend that has lived in PP for years and he uses cellcard. It cost him and I less to talk and text each other if we are on the same network. When in PP in March I was not asked for my passport to get a SIM. You can get a 3G/4G SIM in PP if you want internet or just a basic 2G SIM. 

If this is your first trip it is interesting to take a tuk-tuk into town unless perhaps it's raining like crazy. I used a tuk-tuk the first couple of trips but now I take a car from the airport $12. I like air conditioning. :yes:

Maybe someone else knows but I have no idea how one exchanges baht for $US in PP. There are lots of exchange stands around but I think they only give Riel. You could use Riel but the notes are in smaller values than $US so it would be kind of a PITA. There must be someway to change baht for $US. So if someone knows I will learn something here also.

• Upvote 1

Good to know about the air con taxis for the odd torrential downpour, & that's a very interesting question regarding exchanging baht for dollars whilst in PP, xyzzy... Shame that there hasn't been any answers

So, everyone.. How should i access my funds when my $500 runs out?... What are the ATM's like?.. Will I just draw out the local currency (riel) from either an existing Thai Baht or Sterling account through an ATM machine?... Will the charges be excessive? It costs me roughly £3 to get Sterling from England out from an ATM in Thailand... Or will I have to go into a local bank with passports & stuff?.. I just dunno?? things were incredibly antiquated last time I was in Cambodia.

Anyway, PDoggg, has done a sterling job helping me to access a $13 room in the Sundance Riverside, Guest Hse.. I've just booked it on Agoda, $16 per night with the taxes etc... Brilliant value & no I.D. checks!

The place looks like a bit of a 'good ole' boys' hang out from the photos, so i doubt that i'll be in the bar much & the room is a cell without views, (so that should also hopefully mean that it's quiet)? Plus, it looks clean & there's a flat screen, wi fi, room safe, unlimited coffee & a breakfast... So, it should suffice, for at least the first two nights?

Unfortunately, I arrive, late in the afternoon on Wednesday, 27th, so that probably means that I won't get my visa back until after the weekend, which is a bummer?.. But hey, maybe that's more incentive to go find a roommate :yes:

In view of the fact that i'll be doing at least 6 nights, owing to the weekend, I've decided to bite the bullet & go to CNX airport to politely pay for the extra baggage. and it also looks like I may well have to move on after the second night & find somewhere with views, & a bit more tranquility & ambiance, plus, no I.D. checks & hopefully a useable pool (if that's not too much to ask)

... Talking of which, does anyone know of any public swimming pools?... I'm slightly amphibious & a regular miler, so access to a good facility would be superb!

17 hours ago, Luung said:

So, everyone.. How should i access my funds when my $500 runs out?... What are the ATM's like?.. Will I just draw out the local currency (riel) from either an existing Thai Baht or Sterling account through an ATM machine?

ATMs in Cambodia give $US. The ATM fee will likely be ~$5 for a withdrawal. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/19/2016 at 7:14 PM, xyzzy said:

Maybe someone else knows but I have no idea how one exchanges baht for $US in PP.

I never tried since I just assumed that the exchange rate is poor.  If I pass a bank I will inquire but almost all of my free time is on weekends when the banks are closed.  

There are some reports that Maybank doesn't charge a fee for Visa cards (but they do for Mastercard).  But there's a good chance they charge a fee now. Their main branch is at 144 and Norodom which is inbetween the Street 51 bar area and the Street 136 bar area,

====================================================================

For the guys who are new to this:

The fee that the Cambodian Bank charges. is one of only many charges. There could be your home bank service fee, and.or a foreign exchange fee or percentage.

Finding out the total fees is not an easy task. Some bank statements are not transparent. For example, when Canadia was free a few years ago, my home bank statement didn't list it's $2 fee with the transaction but somewhere at the bottom of my statement.

I've found calling up customer service in my home country often resulted in a rep just making up info.  They're not really sure, it could be called a visa fee instead of a bank fee and so on and so on.

Ok, so how do you guys draw money out? I'm quite sure that there will not be many of us who would invite a $5/£3 kick up the spuds, every time that we want to draw money out of an ATM? And I'm also pretty sure that the designated, highest amounts, that we could draw out of these machines at any one go will be pretty low.. Do you find sister banks to your own & go in & change funds over the counter, hopefully free of charges? How do people do it??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Talking of money, I went to SCB yesterday to change either some Baht or Sterling for $500 Yankee dollars (prices for both currencies were practically the same, so obviously Brexit didn't do us Brits that much harm), & they declined me! Apparently, they have to wait for someone to deposit some American money!?!.. So, I'm going to the airport today, so as to draw the money form an ATM & then use a money exchange at extortionate rates.

Finally.... I forgot the most important question of all... Can I get any Xanax or Valium from either the pharmacies or some little chap running around the streets selling the stuff?

4 hours ago, Luung said:

Finally.... I forgot the most important question of all... Can I get any Xanax or Valium from either the pharmacies or some little chap running around the streets selling the stuff?

Don't know if Xanax, Valium or their generic equivalents are sold in pharmacies and there are no little chaps running around the street as in Angeles City.  I can show you a pharmacy where I do get good prices though.

One of the moneychangers quoted 28 baht per dollar. With the actual rate being about 35 that's a 20% commission. I will try to pop by a bank next week to inquire.

I would caution against buying drugs from street vendors as the odds of getting a counterfeit product or adulterated (not in a good way - contaminated with unwanted products), is much more likely.

While I haven't attempted to buy medication i Cambodia a few forums I've checked indicate that most pharmacies in Cambodia will sell benzodiazepines like Valium, Ativan, Xanax, without prescription.

• Upvote 1