On the Road to Sihanoukville

bumblebee

Can't wait :)

DAMN BB, you was in Cambodia at the same time *I* was, Dammit. I found ladyboys aplenty in Pursat :p

Maybe find my pics of the Christmas Day Khmer wedding mine took me to. LOL

Good to see you have RETURNED.

This all happened back in November alas, back home in Europe now. It was good to see Cambodia again after 3 years.

• 7 months later...

Great read BB. Lots of fun indeed. Just makes me think its time to get to sihanoukville next year.

Has anyone done the trek across the border and through to Koh Chang? Would like to hear about that :)

Cheers Azza. I can back to Thailand that way but not via Koh Chang island. The bus from Phnom Penh to Pattaya came through the coastal border. Some epic trip with lots of silly stops on the Thai side.

Cheers Azza. I can back to Thailand that way but not via Koh Chang island. The bus from Phnom Penh to Pattaya came through the coastal border. Some epic trip with lots of silly stops on the Thai side.

Sounds like its the same direction.

Was it easy to get a bus travelling the coastal route? Cost? Any issues at the border?

Thanks bb

Was it easy to get a bus travelling the coastal route? Cost? Any issues at the border?

Yes, it is very easy to book from Snooky to Ko Chang and cheap as chips.

You can book a bus fro Snooky to KC but no matter what they say it is a bus/van combo to the Ko Chang ferry. If you are OK with reckless van drivers speeding and passing on blind curves on a 2 lane road then it's a great option.

At the Thai border they insist on the every last seat in the van being filled so it is possible that you could miss the last ferry of day.

The big border issues are going from Thailand to Cambodia not from Cambodia to Thailand. But when your bags are taken off the bus at the border a Cambo fuckwit will make believe he is with the bus company and want to wheel your bags from the bus to immigration. Just take your bags from the guy and say "art day arkon" which is Khmer for "mai ow khrap". There will also be some guy on the street wanting to expedite your departure on the Cambo side, he should also be art day arkoned.

No issues with Thai immigration, you get a 15 day tourist stamp, if you need longer you will need to already have a 60 day Thai visa.

Bumped: Some guys i have met over the past month and a half were curious to read this tale.

Thanks for the bump Khun Bumblebee, and I read it again over a jug of my local IPA(btw siamsam it's delicious) still as funny and informative as the first time i read it.

It was great meeting you and pdogg in Pattaya this year,also great running into Ninewives again!

Have a merry xmas and a happy new year you lucky dogs! wish I was there!

Iceberg :biggrin:

• 4 months later...

Ok thanks, will give them a try, i kinda know a few people around sihanoukville so was hoping for a contact number or email, to set up a visit to my hotel or at least away from the gossips up on the hill!!

Makes sense.  Perhaps some of the other guys can help out.  Have a great time there Stev, it's a great spot.

Not a lot in the way of ladyboys up at Victory Hill, just a handful, pretty slim pickings. In fact no where near what some guys are used to having spent time in Pattaya but they are there. It requires leg-work, time, effort and a little luck anywhere outside of Phnom Penh, even there you need to tick a few of the above.

If the above is not on your side I can only suggest the Dolphin Shack down on Ochheuteal Beach from midnight well into the small hours. A few pissed backpackers to endure but a few of ours can be found freelancing among the gash-girls either inside or nearby on the beach. It is just an open-air bar and certainly nothing special, but it has become a gathering point.

Remember, you only need to find one ladyboy and she will know the places to go to find more. Just be tactful and play your cards right if she is not your ideal first choice. It could be money and time well spent.

There are two chicken farms in and around Snooky. One near the port and the other further inland beyond the main central market. Almost impossible to give directions.

• Upvote 2

Dolphin Shack 

There are two chicken farms in and around Snooky. One near the port and the other further inland beyond the main central market. Almost impossible to give directions.

The nice thing about Dolphin is that besides the covered portion of the bar there is seating on the beach where you can have a conversation.  From around midnight till 4AM.

Despite getting directions to both chicken farms, I was unable to find either despite having a trusty wingman on the other moto.

Hey Guys I can assure you this is going to be a good one! :clapping:

Just my 100 riel on the politics, nothing wrong with eminent domain to promote the greater good of society however if one's land is seized one should be fairly compensated and it seems the powers that be never want to be fair if they don't have to be.

Where do you think the profit margin comes from in a job like this? Lo-ball the bid and make the profit where you can. That is how it is done in Asia.

I've only been to Dolphin Bar a few times and I really wouldn't recommend it.  It's a strange place to pick up a hooker as all the young backpacker wankers hang around there.  It really is their gaff.  Every fucker is stoned, and every cunt's got a beard and scabby feet - including the women.  I thought the place was full of the pretentious teenage twats who seem to be drawn to the backpacker experience.  Even when I was their age I think I would have avoided the place.

More importantly. the labyboys that frequent the bar looking for customers are full-on hardcore skanks.  To me they looked like slightly older street kids who found a wig and some discarded makeup in a trash can.  They looked smelly, desperate, and dangerous.

Maybe I just saw the place on a bad few days.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Cheers guys, now let's finish this day off with a grand finale. After the event described we decide it's about time we went back to the hotel, and the fact that it is now 4.20, makes this seems like a reasonable idea. But hey, let's finish it off with a swim in the pool there we all agree.

So the whole group of us make our way over to the hotel on a few tuk tuks, a short 3 minute ride. By the time I arrive, Kliome is already in his boxers and ready to get wet. We are not making much noise, well to our drunken ears it seems that way, but suddenly a woman appears on the upper balcony and tells us to leave, not just the pool but the hotel.

We are not sure who she is in the darkness, but then a man appears poolside who claims to be the manager and he tells us the same thing. It is obvious they do not want a gang of LBs staying on the premises.

We try to reason with the guy that we will go to our rooms, but he is having none of it and insists we leave immediately, it's now about 4.40 am. Realising me have no choice, we get our stuff from the rooms, with the help of the LBs and there we all are, a sorry bunch, standing with our bags in the pitch darkness on the road outside the hotel. Fortunately we have not paid the $30 each for the rooms, and the manager never mentions it, it seems he just wants rid of us.

It must have been some sight for any passer by, seeing a group of westerners and LBs carring a load of luggage in the darkness along the street at this ungodly hour. We manage to find rooms about 5 minutes walk away, and this is ok for a few hours, until we can decide on our next move in the morning.

The end of an eventful day.

* Most photos courtesy of Coco.

Just started reading this thread. Fantastic story, getting put on the street early in the morning, in thedarkness, drunk, dazed and confused.